Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | network hdd

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

network hdd

Old 25-12-2008, 20:16   #1
rickyg01
Inactive

rickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about them
network hdd

im looking to buy a network hdd

ive searched amazon but prices seem expensive

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maxtor-Share...0235221&sr=8-1

like £430 even tho its 2tb but others are around £300 mark for 1tb

any ideas on some cheaper ones?

maybe around £100 ( brand doesnt matter ) mimimum size 500GB
rickyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-12-2008, 21:28   #2
jamiefrost
cf.geek

Services: V+, XL TV and Phone XXL BB
jamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpackjamiefrost has a very nice sixpack
Re: network hdd

How about an Icybox (1 or 2 slot HDD enclosure from raid sonic) and then add you own hard disks.

Try www.scan.co.uk

Also scan do a 1TB buffalo linkstation for about £160

JJ
jamiefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 21:50   #3
rickyg01
Inactive

rickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about them

currently looking at this,

seems a better price, http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500GB-Buffalo-LinkStation-Live-Multimedia-Storage-Server-(HS-DH500GL)

so that just plugs into the ethernet port on my router? and its good to go? + bit of setting up on my laptop
rickyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2008, 21:56   #4
zing_deleted

http://svp.co.uk/product/sumvision_n...closure_mte068

add a drive to this

or a couple to this

http://svp.co.uk/product/dual_hdd_ne...ge_(ide)_jj167

there is a sata version out of stock at the mo
Old 26-12-2008, 19:10   #5
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyg01 View Post
currently looking at this,

seems a better price, http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/500GB-Buffalo-LinkStation-Live-Multimedia-Storage-Server-(HS-DH500GL)

so that just plugs into the ethernet port on my router? and its good to go? + bit of setting up on my laptop
I have a Buffalo LinkStation Live - the only gripe I have is that it's slow to access the web interface to setup the folders / permissions etc.

Plug it in - it' gets an IP from the router - in IE - goto that IP and you access the setup.
Old 26-12-2008, 19:36   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
I have a Buffalo LinkStation Live - the only gripe I have is that it's slow to access the web interface to setup the folders / permissions etc.

Plug it in - it' gets an IP from the router - in IE - goto that IP and you access the setup.
I'm about to buy one of those. The version that will do RAID1 seems favourite as it will be used to back up an SBS2003 server and I like the extra security of the duplicated disks.

Other than the slow control panel access are you happy with transfer speed? I've seen mixed reports.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 21:03   #7
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
I'm about to buy one of those. The version that will do RAID1 seems favourite as it will be used to back up an SBS2003 server and I like the extra security of the duplicated disks.

Other than the slow control panel access are you happy with transfer speed? I've seen mixed reports.

Speed is ok sometimes. I've got it connected at 1GB but I can't remember what the MTU is set to or if I've enabled JumboFrames.

I would have liked to have tried out a Synology DiskStation before making a decision on one though...
Old 26-12-2008, 21:16   #8
zing_deleted

build one out of a mini itx kit lol
Old 26-12-2008, 21:18   #9
Tricky
Inactive

Services: $KY+HD - BT Infinity
Tricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful oneTricky is the helpful one

Cheapo version is the Linksys Slug (NSLU2) - You can have these little beauties running all sorts of software. I have one hanging off my router as a file and media server as well as running a small webserver and associated software
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 10:17   #10
Jonnymeg
Inactive

Jonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of QuadsJonnymeg has a fine set of Quads

I have a Synology CS407 with 4x 1TB discs. It is great.
I would get a box with at least 4 bays so you can add to it at later date. 1TB may seem enough but you will soon fill it!
Jonnymeg is offline   Reply With Quote