Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | help with router, need a few tips!!!!!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

help with router, need a few tips!!!!!

Old 08-04-2006, 01:39   #1
sav112
Inactive

Services: "Be" 8mb
sav112 is an unknown quantity at this point
help with router, need a few tips!!!!!

some quick questions.

got a friend with a belkin router but can we get her wireless laptop on the net ( no we cant!)

she has a NTl 250 modem going into the wirless router and a cable going into a desktop pc, the desktop works fine if a little slow and the laptop says good connection to router (excellent is says)

anyway i tried to set it up but no luck.

What settings do we need from NTl, i know is dynamic right?
do we need to put the username and password at all in the router settings?

any help would be great
sav112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2006, 01:42   #2
jrhnewark
cf.mega poster

jrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of societyjrhnewark is a pillar of society
Re: help with router, need a few tips!!!!!

Nope, not username and password needed - the cable modem will have already been registered and happily be always connected.

I imagine you've got the internet connection settings on the laptop a little fluffed up. Have you tried ping say google.com from the laptop, and checked the options in Internet Explorer > Tools > Options etc?
jrhnewark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 15:13   #3
sav112
Inactive

You canââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t tracert www.bbc.co.uk or 212.58.244.56

The explorer settings seem to be spot on the laptop the ip is the valid router one like 192.168.2.X that going buy the notes means the system is networked.

The main PC works happily which annoys me, the connection works fine itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s just this wireless connection that although it tells me itâ₠¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s connected and signal is excellent just does not let you browse the net.

The main thing is when I go into the router page from the main PC is sees both machines ok but at the top of the page (Router settings) it sayââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s no internet connection. And there is actually a light like a small world picture that should light up that does not.

You take the router out of the equation and both the pc and laptop work fine when you release / renew ip I even got to the stage I did a mini winsock on the laptop to see if that would help.

In my opinion if I could get this router to say internet connected on the router settings page Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢d say it would probably work but doing it is another thing and looking for some expert advice.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:07 ----------

also it could be a ADSL modem router which as far as i know does not work with the ntl modem!
Old 08-04-2006, 16:54   #4
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav112
she has a NTl 250 modem going into the wirless router and a cable going into a desktop pc, the desktop works fine if a little slow and the laptop says good connection to router (excellent is says)
Just to clarify... you've set it up so that the cable modem plugs into both the wireless router and the dekstop? Do you mean you've plugged the ethernet cable into the wireless router, and a USB cable into the desktop? If so, you can only have one device plugged into the cable modem, so in this case, you should keep the wireless router plugged in.

Or do you mean that the desktop PC is wired to the wireless router?

Also, you'll need to power cycle (switch off then back on again) the cable modem for it to realise that the wireless router has been added in to the equation, and that it's no longer just talking to the desktop PC it was originally connected with. Have you done this too?

---------- Post added at 16:54 ---------- Previous post was at 16:51 ----------

As for the ADSL router question... can you remember the model number?
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 18:54   #5
sav112
Inactive

its goes like this eithernet cable from NTL modem to Router and from the router eithernet to the desktop pc. this seems to work but im sure its just bypassing the router. No usb in sight, lol i used to work in BBI blueyonder as well.

the main problem is that the wireless laptop has an excellent connection to the router but cant get online. the router status page comes up with not connected to internet at the top when you bring up the settings.