Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Snow !

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Snow !

Old 19-12-2010, 07:37   #1981
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Snow !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
A foot fell overnight on Teesside, we had about 3 days snow free in many parts since the last snow that fell on 24th November.
yeah we had a dusting last night with more to follow in newcastle,las thing we need
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2010, 09:41   #1982
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

I took my wife to work this morning and it took me 30 minutes to get defrost the car and the thermometer in the car said -10c on the way occasionally.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 10:39   #1983
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Most of ours defrosted and what was left has turned to ice.Husband got to work and home again this am safely so I gather that there were no real problems.
Old 19-12-2010, 10:41   #1984
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

When i woke up this morning i was blown away by the clear skies, the sunrise and the snow.
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 10:43   #1985
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

I hear that the idiots with a mountain of snow on the bonnet and roof are starting to get booked for dangerous driving with 3 points added to their licences, I for one fully condone them getting booked.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFrankie View Post
When i woke up this morning i was blown away by the clear skies, the sunrise and the snow.
You missed out the ice.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 10:44   #1986
iFrankie
cf.mega poster

Services: V BB 350
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
iFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appealiFrankie has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to iFrankie Send a message via Yahoo to iFrankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
I hear that the idiots with a mountain of snow on the bonnet and roof are starting to get booked for dangerous driving with 3 points added to their licences, I for one fully condone them getting booked.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

You missed out the ice.
haha, thats the thing, its nice to look at but not nice to go out in haha.
iFrankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 14:55   #1987
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
I agree with this. Seen plenty of cars with loads of snow on the roof and they don't realise the first time they brake suddenly it goes over the windscreen and they can't see
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 14:59   #1988
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I hear that the idiots with a mountain of snow on the bonnet and roof are starting to get booked for dangerous driving with 3 points added to their licences, I for one fully condone them getting booked
Bit of an urban myth. You'd need to fail the attitude test spectacularly as there isn't a specific offence for not clearing snow from the roof of vehicles.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 15:44   #1989
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Bit of an urban myth. You'd need to fail the attitude test spectacularly as there isn't a specific offence for not clearing snow from the roof of vehicles.
I read on the BBC website that not clearing the roof is an offense, although they could have made a mistake
sherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 15:48   #1990
Derek
Inactive

Services: SkyHD and Broadband
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars
Derek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny starsDerek has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer View Post
I read on the BBC website that not clearing the roof is an offense, although they could have made a mistake
Not unless they've made it an offence in the last couple of days without telling anyone.

http://local.stv.tv/cumbernauld/news...of-and-bonnet/

Quote:
Many road users have been concerned in particular by rumours that they could be fined for driving with snow on their roofs.

Strathclyde’s Road Policing Unit said that while there is no specific legislation on driving with snow on the roof of a vehicle, if it slips over the windscreen, or flies into the path of another car, it could leave the driver open to being penalised for driving without due consideration, dangerous driving, not being in proper control of the vehicle, not having a full view ahead and windows not being sufficiently clean.
So as with most things its not a specific offence but if you extract the urine you can be dealt with in a suitable manner.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:01   #1991
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array

The most stupid one I saw had almost a foot of snow covering the roof, they deserve to be slapped, either with points, a fine or just a slap from me
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:01   #1992
tvvee
Inactive

tvvee is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have mutch snoww and it will snowing and snowing...
tvvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:02   #1993
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Where is that?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:40   #1994
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Spend two hours shovelling the drive and the hill at my house. Came in, sat down with a well deserved beer, glanced out the window and yep snowing again!
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 16:58   #1995
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
Not unless they've made it an offence in the last couple of days without telling anyone.

http://local.stv.tv/cumbernauld/news...of-and-bonnet/

So as with most things its not a specific offence but if you extract the urine you can be dealt with in a suitable manner.
AFAIK the law stems from unsafe loading (like if you drove around in the summer with a pile of sand on your roof) or having an unsafe vehicle (like if you had a roof panel unsecured which flew off)

The police know they can't stop and prosecute everyone so prefer going down the awareness route or failing that, the attitude test route.

It is dangerous though. I saw an artic going round a roundabout and the snow and ice slid off onto the car in the next lane. It made a sizeable donk so there was obviously ice there. The car didn't seem too afected but if it was a (motor-)cyclist then the result could have been more severe.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote