Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Cannot access xp files over wireless network from vista pc

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Cannot access xp files over wireless network from vista pc

Old 26-12-2007, 18:18   #1
Gooch
Inactive

Gooch is on a distinguished roadGooch is on a distinguished road
Cannot access xp files over wireless network from vista pc

So, I really ought to know the answer to this as I am a Computer Engineer but have been scratching my head for ages now.

The problem I have is:

I have an xp desktop pc which is connected to a Wireless Modem Router through an ethernet cable. On this pc I have some shared folders. In the properties of the folders "share this folder on the network" and "Allow network users to change my files" are ticked.

From my Vista laptop I can see these shared folders over the Wireless LAN. When I try to access one of the shared folders though, I get "(\\folder name\filename) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions"

I have tried connecting to the xp pc by using an ethernet cable into one of the spare ports on the router from the vista laptop and can access them no problem. I have also tried using another laptop that has xp installed and have no problem accessing the shared folders and the files within, over the wireless LAN.

So it seems to stem from Vista and wireless. On the Vista laptop in Network and sharing Center I have:

Network discovery set to:On
File Sharing: On
Public folder sharing: On
Printer sharing: On

I have tried disabling the firewall on both the xp pc and the vista laptop.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-12-2007, 18:28   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Cannot access xp files over wireless network from vista pc

Have you got the necessary user account privileges on both PCs?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 18:34   #3
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

i had the same problem, i think i had to change the property's of the hard drive that the file's are on to be able to change them i.e right click the hard drive then click the share option in there and i think i had to go to the advanced option(prob teaching to suck eggs) hope that helps a bit if not post back and we will see where to go next lol
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 18:51   #4
Gooch
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Have you got the necessary user account privileges on both PCs?
Mmm. Its an xp home editon pc so the local users and groups snap in in Computer Management is not available. I will have a look in user accounts in control panel and see if the user is deffo set to be an admin. Doh, should have thought of that. I will let you know.

Saying that though Paul. I can access the files on th XP PC if I connect to it using an ethernet cable going from the Vista Laptop to one of the ports on the router. But I can't access them if I try to access them over the wireless connection. I'm sure how admin rights would matter in this case? It seems to have someting to do with wirless and Vista.

Any other suggestions you have would be welcome though.
Old 26-12-2007, 20:28   #5
MrJDGaF
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media V.I.P
MrJDGaF will become famous soon enoughMrJDGaF will become famous soon enoughMrJDGaF will become famous soon enough

IEE authentication? maybe not...
MrJDGaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2007, 20:59   #6
Gooch
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJDGaF View Post
IEE authentication? maybe not...
I'm not sure what you mean. In what respect?
Old 27-12-2007, 11:13   #7
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

If I remember,some routers have the option to only allow wireless connections to access the internet and not the intranet... Make sure your router is configured to allow intranet access from the wifi access point.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 12:23   #8
rickyg01
Inactive

rickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about them

the name on a xp network is MSHOME (workgroup )
this is not the case on a vista pc
go into the control panel - system and maintence - system,

change the name from there the workgroup to MSHOME restart the pc and retry,

should be able to connect after that,

also to connect to it, you use \\ ipaddress of pc connectin to \ shared folder name
rickyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 12:41   #9
Lord Nikon
Inactive

Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array
Lord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze arrayLord Nikon has a bronze array

rickyp01 - true, but since he is able to connect via ethernet cable it would suggest that the network naming / UNC info is correct, which is why I still suspect it could be that the router is firewalling the wireless section from the intranet. I have seen a couple of routers that offered this 'buffering' though I can't remember which ones, and suspect that this may in fact be the case for the OP.
Lord Nikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 12:46   #10
rickyg01
Inactive

rickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about themrickyg01 has a spectacular aura about them

he could go into the settings of the wireless modem and disable the firewall to see if the firewall of the is blocking access,
Old 28-12-2007, 16:51   #11
Gooch
Inactive

Bit of a weird one but I have finally come to a solution. It turned out to be the router. It was a Speedtouch 585v6 Modem/Router. I exchanged it with a Dynamode Modem/Router and immediately everything worked perfectly. I would never have guessed this initially because I could still access everything ok from the xp notebook. Nothing surprises me with PC's though.

Thanks for the input.
Old 28-12-2007, 21:01   #12
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyg01 View Post
the name on a xp network is MSHOME (workgroup )
this is not the case on a vista pc
go into the control panel - system and maintence - system,

change the name from there the workgroup to MSHOME restart the pc and retry,

should be able to connect after that,

also to connect to it, you use \\ ipaddress of pc connectin to \ shared folder name

Good advice, virtually what I was going to put.
Alternitavly you can download THIS

Quote:
Overview
This package contains the Link Layer Topology Discovery (LLTD) responder. The network map on a computer running Windows Vista shows a graphical view of the computers and devices on your network and how they are connected by using the LLTD protocol. The LLTD responder must be installed on a computer running Windows XP before it can be detected and appear on the network map. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2007, 21:58   #13
rickyg01
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
Good advice, virtually what I was going to put.
Alternitavly you can download THIS
cheers,