Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bandwidth Limiting a Second Connection?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bandwidth Limiting a Second Connection?

Old 18-03-2009, 15:08   #1
smeagoly1
Inactive

Services: Bugger all now apart from 8meg ADSL and only 2 meg at best!!!! I want my 20meg cable back!
smeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nice
Bandwidth Limiting a Second Connection?

Hi all.

Is it possible to limit bandwidth on the wired connection of my wirless router?

The setup is...
Netgear WG834 Wirless Router.
1 PC Wireless Connected loaded with Vista Ultimate.

1 PS3 Ethernet Connected.

I need to limit how much the PS3 uses up when wired, on the bandwidth as it almost prevents pages from loading up on the PC.

The PC has to be wireless, due to it's placment in the home.

Any suggestions as always appreciated.

Regards
Smee
smeagoly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2009, 15:17   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Bandwidth Limiting a Second Connection?

If that router has QoS (Quality of Service) capabilities, you should be able to adjust things to find a balance.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2009, 16:41   #3
smeagoly1
Inactive

Services: Bugger all now apart from 8meg ADSL and only 2 meg at best!!!! I want my 20meg cable back!
smeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nice

Unfortunatly this is a VM Supplied DG834G V3 Netgear and doesn't seem to have QoS in any of it's settings.
Any alternative ideas to configuring or maybe a software solution?
Old 18-03-2009, 17:45   #4
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

So you want to limit the PS3, not the PC? The PS3 is wired...so you don't need to limit a wireless channel.

Unfortunately I don't know how to limit a PS3 without using QoS settings on the router, but if it were the PC that needed limiting, I'd know how.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 12:00   #5
smeagoly1
Inactive

Yeah as unfortunatly we find our sons PS3 seems to devour bandwidth like a black hole.
We can have a PC and Laptop on at the same time, one gaming the other heavy browsing with no problem. But soon as you have one pc and the PS3 on, it just makes using the internet, even e-mails impossible.
The PS3 is only hardwired as we can have some control over how long he spends online during school nights. If there is an easy way of throttling it, if it was wireless i'd settle for doing something like that, then just powering down the router at night.