Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Newbie needs help with a linksys befsr41 router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Newbie needs help with a linksys befsr41 router

Old 23-01-2008, 23:24   #1
konakona
Inactive

konakona is an unknown quantity at this point
Newbie needs help with a linksys befsr41 router

Hi!

I a complete newbie to all this networking malarkie so please go easy on me!

I have to pc's both running on xp pro, which were conected directly by ethernet cable, on upstairs, conecting to the internet though the one down stairs. and everything was fine and happy!

Got an xbox for christmas and wanted to get online, so got hold of a linksys befsr41 v2 router today as I was told that it was compatible with xbox and virgin media.

Set it up and the pc down stairs had not probs at all, straight online and everything was great!

However...... the pc upstairs would not connect. It says that the cable is unpluged, the light on the network card does not light when it is pluged into the router, but does light when pluged in to the modem (so not a cable problem)

I've tried connecting the cable to every port in the router with no joy.
I've tried connecting the cable from the working computer (downstairs) in to every port and they all work, so I dont think its a fualty router.

Followed the instructions and trouble shooter to the letter but just cant get the #@#@ing thing to work

Havent even got as far as to connect the xbox yet which was the reason I got the router in the 1st place!

I would be really greatfull for any help!
konakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2008, 23:58   #2
MaccLad
cf.member

MaccLad is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Newbie needs help with a linksys befsr41 router

I would suspect that the cable you're using (for the PC that can't connect), could be a cross-over cable. Was that the one you previously used to connect the 2 PCs directly?
Try borrowing the network cable from the PC that does connect, and using that on the one which doesn't work, to see if that fixes it (or moving the PC to the end of the cable, whichever is easiest). If it does, then I think it's the wrong cable.
Worth a try anyway.
MaccLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 00:36   #3
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

I was going to suggest the same MaccLad above. I've got a Linksys BEFSR41 (v3) with 2 PC's connected currently (and I'm with VM) but it's had 3 on as well. Works a treat.

Also, mine works fine with the 20Mb connection that I have, but someone on here has said that Linksys support say it doesn't.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 01:22   #4
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

that is the most likely answer as the befsr41 is VERY old now and doesnt support even basic auto sensing xover cable switching in its chipset as far as i remember, but its cheap so you get what you pay for i guess.

i also suspect you wont get above 11Mbit if your on the 20Mbit package eather with that kit,but it should work to some degree once you buy a cheap new straight rj45 cable, or perhaps a x-over adaptor and small patch lead to right the crossover in your current rj45 cable.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...name=US/Layout

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...=4047040941B03

Which routers can actually handle 20mbps and over?
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/87...l#post34465076
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 13:19   #5
AntiSilence
Inactive

Services: C#/ASP.NET Web Development
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze
AntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronzeAntiSilence is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
i also suspect you wont get above 11Mbit if your on the 20Mbit package eather with that
Mine's about 4 years old, and I get pretty much the full 20Mbit from it.
AntiSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 15:15   #6
morrk
Inactive

morrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nicemorrk is just really nice

Should be able to use port 4 on the router which I believe should be an uplink port that will cross the cable over.
morrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 21:21   #7
konakona
Inactive

konakona is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, you were all spot on!

The pc were connected directly, so it was a cross over cable! (feel like a right ****!)

Special thanks to popper for metioning the adaptor, ordered one today off fleabay for a couple of quid!

Cheers everyone your all stars!!!!!!!!!!!!!
konakona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 22:50   #8
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiSilence View Post
Mine's about 4 years old, and I get pretty much the full 20Mbit from it.
yes, i was in wireless mode when i wrote that ,the older wired routers are slightly better as they dont have as much processing to do, haveing to only deal with routing and not the extra wireless workload.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote