Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin 20MB - DHCP fails to assign an IP

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin 20MB - DHCP fails to assign an IP

Old 23-01-2008, 13:34   #1
Insomnicat
Inactive

Insomnicat is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Virgin 20MB - DHCP fails to assign an IP

Hi,

After a recent power cut I restarted the modem/router as normal but couldn't access the internet. IE reported that the DNS could not be resolved. I keep restarting the computer with a direct link to the modem but could not get an IP address.

I'm currently getting the run-around from Virgins B/Band support team who seem to tweak something their side which resolves the problem until the next time I try to use the internet. I now object to a £5 call each time I want to use the internet. This problem only started once I upgraded to the 20MB package.

Thanks in advance.
Insomnicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2008, 13:49   #2
Bri_G
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP 20Mb bb V+ Talk Unlimited
Bri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the roughBri_G is a jewel in the rough
Re: Virgin 20MB - DHCP fails to assign an IP

Check that your PC is set to "obtain IP address automaticall" in network settings.
Look at your modem settings 192.168.100.1 and check that DHCP is enabled.
Which OS are you using?
Bri_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 14:05   #3
Insomnicat
Inactive

Router and PC are both setup to obtain IP automatically and DHCP is enabled. I am currently using Windows XP Pro. The other problem is that whenever you deal with the Virgin B/Band support they always insist that you connect directly to the modem. However, when I re-connect the router back to the modem it is unable to obtain a new IP from Virgin. I have tried switching everything off then start modem and leave for 5 mins before switching on the router. I then try to connect the PC directly back to the modem and restart the modem again but the PC is unable to obtain an IP.

What’s worse is than after several attempts I finally resort to the call centre and they magically do something and it’s working again. Last night I spent 2.5 hours on the phone with their b/band support desk to both restore the IP address and improve the speed from 4mbs to nearer 20mb.

Went to access the web an hour later and all connectivity is once again lost. Tried IP release/renew to no avail. Not sure if this helps but they did ask to run ‘netstat’ which failed to return any information. They did say there was a problem in my area with their DHCP server but that was supposed to have been resolved.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 23-01-2008, 14:49   #4
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars

Well if there is a DHCP issue in your area I wouldn't bother calling in unless you really feel like wasting money
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2008, 14:53   #5
Insomnicat
Inactive

I did raise that point but they assure me that the problem is now resolved.
Old 24-04-2010, 21:15   #6
meljones
Inactive

meljones is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Virgin 20MB - DHCP fails to assign an IP

HI, Newbie here..

Anyone got an update on this...
I'm suffering the very same fate with the 50Mb.
To date I've had 2 x VM engineers out since the install 2 weeks ago..
1st one was not sure, but changed "some things" and thought that had fixed it.
A couple of days later it starts again..
DNS error, lights on modem router look ok, fails to clear after DHCP release / renwew on Router & PC
2nd Engineer attending after a bit longer suspects the modem is not releasing the IP address and replaces it.
12hrs later same fault condition.
I've checked the logs on the router and modem and can see the IP being released, new ones requested / accepeted etc.
I'm not certain, but didn't 02 have a similar issue on their network a few months ago, down to the dhcp servers within their network?
either way, I'm in the first month of the contract and will have to cancel it. ..can't face the constant "it's not working agian" cries from the wife.
On the plus side, she now knows how to log onto a router, look at the logs / status etc and try the DHCP release herself..perhaps she can get a job with VM and pay for the BT Fibre option when that lands!
meljones is offline   Reply With Quote