Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Creating net work between computers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Creating net work between computers

Old 26-03-2013, 17:25   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question Creating net work between computers

I am having problems creating a network between 2 computers.

VIVA is running Windows 7 Pro 32 bit.
Nova is running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

Both logged on as Administrator.

VIVA can read and write to files on NOVA.
NOVA asks for user name and password to access VIVA, I don't have a password set.

As far as I can see I have sharing on both computers.

Any suggestions please.

Internet
I
Super Hub
I I
VIVA Nova
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2013, 17:46   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
re: Creating net work between computers

Home Sharing (on MS) usually gives you a password.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 18:30   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

One assumes all your PCs are on the same workgroup name. I also assume the folders you want to share, and files within those, now allow the right access - if in doubt for the purposes of this give "everyone" access. You can always try and set specific accounts later.

Now on the Win 7 PC:
control panel > Network & Internet > Network & Sharing Center
Make sure your network type is "Home" or "Work"
Left hand side: Click Change Advanced Sharing Settings
Set "password protected sharing" to OFF
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 19:50   #4
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
One assumes all your PCs are on the same workgroup name. I also assume the folders you want to share, and files within those, now allow the right access - if in doubt for the purposes of this give "everyone" access. You can always try and set specific accounts later.

Now on the Win 7 PC:
control panel > Network & Internet > Network & Sharing Center
Make sure your network type is "Home" or "Work"
Left hand side: Click Change Advanced Sharing Settings
Set "password protected sharing" to OFF
They are set allow every one access and the control panel settings that you have suggested but I still have the same problem.
Old 26-03-2013, 20:13   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I don't have windows 8 to experiment so all I can do is

Might be worth trying: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-24e8522ea955
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2013, 22:31   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I don't have windows 8 to experiment so all I can do is

Might be worth trying: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-24e8522ea955
I have read the information on your link but still no luck.
Old 27-03-2013, 00:24   #7
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

It won't work without a password
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 05:34   #8
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Creating net work between computers

Unless you have set up Homegroup then you will have to enter the password for each computer

i.e. when you access viva from nova you will have to enter viva\vivauser and the password and vice versa
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 08:12   #9
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

The easiest way is to have the same username/password on each computer because it'll then auto-authenticate.
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2013, 09:58   #10
tizmeinnit

I do not set up homegroups on any of my machines. Just turn on network discovery set permissions on directories I wanna share job done

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Unless you have set up Homegroup then you will have to enter the password for each computer

i.e. when you access viva from nova you will have to enter viva\vivauser and the password and vice versa
No you don't

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
It won't work without a password
It can if you want

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

In Network and Sharing / Sharing options/ change advanced sharing/

Turn on network discovery/ turn on file and printer sharing/ turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write to public folders/ turn off password

Public folders now free to browse etc.

Other directories are easy to set up also right click share with advanced sharing and set up permissions whether you want to allow read or read and write its upto you
Old 27-03-2013, 12:14   #11
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I do not set up homegroups on any of my machines. Just turn on network discovery set permissions on directories I wanna share job done

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

No you don't

---------- Post added at 09:54 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

It can if you want

---------- Post added at 09:58 ---------- Previous post was at 09:54 ----------

In Network and Sharing / Sharing options/ change advanced sharing/

Turn on network discovery/ turn on file and printer sharing/ turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write to public folders/ turn off password

Public folders now free to browse etc.

Other directories are easy to set up also right click share with advanced sharing and set up permissions whether you want to allow read or read and write its upto you
Tried that but still no access.

I thought that setting up a Home group or network between 2 computers was supposed to be easy.
Old 27-03-2013, 21:19   #12
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
I thought that setting up a Home group or network between 2 computers was supposed to be easy.
Personally I think Microsoft made it harder with the later windows versions, where they tried to actually make it easier.

I usually say its a Work related network and avoid the homegroup stuff. Everything seems to work a bit better then. Create another user account, create a share, add the new user to that share and the permissions.

Using the same username/password as mentioned above is the best way to make things work seamlessly.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote