Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | WRT54GL v 1.1 Installation problem. Unable to connect to router.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

WRT54GL v 1.1 Installation problem. Unable to connect to router.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:33   #1
Raakjaer
Inactive

Raakjaer is an unknown quantity at this point
WRT54GL v 1.1 Installation problem. Unable to connect to router.

I have just got 50 mbit a couple of days ago, where i received a modem, which I plugged in next to the cable to the tv, and then a cable from the modem to the computer.

But I want wireless and therefore I bought a WRT54GL Router. Thought it was easy to install, but I have experienced some problems.

First I tried using the Setup Wizard, but when I reach step 7, where it is checking the computer, and asks for a password, I have tried writing both "admin" and blank, but it just goes back checking the computer again, and then the password over again. And an error sometimes comes saying unable to connect to router.

When I try to manually reach the setup page, 192.168.1.1, I just get no connection. I can get to the page. It's like there is no connection at all to the router, maybe it doesn't work. I've tried resetting it I guess, but nothing works.

I really need some help, or then I have to send my router back to where i bought it, and get a new one instead..

Help is appreciated
Raakjaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42   #2
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
Re: WRT54GL v 1.1 Installation problem. Unable to connect to router.

It shouldn't really be necessary to use the setup wizard. especially for wired connections. Get it going wired first, then go to wireless.

Do a reset to factory on the router then power off everything, modem, router and computers.

Connect modem to router WAN port. Connect computer to router LAN port. Boot up modem and let settle, boot up router and let settle, boot up computer and there should be a connection. If that isn't working recheck the ethernet cable leads you are using, and also your network card on your computer is set to receive an automatic IP address.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:00   #3
Raakjaer
Inactive

I have just tried that - still not working. For how long do they have to settle before powering on next device?

My network card is set to receive and automatic IP address and there is nothing wrong with my cables.

Anything else?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:04   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Normally 30 seconds would be more than enough, and often a lot less such that all the lights are normally stable.

If you are getting a connection between the modem direct wired to the PC, that suggests your PC and that cable are correct. If you simply unplug that ethernet cable from the modem, and plug it into the router LAN and boot the router, you should now get an IP from the router, and be able to brwose to the router's admin pages. If that isn't happening then maybe something is broke on the router
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:07   #5
Sir John Luke
Inactive

Sir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful oneSir John Luke is the helpful one

At the risk of being too obvious, you have connected the router WAN port to the modem and one of the LAN ports to the PC? (Let's get it working wired, then tackle the wireless)
Sir John Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 12:21   #6
Raakjaer
Inactive

Internet works fine with cable from modem to PC.
I tried plugging ethernet cable from port 1 on router to pc and power on. Can't get to setup page 192.168.1.1. I guess something is wrong with the router?

---------- Post added at 13:21 ---------- Previous post was at 13:19 ----------

And Sir John Luke, I have done the setup you wrote. Tried wired, still nothing.