Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | modem router probs ???

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

modem router probs ???

Old 28-07-2008, 12:19   #1
maggot
Inactive

maggot is an unknown quantity at this point
modem router probs ???

hey guys i have had no problems in 3 years untill now last monday my vista laptop just stopped connecting wirelessly to my router i tried everything from checking all settings to system restore to upgradeing fireware on the router to finally a format of the laptop now i still cant connect.

my iphone will connect my xbox will and so does the wii so i called vm and they have sent me a new modem my current is a blue ntl modem a 250 is what it says on the bottom my new one is a black vm one with a 256 on the bottom should i swap these over or not will it make my internet slower or anything like that ???any help would be great
maggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-07-2008, 12:36   #2
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice
Re: modem router probs ???

i would suggest the issue is with your router if the Xbox and Iphone work ok. Try upgrading the firmware in the router. also connect the modem directly to the laptop without the router to see if it works. if it does then it points to an issue with your router or laptops wireless device.

Impz
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 12:45   #3
dev
Inactive

dev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond reputedev has a reputation beyond repute

<rant mode on>

why replace something further up the line when the problem is between the router and laptop, the modem has no bearing on the connection between laptop and router >< that's like phoning someone up to fix a stuck front door only for them to replace the garden gate!

</rant mode on>

if i was you, i'd swap the modem, if it works, keep it, if not, put your old one back and leave the new one somewhere. then get to fixing your laptop/router problem. things to check/answer:

1. what stage does it get up to when you tell it to connect? makes a connection but no IP?
2. does it work with ethernet to the router?
3. does it see wireless networks?
4. what wireless security settings do you have?
5. firewall turned on/off?
dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 12:52   #4
maggot
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impz2002 View Post
i would suggest the issue is with your router if the Xbox and Iphone work ok. Try upgrading the firmware in the router. also connect the modem directly to the laptop without the router to see if it works. if it does then it points to an issue with your router or laptops wireless device.

Impz
all i get is limited connectivity if i do that the firmware has been upgraded are there any drawbacks to updating to the newer modem ???

---------- Post added at 12:52 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev View Post
<rant mode on>

why replace something further up the line when the problem is between the router and laptop, the modem has no bearing on the connection between laptop and router >< that's like phoning someone up to fix a stuck front door only for them to replace the garden gate!

</rant mode on>

if i was you, i'd swap the modem, if it works, keep it, if not, put your old one back and leave the new one somewhere. then get to fixing your laptop/router problem. things to check/answer:

1. what stage does it get up to when you tell it to connect? makes a
connection but no IP?

wont connect at all once in a blue moon it will give me a DNS error and i mean once in a blue moon like 1 out of 20 attemps

2. does it work with ethernet to the router? yes it does

3. does it see wireless networks? yes it does

4. what wireless security settings do you have? mac addy filtering and yes my laptop is added

5. firewall turned on/off?
no firewall
Old 28-07-2008, 12:53   #5
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggot View Post
all i get is limited connectivity if i do that the firmware has been upgraded are there any drawbacks to updating to the newer modem ???
Have you registered the new modem yet, because once registered the old modem is no longer on the system and its only use is as a papreweight.
Old 28-07-2008, 13:50   #6
maggot
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by whydoIneedatech View Post
Have you registered the new modem yet, because once registered the old modem is no longer on the system and its only use is as a papreweight.
no thats why i came in here to ask as i know most of the time newer things are worse than the older ones

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

First TimeLast TimePriorityDescription
Fri Jul 25 18:26:13 2008 Fri Jul 25 18:26:13 2008 Warning (5)DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)The s/w filename specified in the config file is the same as ...
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)A software upgrade filename was specified in the config file.
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)Authorized
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)Registration complete!
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)We registered with a DOCSIS 1.0 config file!
Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Information (7)Received a REG-RSP message from the CMTS...
Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Information (7)Sending a REG-REQ to the CMTS...
Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Information (7)CableModem SNMP configure complete
Tue Jul 22 06:26:18 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:18 2008 Information (7)IP init completed ok
Tue Jul 22 06:26:18 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:18 2008 Information (7)CableModem TFTP init ok
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedError (4)ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)CableModem DHCP client init ok
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedCritical (3)DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Downstream sync ok
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Beginning initial ranging...
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)downstream time sync acquired...
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)starting ds time sync acquisition...
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Downstream lock ok
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Sync Start
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedCritical (3)DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.

anything wrong with that ???
Old 28-07-2008, 14:13   #7
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
no thats why i came in here to ask as i know most of the time newer things are worse than the older ones

---------- Post added at 13:50 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

First TimeLast TimePriorityDescription
Fri Jul 25 18:26:13 2008 Fri Jul 25 18:26:13 2008 Warning (5)DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)The s/w filename specified in the config file is the same as ...
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)A software upgrade filename was specified in the config file.
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)Authorized
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)Registration complete!
Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:21 2008 Information (7)We registered with a DOCSIS 1.0 config file!
Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Information (7)Received a REG-RSP message from the CMTS...
Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Information (7)Sending a REG-REQ to the CMTS...
Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:20 2008 Information (7)CableModem SNMP configure complete
Tue Jul 22 06:26:18 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:18 2008 Information (7)IP init completed ok
Tue Jul 22 06:26:18 2008 Tue Jul 22 06:26:18 2008 Information (7)CableModem TFTP init ok
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedError (4)ToD request sent- No Response received
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)CableModem DHCP client init ok
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Beginning initial ranging...
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)downstream time sync acquired...
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)starting ds time sync acquisition...
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Downstream lock ok
Time Not EstablishedTime Not EstablishedInformation (7)Sync Start

anything wrong with that ???
Be careful of reading modem logs, because what happens when you reboot your modem is that every single update for that modem is received at the same time giving you those worrying logs.
My modem is a Motorola and if I look in my logs I will find some with the Date stamp of 1970 and we did not have broadband then.
Old 28-07-2008, 14:37   #8
maggot
Inactive

will bare that in mind but the dates are correct as you can see iam just not sure what the problem is and if its worth installing the new modem or not
Old 28-07-2008, 20:26   #9
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
will bare that in mind but the dates are correct as you can see iam just not sure what the problem is and if its worth installing the new modem or not
You were sent the modem so you might as well get it registered, but you will have to get it done on Tuesday as they are upgrading th Provisioning platform.
Old 28-07-2008, 20:39   #10
Ricksta7
Inactive

Services: 10Mb Virgin Media BB
Ricksta7 is on a distinguished roadRicksta7 is on a distinguished road

Is it deffo Tuesday then whydoIneedatech? As one tech support told me Tuesday and another Wednesday?
Ricksta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 21:48   #11
whydoIneedatech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricksta7 View Post
Is it deffo Tuesday then whydoIneedatech? As one tech support told me Tuesday and another Wednesday?
Upgrade is supposed to finish at 1201am Tuesday so tomorrow should be OK.
Old 29-07-2008, 09:36   #12
Ricksta7
Inactive

Services: 10Mb Virgin Media BB
Ricksta7 is on a distinguished roadRicksta7 is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I will phone when I get home from work.
Ricksta7 is offline   Reply With Quote