Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media (NTL) Cable Broadband - Problem with Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media (NTL) Cable Broadband - Problem with Router

Old 31-07-2008, 17:59   #1
jonesmark
Inactive

jonesmark is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin Media (NTL) Cable Broadband - Problem with Router

Hi all,

1st post on the forums, hope you can help me o)

I've had NTL (now Virgin Media) broadband for a few years - I've always connected directly from desktop PC to the cable modem in my set top box via ethernet, always worked fine. A few months ago I bought a Netgeat wireless router, connected that (PC <-> router <-> modem in set top box) and it worked fine, both the direct cabled connection and the wireless.

Yesterday, NTL came round to and upgraded me to a separate, external cable modem via a splitter on the co-axial cable that comes into my apartment - standard thing that has been done to a few of my workmates.

The connection works ok when I connect my desktop PC via ethernet directly to the new external modem. BUT, when I connect via my router (PC <-> router <-> external modem) it doesn't work. My PC can talk to the router but the router won't talk to the modem, it won't pick up its IP address.

I spent hours on the phone to NTL and Netgear tech support - nice as they are, their sum advice is "turn everything off and on again and see if it works". This doesn't help however.

My router is a Netgear WGR614v7 wirless, not sure what my external NTL modem is - just a standard Virgin Media one I think.

Anyone else had this problem or have any advice ?

Thanks in advance,

jm.
jonesmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-07-2008, 18:03   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin Media (NTL) Cable Broadband - Problem with Router

Did you switch off the modem when you were swapping between the computer and the router?

Plus this needs to go into the Internet forum as it isn't an install issue (as the modem works in the PC)
Old 31-07-2008, 18:07   #3
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

hi,
press the reset button on the back of the router to start with,
then you have to do everything in order
switch off modem and router

then boot the modem until the ready light is steady i.e not flashing
then boot the router
this should get you running on wireless
then you can setup your security settings on the router
hth

p.s and welcome to the forum
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2008, 18:37   #4
jonesmark
Inactive

Hi, thanks for the tips and thanks for moving my post to the correct section o)

I've tried the above i.e. I switch everything off, reset the router back to factory settings, switch on the modem (wait for lights to stabalise and look good), switch on PC and router.

I can then view the router configuration page from my desktop PC - I go through the standard set up wizard thing (where it auto detects the connection), but it says it finds a static IP address on the modem instead of getting a DHCP one assigned - I think this means something's wrong between the router and the modem.

I've also tried configuring the router myself - so, I set up the standard settings e.g. "get IP address automatically" and I clone the MAC address of the desktop PC onto the router - but it still doesn't help, the router won't pick up the IP address of the cable modem, in fact it shows it as "0.0.0.0".

A strange thing is, earlier on, I didn't clone the MAC address of the desktop PC onto the router, and it almost worked - the router picked up a dynamic IP address from the cable modem, and I could ping URLs (e.g. google.co.uk), but viewing web pages in a browser didn't seem to work or it was very slow.

Do NTL have to set something up on their side for the modem to work with a router ?

I wonder if I've been switching things around too quickly - perhaps I should leave everything off overnight and try it again in the morning ?

The really odd thing is that, if I connect back to my old modem inside my set top box, everything works fine - via the router and also when connected directly - it's just that the router won't talk to the new cable modem properly.
Old 30-12-2008, 10:38   #5
rinstiah
Inactive

rinstiah is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a similar problem. Did anyone find a soloution for this? I can connect to the internet when I plug my modem directly into my PC via the Ethernet. But when I plug the cable modem into the router WAN port, the router dosnt want to connect to the internet. I can connect to the router and the management console for it (192.168.1.1). The little 'i' light flashes, but it flashes orange. If I set the router to static IP, and set the IP to that of the modem, the little i light turns green, but there is still no connection to the internet. I have tried spoofing the MAC of the computers network card, and that dosnt work either.
I believe though, that I have a dynamic IP, so I have re-set the router to get IP dynamically, but the little i light goes rorange, and the ip address it resolves is 0.0.0.0.
Why can I not connect? What am I missing?
rinstiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 12:41   #6
Stabhappy
Inactive

Services: XXL BB + M Phone
Stabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really niceStabhappy is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to Stabhappy

turn both the router and the modem off, turn the modem on - wait for it to get the 'ready' light, then plug the router in and wait for it to fully power up. It's awkward I'll grant you, but it works.
Stabhappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 12:48   #7
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Some of the Set Top Box broadband connections used a crossover rather than standard straight ethernet cable. You need a standard cable between modem and router's WAN (internet) port.

The router should be set to pick up it's IP addresses and stuff automatic from the modem. A fixed IP will not work.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 13:10   #8
jonesmark
Inactive

The solution to my problem was to use a new ethernet cable. Once I put a new cable in, it all worked fine. I can't explain the science behind it, but it worked !
Old 31-12-2008, 13:14   #9
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

If the set top box is a Pace, probably as Rob says ^^^
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote