Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NAS & Outlook Data file

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NAS & Outlook Data file

Old 24-07-2008, 10:31   #1
cnewton2k
Inactive

Services: 100 Meg + Phone
cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to cnewton2k
NAS & Outlook Data file

Hey again!!

Its me again asking for help!!!

I want to setup a network drive so that i can access my email from any PC and music as well. I am looking @ the following drive..

http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10994

Anyone had any experience of this one? Would it work?

See attached PDF for setup.

Cheers
cnewton2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-07-2008, 12:49   #2
silveraden
Inactive

silveraden is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: NAS & Outlook Data file

Are you looking for a driver or the whole device... don't really know what you mean by "drive"
silveraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 12:56   #3
cnewton2k
Inactive

cnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of lightcnewton2k is a glorious beacon of light

Am looking for a drive that will sit on my network and be accessible anytime.
Old 24-07-2008, 13:10   #4
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

That drive will do the job. You'll need to follow the instructions for setting it up (passwords, user IDs etc), but you'll be able to access it as follows.

Click Start, then Run and type "'\\<disk>\<share>"

or

Click Start, then Run and type "net use z: \\<disk>\<share>"

The first one displays a window showing the contents of <share>. The second points the drive letter Z at the contents of <share> (so it'll be accessible via the Z drive).

<disk> is the name of the device on the network, and <share> is the name of the share on the disk. You'll need to look up in the instructions how to set these up.,
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 13:19   #5
RDDearing
Inactive

RDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enoughRDDearing will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to RDDearing

The only thing to bear in mind is that only one machine will be able to use the PST file at any one time - at least I seem to remember this being a limitation.
RDDearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 13:21   #6
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Correct RDDearing, we have it setup in the office
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 13:39   #7
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDDearing View Post
The only thing to bear in mind is that only one machine will be able to use the PST file at any one time - at least I seem to remember this being a limitation.

That's useful to know. Thanks for the information and confirmation. It would be rather worrying if the file was not locked in this way. Rather too much potential for parallel updates and data loss.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 13:39   #8
silveraden
Inactive

silveraden is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham M View Post
Correct RDDearing, we have it setup in the office
I was thinking the same thing too... We have this kind of similar set-up in office..
silveraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 13:41   #9
cnewton2k
Inactive

Thats wicked then.

So i take it i would be able to Map a network drive in windows so it reconnects everytime it starts?
Old 24-07-2008, 13:43   #10
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

yep.
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 14:09   #11
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M

Although you don't have to map the network drive you could just point Outlook to \\server\\share\outlook.pst
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 14:58   #12
SOSAGES
Inactive

SOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of societySOSAGES is a pillar of society

use imap ?
gotta be easier
SOSAGES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 00:50   #13
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

There's always exchange if you need to access the calender and everything across multiple computers but it's certainly not free I pay about £5/month for a 3gb exchange account

Still might be worth it if you need to have the calender synced but need to have outlook running on multiple pcs at once.

Also syncs nicely with Windows Mobile based devices, Which when combined with a decent data plan is quite handy.

Did mean I didn't lose my contacts when I managed to lose my Pda/Phone
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 10:09   #14
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

You ought to be aware of this:
Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link

If you go that route, make sure you keep .pst file backups (and often).

I used to work that way - never suffered a .pst corruption but I used to get the .pst file left locked if Outlook crashed or had to be killed (it used to hang occasionally). To clear the locks I had to restart samba on the NAS.

I now use IMAP (and Thunderbird - but that's a different story).
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 14:46   #15
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGeezer View Post
You ought to be aware of this:
Personal folder files are unsupported over a LAN or over a WAN link

If you go that route, make sure you keep .pst file backups (and often).

I used to work that way - never suffered a .pst corruption but I used to get the .pst file left locked if Outlook crashed or had to be killed (it used to hang occasionally). To clear the locks I had to restart samba on the NAS.

I now use IMAP (and Thunderbird - but that's a different story).
Used to use Imap with TB and backed up calender/contacts to server via Sync Kolab, not a bad soltution but a bit clunky.

Is there anything free/opensource that can do the Calender/Contacts and works with a windows mobile device?
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote