Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Unrecognised printer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Unrecognised printer

Old 01-04-2009, 17:00   #1
Cigos
Inactive

Cigos is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Unrecognised printer

Hello Fellows,
This is my first approach. If I am in error anywhere advise soonest.
I net work two computers and two printers in my home office. Recently I wished to use both printers at the same time; bearing in mind one printer is USB'd to one printer only. I attempted to print through my wife's computer, working from my Toshiba, only to be informed by the printer dialog box the it did not know the correct port on the other computer, so could not oblige.
Can anyone describe how I can identify the port in question and thus enable me to put this matter right.

In Anticipation, Cigos
Cigos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2009, 17:38   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Unrecognised printer

I have seen printer issues on networks simply caused by failing to boot up the computers in a sequence the computers liked. Try restarting the computer with the printer attached that didn't connect properly, and then restart the other computer?

After that you'll need to look for the conflict in the printer settings and see that they are both shared using different names over the network.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 18:52   #3
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

<shudder>Good luck, dude. There is nothing, nothing, NOTHING in IT that causes more trouble than printing. I've held this opinion for 20+ years, and I've worked on 8-, 16- and 32-bit home computers, Novell networks, various UNIX flavours and even VAX/VMS - and the words 'printer problem' still give me the screamin' heebie-jeebies.

My sister's all-in-one HP1317 is a case in point; every so often Vista forgets all about it, or decides the generic printer should be the default...usually in the middle of a printing job.

They've had decades to get it down pat. It should be sorted by now. Why is this sort of thing still happening?

WINDOWS 11, ANYONE?!
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 19:56   #4
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

I recently was wakened in the middle of the night by the printer starting and printing complete gibberish, the girlfriend was not impressed.
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 21:53   #5
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman328 View Post
I recently was wakened in the middle of the night by the printer starting and printing complete gibberish, the girlfriend was not impressed.
Wasn't there a virus that did that a few years ago?

Memory fails me but I'm vaguely remembering something that did a network scan and set printers off in the process.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote