Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What type of cable is needed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What type of cable is needed?

Old 18-02-2009, 21:39   #1
TheOne
Inactive

TheOne is an unknown quantity at this point
What type of cable is needed?

What kind of cable is needed to connect 2 Windows XP desktop PC's, which have network cards in.

PC 1 - is connected to virgin media broadband (via ethernet) and it also has a 2nd network card

PC 2 - has a network card

I used to have them connected with a cable about 2 years ago, but it got damaged whilst the carpets were being changed and haven't replaced the cable as the 2nd PC isn't used that much. So don't want a router of any sort.
If i remember correctly, the cable cost in the region of £5-10

Anyone know which kind of cable it is? and any good online retailers?

Many Thanks
TheOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-02-2009, 21:40   #2
Axegrinder
Inactive

Services: Virgin BB M 10Mb Freeview
Axegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really niceAxegrinder is just really nice
Re: What type of cable is needed?

Standard cat5e ethernet will do.
Axegrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 00:53   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

A CrossOver Ethernet cable is the one you want.

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catal...h-15metre.html

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 09:46   #4
TheOne
Inactive

I've been looking on the internet and some have the words "UTP" and "RJ45" , are these type suitable for what i'm trying to do?

Thanks guys
Old 19-02-2009, 10:09   #5
bw41101
cf.geek

Services: Broadband XL TV XL Phone - A device with buttons that makes a funny noise when it rings!
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal
bw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appealbw41101 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
Just to clarify, a crossover ethernet cable is the same as a cat5e ethernet cable?

Thanks guys
No it is wired differently, see this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

If you're networking two PC's then you'll need one of these.

Si thee
bw41101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 11:21   #6
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

RJ45 is the name of the connector plug. For example RJ11 is the smaller dial up modem sized plug.

UTP stands for Unshielded Twisted Pair. It is a way of how the cable is produced.
See here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 21:59   #7
PaulyG
Inactive

Services: TV Telephone Internet
PaulyG is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi There,

This is my first post on this forum...

I have ntl world (Virgin) cable. I want to renew my network cables from Cat 5 to Cat 6. This includes the one from the modem to the Netgear router and the one from the router to my MAC. I also want another to connect to my work laptop.

It's my understanding that Cat 6 will give me a better connection - is this correct? Also I'm not sure which one to choose from there seems to be different types.

Could you guys guide me in the right direction here please?

Many thanks
PaulyG
PaulyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 22:03   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Cat6 will not really improve a 100Mbps ethernet connection but is used for gigabit (1000Mbps) connections. You'll see no difference whatsoever in making the change unless you're looking at runs of 100meters..

What's the current problem with your cat5 cables??? Perhaps there might be other suggestions..

PS///Welcome to the forum
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2009, 22:10   #9
PaulyG
Inactive

Thanks Kymmy,

Well I just need to get another network cable so I thought I'd get a Cat6 and while I was at it renew the others.

So do you suggest sticking with Cat5 then? If so which one?

Cheers

PaulyG
Old 22-02-2009, 00:00   #10
TheOne
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
What kind of cable is needed to connect 2 Windows XP desktop PC's, which have network cards in.

PC 1 - is connected to virgin media broadband (via ethernet) and it also has a 2nd network card

PC 2 - has a network card

I used to have them connected with a cable about 2 years ago, but it got damaged whilst the carpets were being changed and haven't replaced the cable as the 2nd PC isn't used that much. So don't want a router of any sort.
If i remember correctly, the cable cost in the region of £5-10

Anyone know which kind of cable it is? and any good online retailers?

Many Thanks

I bought an ethernet crossover cable today and it doesnt work. Looks like i'll have to return it!

Do i need a cat5e cable ? Im very confused now
Old 22-02-2009, 09:14   #11
Noggo
Inactive

Services: VM XL broadband, Sky+ TV and BT phone
Noggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation eraNoggo has entered a golden reputation era

It's a cross over cable you need to network two PC's together. Look at section `How Do I Connect Two PCs Together?' from here:http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ussel_hni.mspx

Are you sure it's a cross cable, just place both ends together and the same way up and look at the colour coding:

from Yahoo answer:
Quote:
firstly you'll need to make sure that you have a Crossover cable and not a straight through cable.

to check which cable you have, check the connectors at both ends, the straight through cable will have all 8 wires in same sequence at both ends, and the crossover cable will have 1 interchanged with 3 and 2 interchanged with 6 on one end.

after resolving the crossover cable issue, connect the cable to both PC's ethernet socket. and start up windows. in both PCs go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > "Ur Network Card's Properties", and then double click 'TCP/IP settings', then in the addresses field, type 192.168.1.xx (xx can be any number from 1 to 254, both PCs must have different xx numbers), enter the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0, and then click OK/FINISH/CLOSE/whatever the window has, and then go to the properties of 'My Computer' and in one the tabs you'll see your computer's Group name, type in your group name (can be anything, i.e. homeLAN, myLAN, WORKGROUP, MSHOME) and make sure the other PC has the same group name.

then open My Network places and click Show Computers in my Work Group. at this point (after waiting for a few seconds) you should see the computer name of your PC and the other PC which you configured.

make shared folders on both PCs, and you'll be able to see those shared folders in the my network places > 'that pcs name'

any file in that shared folder will be accessable to the other PC. in order to make shared folder's writable, you'll have to write the 'write access' check box when sharing a folder (from folder's properties)
Noggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 09:51   #12
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulyG View Post
Thanks Kymmy,

Well I just need to get another network cable so I thought I'd get a Cat6 and while I was at it renew the others.

So do you suggest sticking with Cat5 then? If so which one?

Cheers

PaulyG
You'll find that most these days are CAT5E, they're all made upto a certain standard but some can be better than others...I tend to just buy them from screwfix or make them up myself...Screwfix do a 10m for less than £4..ebay is also another good source...
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 18:57   #13
KingDaveRa
Inactive

Services: Broadband Gamer, Phone M, Tivo V6.
KingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the roughKingDaveRa is a jewel in the rough

Only real reason for having Cat6 is if you are going to be running gigabit ethernet over it at full horizontal length (100m) or 10gig ethernet (I think has a maximum of 40m iirc). But you'd probably run 10-gig over fibre anyway, unless you were really desperate.

Anyway, cat 5e is still perfectly sufficient. Even at nearly full lengths, Gig-e runs perfectly happily.
KingDaveRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2009, 20:03   #14
PaulyG
Inactive

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've now ordered Cat5e cables.

Paul