Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless router with a good signal, help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless router with a good signal, help!

Old 16-12-2007, 13:49   #1
middlefinger
Inactive

middlefinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless router with a good signal, help!

Hi All,

Im upgrading my wireless router from the standard Actiontec (which ntl advertised and sold) to one which has a better signal range. The actiontec has done us proud for the last few years but the signal won't reach into a newly built extension on the house.

Can anybody advise on which routers I should be looking towards. Tried having a search through some old posts but couldn't find much. Maybe i've done a bloke look.

The router will be used in the attic and the signal will need to go to the ground floor. I'll also need a good usb adapter for one of the computers downstairs or a wireless card if these are any better.

The router will need to be ok to run with a ps3, not sure if they're all capable or if some have problems linking up the ps3.

Thanks for any help, please let me know if you need any more info

Middle
middlefinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-12-2007, 14:19   #2
xspeedyx

Re: Wireless router with a good signal, help!

There is a new belkin one cnt remember where to get it but its black and very sexy and has a good range check the belkin website
Old 17-12-2007, 08:46   #3
middlefinger
Inactive

I've decided to go for the Buffalo AirStation G54 High Power Wireless Router, seems to get some very good reviews throughout the world wide web. The belkin n1 router looks very good but its abit to good for what I need.

The buffalo seems to do exactly what I need from a router and hopefully the signal in the house will be improved.

I now need to buy a wireless adapter for a computer which is on the bottom floor of the house, should I go for a buffalo pci card or a usb dongle type?
Also would I be able to use the usb adapter in a 2m usb extension lead, im just not happy about having the device hanging out the front of the computer as the kids will be knocking it all over.

Im going to order the kit today so any help is very much appreciated.
Old 17-12-2007, 10:20   #4
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

I would always go for the PCI card instead of USB..but thats my own preference.
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 10:39   #5
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

whatever you get make sure its got detachable arials , that way you can install better DB rated kit on your router and so get better range.

search on my name here and 'wireless' to see some 3rd party high DB arials both commercial, directional and DIY, your average standard arial is 1 or 2 DB and your better off with something like 9DB+ (the higher the better).

you should really be buying 11n kit all round today, it will serve you far better later , or at the very least something thats got MiMo 11g/11g+ as standard.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 18:15   #6
Badders
Inactive

Badders is an unknown quantity at this point

Also cost comes into the equation. A WHR-HP-G54 is around £35, the cheapest Belkins are around £70-£90 and the adapters are more expensive.
Badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 08:28   #7
middlefinger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders View Post
Also cost comes into the equation. A WHR-HP-G54 is around £35, the cheapest Belkins are around £70-£90 and the adapters are more expensive.
Thanks for the help, I went for the Buffalo Airstation WHR-HP-G54. This has high speed transfer and also has Mimo (so the buffalo site states).

I didn't fancy spending £140 on a Belkin N router and adapter as i've read some poor reviews, people stating the signal in a ordinary world isn't that much improved over 11g. In an open room the signal would be alot better but in a house with roofs and walls the signal wasn't worth the extra cash.

Im no expert but i did look at alot of different sites for reviews and the buffalo seems to be raved about from people in my situation.

Hopefully everything will arrive quickly and will be easy to setup. I'll report back and let you know how it goes.

Middle
Old 18-12-2007, 14:01   #8
Badders
Inactive

Badders is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the WHR-HP-G54 certainly isn't MIMO - it's "MIMO Performance*" - note the "*":

*This product uses a two antenna/single high power transmitter technology. It is not designed to anticipated 802.11n standards. Based on Buffalo Technology outdoor tests, this product outperforms two radio/three antenna MIMO technology beyond certain distances. Buffalo Technology testing also shows that this product equals or exceeds the performance of two radio/two antenna MIMO technology at all distances.

but it's still a very good router. There are alternative firmwares available to give more functionality/flexibility. DD-WRT is supported through the WHR-HP-G54DD which provides a myriad of options. Currently, I'm using one called Tomato

Enjoy.
Badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 08:45   #9
middlefinger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders View Post
Well the WHR-HP-G54 certainly isn't MIMO - it's "MIMO Performance*" - note the "*":

*This product uses a two antenna/single high power transmitter technology. It is not designed to anticipated 802.11n standards. Based on Buffalo Technology outdoor tests, this product outperforms two radio/three antenna MIMO technology beyond certain distances. Buffalo Technology testing also shows that this product equals or exceeds the performance of two radio/two antenna MIMO technology at all distances.

but it's still a very good router. There are alternative firmwares available to give more functionality/flexibility. DD-WRT is supported through the WHR-HP-G54DD which provides a myriad of options. Currently, I'm using one called Tomato

Enjoy.
Just PM'd you for some help
Old 20-12-2007, 11:55   #10
middlefinger
Inactive

Can anyone tell me if this would work.

Im looking to add another WHR-HP-G54 router downstairs and use it as an access point, the router has a switch on the bottom that allows it to change between access point and auto modes.

Im hoping that doing this and moving the router slightly will allow me to get a solid signal in the extension, where im currently finding it hard to get a decent signal.

Im not sure what i'd need to exactly do but would this theory work?

Thanks
Old 20-12-2007, 12:23   #11
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

You're in luck! looking at the datasheet, the WHR-HP-G54 is one that does support WDS, which enables you to connect the two units without having to run a cable. In theory, if you set one to AP mode and set the same SSID/channel/WPA keys on both units they should start talking.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2007, 19:05   #12
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
Can anyone tell me if this would work.

Im looking to add another WHR-HP-G54 router downstairs and use it as an access point, the router has a switch on the bottom that allows it to change between access point and auto modes.

Im hoping that doing this and moving the router slightly will allow me to get a solid signal in the extension, where im currently finding it hard to get a decent signal.

Im not sure what i'd need to exactly do but would this theory work?

Thanks

Not sure I used a couple of those Powerline network adaptors along with a spare router they already had to extend the range of someones network.. Cost them nothing apart from slightly higher electricity usage since they already had the powerline adaptors and 2 routers (they'd been given a new router from their isp )
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote