Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router grrrr......

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router grrrr......

Old 04-01-2008, 14:02   #1
Ramraider
Inactive

Services: V.I.P.
Ramraider is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Router grrrr......

Hi guys, got the 20mb b/b, had it now for 3 week, everything running fine V+,B/B,Phone,

my ambit 255 was connected straight to pc with ethernet
Did several speedtests here in last 3 weeks and most came out at 18-19mb, which i've been more than happy with until.......

Yesterday I added my router which I used on my old pc, router model- belkin FSD7231-4, set-up was straight forward with Vista used all my old configurations which the router had been set up to on my old pc, security wep etc...

Daughters laptop connected 1st time as normal no probs....

What I'm asking is....Can the speed be affected when it goes to pc via router...

as my speedtests since installing router have varied from 3-14mb which is a big drop from 19mb

please dont reply by saying "its your settings" as i'm not that networked minded,please give me some idea in what i've done wrong.

cheers ram
Ramraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 14:10   #2
Impz2002
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media DTV Constant 20mb XL Broadband
Impz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really niceImpz2002 is just really nice
Re: Router grrrr......

some routers do indeed slow down your connection. i am not very well versed with wireless routers and the like so i will let someone else give you the low down but alot of routers cannot handle 20meg throughput with the security turned on. you may find you need a new router to get your full 20meg.

Impz
Impz2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 14:20   #3
Ben B
Inactive

Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array
Ben B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze arrayBen B has a bronze array

i found that having on the wireless settings on my belkin router it improves things if you set it to 11g only???
Ben B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 22:14   #4
deed02392
Inactive

deed02392 will become famous soon enoughdeed02392 will become famous soon enoughdeed02392 will become famous soon enough

I have a Linksys WRT54G v2.2 with third party firmware tomato. If you are using a wireless connection I suggest you look into changing the channel first and foremost on your wireless network and try them all to see which one works the best.

Then do a Google for other ways of improving your wireless connection speeds. I get up to my max speed quite often, but sometimes when I don't I can't be sure whether or not it's the wireless or just peak loads on the UBR. My wireless is on mixed mode as I have several devices that are b only, my DS and laptop both examples. However, when they are off, this affects the network negligibly.

Good luck.
deed02392 is offline   Reply With Quote