Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin F5D7231-4P Router Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin F5D7231-4P Router Problem

Old 19-05-2006, 21:59   #1
James79
Inactive

Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb. 1 Additional VHD Box
James79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to James79
Belkin F5D7231-4P Router Problem

OK - I know this sort of problem has been discussed on other threads, but I havent seen / read anything similar to the scenario that I am experiencing.

About 2 months ago, we purchased a new laptop with wireless capabilities. As a result, we decided to utilise this, so bought the above wireless router from PC world.

The main PC is connected to this router via ethernet cable as shown in the instructions.

For a few weeks, everything seemed to work well - with no breakdown in the connection with the internet.

Then, one evening I noticed that everytime I tried to connect to the web, a "The Page is Unable to be Displayed" page is shown.

I rebooted the router, and for a while all worked well.

Ever since this first experience, I have constantly observed frequent, but random disconnection from the internet.

I believe that the router is at fault in this case as it seems to be rebooting itself frequently (and connection is lost just prior to the reboot). I think this is possibly a setup problem - but cannot be sure.

All of the lights (that are supposed to be lit) remain on - so there is no fault there!

Oh - just in case - the modem that connects to the NTL Broadband network is a Terayon Terajet TJ210.

Seriously starting to get annoyed with this as I seem to be disconnected more thn I am connected!!!!!

I contacted Belkin about this several days ago, but havent received a reply as yet - I wont hold my breath!!!!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks

James
James79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2006, 22:41   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: Belkin F5D7231-4P Router Problem

Belkin in my experience are usually good with this sort of thing, they normally look after their customers in my experience with them.

Can i ask about heat? have you moved anything a little closer to the Belkin? made it have less airflow round it?
The only good thing i can see about this is that it reboots after it's lost its connection, therefore re-instating it when it's back on.

Try googling for issues wioth your firmware version too.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 23:16   #3
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

i work at pc world m8, seen alot of belklin routers come back, for some reason they just die, no matter which sort they are
just out of interest has the power light changed colour or flashing at all?
if it is, just take it back to pc world and they will swop it for you, as long as you have your reciept, or just take it back and get another brand.
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2006, 23:24   #4
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobna
i work at pc world m8, seen alot of belklin routers come back, for some reason they just die, no matter which sort they are just out of interest has the power light changed colour or flashing at all? if it is, just take it back to pc world and they will swop it for you, as long as you have your reciept, or just take it back and get another brand.
Still got my original Belkin F5D7630UK, works a treat, stronger than my WRT54G too... Although it only works in bridge mode for cable
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 09:31   #5
James79
Inactive

Services: VIP Pack including (V+ HD & VHD Box), Sky Sports & Movies, Up to 152Mb. 1 Additional VHD Box
James79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of lightJames79 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druchii
Can i ask about heat? have you moved anything a little closer to the Belkin? made it have less airflow round it?
How much airflow does the router need? Nevertheless, I havent moved the router since its installation, and there isnt anything that overhangs to covers it to reduce the rate of airflow, so dont think that is the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobna
just out of interest has the power light changed colour or flashing at all?
if it is, just take it back to pc world and they will swop it for you, as long as you have your reciept, or just take it back and get another brand.
The power / printer activity light ( the one to the extreme left) does not go off. This remains lit whenever it is switched on at the mains (as it should). So, not too sure.....

I've checked for firmware updates using the router interface and it tells me that there are not any updates - it is plausible however that the problem is related to this. This is the first Belkin product that I have had problems with - although the rest were surge protectors - so what could go wrong with them?

I'll google for firmware problems anyway!!

Still - keep your comments flowing

James
Old 20-05-2006, 13:09   #6
James79
Inactive

Just a few more observations:

A stated previously, I had noticed that the Belkin Router would randomly reboot - for no apparent reason.

I have now noticed that, at the same time, the Cable Modem (supplied by ntl - Terajet TJ210) was also rebooting.

Im now trying to ascertain which device is forcing the other to reboot. I assume that the only way to do this is by a process of elimination - ie disconnecting the router, and connecting the PC directly to the Terajet CM??

Anyhow, I'll watch this today to see if the CM continues to reboot at random (something that Ive never seen it do).

If this does continue to occur, would I be correct in assuming that the fault lies with the CM and not with the router as originally thought.???

Please feel free to correct me if Im wrong!

James