Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless connection but no internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless connection but no internet

Old 25-01-2008, 17:55   #1
stacey81
Inactive

stacey81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless connection but no internet

I currently have Vigin media Broadband with a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. I have had no problems for the past 2 months of using the router then suddenly last night I lost the wireless connection. I have managed today to re-establish the wireless but I have no internet connection even though the status is showing as connected.

Any help would be much appreciated as I am now completely confused!

Stacey
stacey81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2008, 18:08   #2
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Re: Wireless connection but no internet

Welcome to the forums....

What did you do to re-establish the connection?

Can you ping a website in a command window?
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2008, 19:26   #3
stacey81
Inactive

Hi Cobbydaler.. thank you for your response.

I restored the router to the factory settings using the button on the back of the router, then I created a new network which I have left unsecured as this seems to be the only way I can connect to the router but still no internet. I keep getting the standard 'this page can not be displayed'. I can connect to the internet using an ethernet cable but unfortunately not wireless.

I have tried to ping a website in command but it doesn't accept it.
Old 25-01-2008, 19:31   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

What is the output of ifconfig /all in a command window?
Old 25-01-2008, 20:26   #5
tooblueeyes
Inactive

tooblueeyes is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with Sky & had exactly the same problem. It took them 3 months to sort it after many phone calls of try this that and, well not the other. But I had another phone line that needed a filter. But they also had a problem with the speed of something or other down the phone line. I sympathise it is very frustrating.
tooblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2008, 08:52   #6
stacey81
Inactive

Hi Guys!

Thanks for your responses!

I unplugged the modem and the router overnight (I don't do this very often) switched it all on this morning and I had a unsecured wireless internet connection. I then set up my WEP security and it is still working fine.

Many thanks for your help, really appreciated! If I have any more problems I know where to come!!

Stacey
Old 26-01-2008, 10:03   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Glad it's working!
Old 26-01-2008, 21:52   #8
Great One
Inactive

Services: TV XL, Sky Sports. Broadband L
Great One is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys

Wondering if you can help

I also, like stacey, have the netgear WGR614 version 6. My modem is a motorola surfboard. For some reason, I keep losing my internet connection, basically, the yellow/orange flashing light on the modem turns solid after like an hours use( sometimes longer, sometimes much sooner), which means I have to go and switch off the mains and switch it back on again to get the internet going again, any ideas why this happens?

any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Great One is offline   Reply With Quote