Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hardware Firewall

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Hardware Firewall

Old 16-01-2008, 15:19   #1
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Hardware Firewall

Afternoon,

Thinking of buying a 2nd hand hardware firewall - specifically a WatchGuard SOHO 6, because we supply and install them for our customers - well the WatchGuard range at least.

The reason being - I want to gain some knowledge of how they work, configuration etc.

I currently have a Linksys wifi ADSL router, so if I put the firewall on my network, the wi-fi would be protected would it as it would physically bypass the hardware firewall....unless I'm missing a trick...?

Lee
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2008, 15:28   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Hardware Firewall

Assuming you will be putting the firewall between router and wired PCs then yes, the wireless will be unprotected - although don't forget the Linksys will have a NAT firewall anyway.
If you want to actually block anything, you might want to set the firewall IP as a DMZ in the linksys - so that the linksys doesn't filter out the crap before it gets to the firewall!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 15:32   #3
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Assuming you will be putting the firewall between router and wired PCs then yes, the wireless will be unprotected - although don't forget the Linksys will have a NAT firewall anyway.
If you want to actually block anything, you might want to set the firewall IP as a DMZ in the linksys - so that the linksys doesn't filter out the crap before it gets to the firewall!
That's were I thought it should go...at least normally that's how it would get setup:

Internet > Router > Firewall > PC's

I want to lean stuff like packet filtering - routing specific ports to <where ever> etc...

The Linksys is a bit limited in what it can do as a firewall.
Old 16-01-2008, 15:35   #4
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

if you're buying from fleabay - make sure you get one that has the software for configuring it, with it (unless you can source it from elsewhere) - a lot of them on there don't come with any software.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 15:40   #5
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
if you're buying from fleabay - make sure you get one that has the software for configuring it, with it (unless you can source it from elsewhere) - a lot of them on there don't come with any software.
They are normally web-based - config built into the device.
Old 16-01-2008, 15:42   #6
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
The software is generally done with a web browser as it's built in.
ah, ok - the original firebox 2 & 3's had standalone programs for configuring, so without the software you couldn't even start it up properly.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2008, 15:49   #7
Losttheplot

I've got my ADSL modem set up in a bridged mode, with my Endian Linux Firewall controlling it. I also then have a wireless AP behind the firewall.
www.Endian.com
Old 16-01-2008, 18:31   #8
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
ah, ok - the original firebox 2 & 3's had standalone programs for configuring, so without the software you couldn't even start it up properly.
I believe with some of them you have a system manager which allows you to control / config lots of them - like a management console.

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Quote:
I currently have a Linksys wifi ADSL router, so if I put the firewall on my network, the wi-fi would be protected would it as it would physically bypass the hardware firewall....unless I'm missing a trick...?
Ooops - should have read before posting...there was a large typo which changed the entire context of the question! It should have read:

Quote:
I currently have a Linksys wifi ADSL router, so if I put the firewall on my network, would the wi-fi be protected as well, as the firewall would physically be bypassed as it's further down the chain? Unless I'm missing a trick...?

But even so - you got the gist of the question!
Old 16-01-2008, 21:18   #9
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

If you are going to buy one from the Watchguard range, personally I recommend one from the Core series but these are all subscription based. Alot of the higher end ones also need the system manager software to configure them but them are very reliable, we have some several hundred out there in out sites. Good bits of kit but cost alot of money.

Netgear do some firewalls which are worth looking at, these are much cheaper and are a similar setup to the Watchguard ones bur one a smaller scale from what I have seen. Have a look here, or on eBuyer, they do some really good deals from time to time if your lucky, if you are going to purchase a Watchguard range I would try and stick with them rather than eBay as alot are licensed and don't always come with them from eBay.

Just my bit on all this.
Old 17-01-2008, 08:42   #10
ic2
Inactive

Services: VIP 50
ic2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to ic2

I run a watchguard Firebox Edge Ex10 at home on the XL package. I have a wireless router plugged into its "optional" network, which gives me protection of the firewall.

The only downside is browsing speed as I have UTM enabled on the box.
ic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2008, 11:25   #11
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
if you are going to purchase a Watchguard range I would try and stick with them rather than eBay as alot are licensed and don't always come with them from eBay.
How do you mean - licensed?
Old 17-01-2008, 16:13   #12
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

With a Watchguard Firebox most have a license which allows you to use the Firebox, if its not up to date then parts of it are disabled as its a subscription based service.
Old 17-01-2008, 17:36   #13
LSainsbury

Indeed - like the LiveSecurity - but I won't need that to use the basic functions....will I?
Old 17-01-2008, 17:40   #14
Matthew
cf.mega poster

You shouldn't do but can't say for 100%. Just thought I would point it out in case you didn't know.
Old 17-01-2008, 20:13   #15
LSainsbury

Well it arrived today - just sent an email to Watchguard to get it re-registered to me so I can get the latest firmware.