Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Charged despite no connection

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Charged despite no connection

Old 14-09-2010, 15:15   #1
ultimate
cf.geek

Services: 200Mb,TV FH V6 and Phone
ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough
Charged despite no connection

I rang my daughter's Virgin mobile, I think she has switched it off, so I got the message "The number you dialled is not available" which is expected. Yesterday, after this message, it went on, "if you want to leave a free sms, you can........", I hung up and found I was charged 15p !!!! This is robbery.
ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-09-2010, 15:17   #2
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Charged despite no connection

Thats always been the case on any operator, thats your phone company charging a connection fee
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 15:32   #3
ultimate
cf.geek

ultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the roughultimate is a jewel in the rough

My phone company for mobile is also Virgin, but no connection has been made, so why a connection charge? It wasn't like that a few days ago, I made numerous calls to her when there is no answer or message saying it is unavailable, but no charge was ever made until yesterday.
Old 14-09-2010, 15:58   #4
Pauls9
Inactive

Services: VM TVM HD, BBL, phone; BT phone; Freeview.
Pauls9 has reached the bronze age
Pauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze agePauls9 has reached the bronze age

You get charged for talking to their voicemail service. It can be ruddy annoying if, like our kids, the other party never checks their messages - 17p or whatever for a 2 second wasted call.

My wife's t-mobile phone suddenly developed voicemail recently. She started receiving messages "you've got voicemail - call this number" only to find the number was barred from her phone. We had to call the operator's services to get the "service" disabled.
Pauls9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 10:22   #5
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate View Post
My phone company for mobile is also Virgin, but no connection has been made, so why a connection charge? It wasn't like that a few days ago, I made numerous calls to her when there is no answer or message saying it is unavailable, but no charge was ever made until yesterday.
You connected to the voicemail, so a charge applies.
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 11:07   #6
ultimate
cf.geek

I do not believe this is a voice mail, it didn't ask me to leave a message, instead it asked me to send a free sms. In any case voicemail on my daughters' phones have been disabled long time ago.

An email have been sent to Virgin Mobile staff to clarify the situation, will update here when I hear from them.
Old 22-09-2010, 20:29   #7
ultimate
cf.geek

Virgin mobile staff rang me just now to say there had been a software error whereby the system had mistaken treated the "free sms message" is a connection to voice mail, he has refunded me the 15p and he assured me changes had been made to the system so that only connection to the voice mail will be recognised as such.
Old 23-09-2010, 00:00   #8
Digital Fanatic
Inactive

Services: VM XL TV with VM TiVo 1TB x 2 > VM XL BB > VM XL Telephone
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star
Digital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny starDigital Fanatic has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Virgin mobile staff rang me just now to say there had been a software error whereby the system had mistaken treated the "free sms message" is a connection to voice mail, he has refunded me the 15p and he assured me changes had been made to the system so that only connection to the voice mail will be recognised as such.
Glad it's sorted
Digital Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 09:01   #9
foelock
Inactive

foelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I rang my daughter's Virgin mobile, I think she has switched it off, so I got the message "The number you dialled is not available" which is expected. Yesterday, after this message, it went on, "if you want to leave a free sms, you can........", I hung up and found I was charged 15p !!!! This is robbery.

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 ----------

Quote:

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

I am very surprised at virgin for doing this con, I have run a test over the last two weeks and yes they charge for any call if it connects or not a minimum of minute if you are on a bundle or in my case 30p per call. I tried to call a friend 3 times but unable and found I was changed 90p and did not get to talk to her this is a carp service. you cannot change your bundle until your renew date so you end up paying extra at 30p a call and as you pay for un-answered calls this will soon add up, like my bill did to over £70 where my bill is normally only £30 per month, I’m not happy with what I have found so most likely will be changing again.

---------- Post added at 09:01 ---------- Previous post was at 08:55 ----------

Beware of virgin media new bundle offer, I have run a test over the last two weeks and they charge for any call if it connects or not a minimum of minute if you are on a bundle or in my case 30p per call. I tried to call a friend 3 times but unable and found I was changed 90p and did not get to talk to her this is a carp service. you cannot change your bundle until your renew date so you end up paying extra at 30p a call and as you pay for un-answered calls this will soon add up, like my bill did to over £70 where my bill is normally only £30 per month, I’m not happy with what I have found so most likely will be changing again.
foelock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 11:48   #10
Pog66
Inactive

Services: SKY HD+, BT BB
Pog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant futurePog66 has a brilliant future

As previously mentioned in this thread - this is standard across most if not all mobile companies. it's nnot the mobile companies problem that the call is not answered or goes to voice mail!!
Pog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 12:38   #11
foelock
Inactive

I still use my old phone company when I have too and they do not charge for calls that do not connect; the only problem with them is their network is very poor and sometimes it sound like you are talking to a dalek. This is the first company I have known to charge like this, I am waiting for a reply from ofcom, before I take it farther.
Old 28-09-2010, 13:11   #12
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by foelock View Post
I still use my old phone company when I have too and they do not charge for calls that do not connect; the only problem with them is their network is very poor and sometimes it sound like you are talking to a dalek. This is the first company I have known to charge like this, I am waiting for a reply from ofcom, before I take it farther.
It is a common misconception that OFCOM will get involved in individual situations. They don't, you have to go via the appropriate ADR, having exhausted the supplier's own complaint process first.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/tell-us/telecoms/

The ADR for Virgin Mobile is OTELO.

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2009/12/adr-schemes/

http://www.otelo.org.uk/
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2010, 23:01   #13
foelock
Inactive

Many thanks but I will most likely vote with my feet… Good bye Virgin ….