Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Stay on G or upgrade to N

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Stay on G or upgrade to N

Old 05-03-2009, 11:59   #16
Ibanez49
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Tv XL, Broadband L Phone L
Ibanez49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Stay on G or upgrade to N

Ive had the belkin N router (not vision) for over a year and it runs quickly and works great. I've never had a sinlge problem with it
Ibanez49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2009, 17:00   #17
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanez49 View Post
Ive had the belkin N router (not vision) for over a year and it runs quickly and works great. I've never had a sinlge problem with it
it's the n1 vision that causes the problems DO NOT BUY
Old 05-03-2009, 17:44   #18
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

what kinda issues Martyh? got 1 here and if you put the latest firmware on it it runs perfectly
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 21:01   #19
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Got a Belkin n+ the other day. Works great. No dropouts yet. Not even a reason for a restart. Even has a very slow usb port on the back for hdd's. Hopefully a firmware update will add support for printers or at least improve the speed.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 21:14   #20
DocDutch
argh

DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

DT ... there is... and it has made some improvements on usb
Old 06-03-2009, 14:28   #21
deathtrap3000
Inactive

Services: V+ HD XL BT Infinity 80mbps
deathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enoughdeathtrap3000 will become famous soon enough

Must have been really slow to begin with cos its still quite slow. Unless you are talking about the pre release firmware.
deathtrap3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 14:58   #22
DocDutch
argh

pre release mate...but its on the http://www.belkin.com/uk/support/art...d=14640&scid=0
Old 06-03-2009, 15:44   #23
*sloman*
Inactive

Services: 100MB, M Phone and XL TV (1x Tivo, 1x Samsung V+)
*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough*sloman* is a jewel in the rough

I have a normal N1 (not Vision) had for 2yrs works a treat.

I those 2yrs only had to give it a reboot 3-4times and its on 24/7

No USB support, No Wireless 802.11a or Dual Band. but still good!
*sloman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 18:00   #24
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocDutch View Post
what kinda issues Martyh? got 1 here and if you put the latest firmware on it it runs perfectly
hi every time i scrolled through the lcd screen it would drop the connection for about 1min then reconnect,this is a known issue with the n1 vision .I tried 2, both had same issue despite the firmware upgrades, 2 in total and one of those was a beta,so i returned it to pc world and exchanged it for a netgear wndr3300 which has been excelent
I was disapointed with belkin as on the face of it it should be an excelent router and they do produce some good products, but unfortunately they havn't got the firmware sorted yet.also their tech support is absolutley hopeless,to be told that" if it does reconnect on it's own then not to worry if the screen doesn't work properly" was the final straw
It will be a cold day in hell before i use belkin again
by the way i am running a 500gb buffalo nas drive with a 500gb seagate usb plugged in with no probs at all ,it never worked properly with the n1
Old 24-03-2009, 15:16   #25
StevenJohnson
Inactive

StevenJohnson is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the D-Link 655 and it's great, you can do a lot of tweaking with it or just leave the default settings alone. Right out of the box you will notice the difference, I did!
StevenJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 15:52   #26
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
sorry I edited. You need to assertain if it actually is or if there is some contributing factor to the break down. TBH I hate wireless with a passion and have personally never had any luck with it and just cabled up the house. The only wifi device I use is my mobile.
Agreed.. I hate wireless too. Having said that, a good router/access point can make a difference, as can the structure of the building.

At home, I have a standard 3 bedroom semi, with an Apple Time Capsule roughly in the middle of the house (to be exactly in the middle, I'd need to hang it from the ceiling, which I cannot do. I get good coverage around most of the house. Apart from (infuriatingly enough) the far end of my bedroom (where my bed is). Reception is a bit patchy there.

The Thompson Speedtouch 780w (actually a BeBox) it replaced was directly under my bed (but on the lower floor) and gave no reception in my room, however I angled the antennae.

At work, we have two Cisco Wirless APs (not sure of the model, but they are commercial ones and powered by Ethernet) per floor and they give good coverage considering we are in an old building with stone walls that are mostly between 3 and 4 foot thick (even the interior walls).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote