Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54

Old 13-02-2008, 12:58   #1
middlefinger
Inactive

middlefinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54

Morning,

I've got the above wireless router which has worked well up until last sunday, I got round the problem and then it happened again on Tuesday.

The problem im having is that the computer using the buffalo adapter is struggling to recquire a network address and my wireless laptop won't log on with the correct SSID and AES key.

I've used AOSS to setup the network, which works really well. To get round the problem I was having I cancelled AOSS, unplugged everything and deleted any profiles for that connection, re-plugged in everything and started AOSS from the router and the buffalo adapter, this set up another secure wireless network automatically. This worked a treat for two days then it happened again.

Does anybody know why this is happening or can help me stop it from happening. Its pretty easy to restart the AOSS, its just annoying that I need to keep doing it. Its stopping others in the house from using the net while im out or away as im the only 1 who knows what to do.

My PC wired to the router works fine all the time so im guessing that the router is changing some wifi settings itself . Maybe I might be better binning AOSS and setting up the wireless side manually.

Thanks for any help
middlefinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-02-2008, 13:42   #2
weest
Inactive

weest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Buffalo AirStation WHR-HP-G54

I have the WHR-G54S, and had the same problem.

Firstly, ditch AOSS and remove Client Manager from any PC that uses it. If you use Windows XP, use the Windows Zero Configuration service. This detects that you are establishing a wireless connection and asks for various bits of information, including the WPA-AES key.

Secondly, set the router to provide fixed IP addresses to each wireless device. This can be set in the DHCP options. As yours is a slightly different router I don't know if all the menu options are the same, so I can't quote them. Also, I'm at work and can't remember the names of them even if they were relevant!
weest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 13:59   #3
londoner_1
Inactive

londoner_1 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlefinger View Post
Morning,

I've got the above wireless router which has worked well up until last sunday, I got round the problem and then it happened again on Tuesday.

The problem im having is that the computer using the buffalo adapter is struggling to recquire a network address and my wireless laptop won't log on with the correct SSID and AES key.

I've used AOSS to setup the network, which works really well. To get round the problem I was having I cancelled AOSS, unplugged everything and deleted any profiles for that connection, re-plugged in everything and started AOSS from the router and the buffalo adapter, this set up another secure wireless network automatically. This worked a treat for two days then it happened again.

Does anybody know why this is happening or can help me stop it from happening. Its pretty easy to restart the AOSS, its just annoying that I need to keep doing it. Its stopping others in the house from using the net while im out or away as im the only 1 who knows what to do.

My PC wired to the router works fine all the time so im guessing that the router is changing some wifi settings itself . Maybe I might be better binning AOSS and setting up the wireless side manually.

Thanks for any help

I use the same router, downloaded the DDWRT firmware to replace the crappy buffalo one and have never looked back since. I can now boost the wireless signal power, get 125mb connection (to non buffalo wireless cards), fast file transfers, advance url filtering, etc.
londoner_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 14:58   #4
middlefinger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by londoner_1 View Post
I use the same router, downloaded the DDWRT firmware to replace the crappy buffalo one and have never looked back since. I can now boost the wireless signal power, get 125mb connection (to non buffalo wireless cards), fast file transfers, advance url filtering, etc.
Thanks for the help, think I might try the DDWRT firmware. Never flashed anything before so is this straight forward to do?

If I keep the buffalo firmware I was thinking of binning AOSS & Client manager and doing the manual set-up but wasn't sure which settings to enable and disable and which security to use. Any help on doing this would be magic. Also weest, if you could help abit more with setting static IP's maybe when your home, if possible, as I haven't done anything like this before.

Im new to networking but im not bad with computers so I should get the gist of things with a little push in the right direction.

Juggling between the 2 at min, dont wanna fry the router though
Old 13-02-2008, 15:35   #5
weest
Inactive

This is for the WHR-G54S, but it will probabley be the same for your router.

You need to go into the advanced settings of the router. Under LAN config there should be a tab for DHCP server. There will be a section to "Add Client Information". For each device you want to connect the network, you need to add the MAC address of the network card in that device. You will also need to enter the IP address that you want to assign to it. Do this for each wireless device you want to connect to the network. At the top of the page will be the available IP address range.

On the client (PC) end of the connection, Windows should take you through what information it needs (at least it did for me).

To find out the MAC address of the network card in a PC, open the command prompt and enter IPCONFIG/ ALL. The MAC address is listed under Physical Address.

Hope this helps
Old 13-02-2008, 15:52   #6
londoner_1
Inactive

londoner_1 can only hope to improve

Quote:
Thanks for the help, think I might try the DDWRT firmware. Never flashed anything before so is this straight forward to do?

If I keep the buffalo firmware I was thinking of binning AOSS & Client manager and doing the manual set-up but wasn't sure which settings to enable and disable and which security to use. Any help on doing this would be magic. Also weest, if you could help abit more with setting static IP's maybe when your home, if possible, as I haven't done anything like this before.

Im new to networking but im not bad with computers so I should get the gist of things with a little push in the right direction.

Juggling between the 2 at min, dont wanna fry the router though

I flashed it using the standard flashing tool used to flash a linksys unit from their site:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe

This tool also worked with my Buffalo whr hp g54 1:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2324

FLASHING INTRUCTIONS:

The one critical step to a successful flash is to set the host computer to a static IP in the range matching the router- 192.168.11.x (x can be anything between 2 and 254).

Set the pc IP to 192.168.11.1, browse to your intended .bin (firmware) file and select it, leave the password blank and set the retries to 99 (20 is usually enough).

Make sure your ethernet cable is connected to the NIC on the computer, and a LAN port on the router.

Click "Upgrade" on the tftp utility, and casually put power to the router. The utility will attempt upgrades and fail.....that's fine. Watch the LAN icon in your task bar as it attempts to acquire an IP. Just as you see it connect and find an IP, the utility will begin to flash the upgrade to the router. After it's complete, sit and wait about 2 minutes (more or less, depending on variables) and the router will reboot itself. When it's finished booting, it's done.

Reset your host computer to its previous IP configuration. This has to be either DHCP or static in the range of 192.168.1.x., because now that the router has DD-WRT flashed, it's IP has changed from 192.168.11.1 to 192.168.1.1. Do a hard reset on the router and it's ready to configure.

This above method is easy and i've done it a few times on the same router, MY DDWRT is v2.3 sp2 and does not include the latest ddwrt which has a more features on it.

Hope that's helpful.
londoner_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2008, 16:12   #7
weest
Inactive

How easy is it to put the router back to its original firmware? I've read a few things online and thought this might be the way to go, but don't want to mess up our network and upset her who must be obeyed!
Old 14-02-2008, 08:22   #8
middlefinger
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by weest View Post
This is for the WHR-G54S, but it will probabley be the same for your router.

You need to go into the advanced settings of the router. Under LAN config there should be a tab for DHCP server. There will be a section to "Add Client Information". For each device you want to connect the network, you need to add the MAC address of the network card in that device. You will also need to enter the IP address that you want to assign to it. Do this for each wireless device you want to connect to the network. At the top of the page will be the available IP address range.

On the client (PC) end of the connection, Windows should take you through what information it needs (at least it did for me).

To find out the MAC address of the network card in a PC, open the command prompt and enter IPCONFIG/ ALL. The MAC address is listed under Physical Address.

Hope this helps
Thanks for this, will try it over the wkend. Is there another way to find the Mac address of the wireless adapter, last time i tried using IPCONFIG in run, the window opened and closed, think the computer might need a re-install, but thats another story

I've managed to swap some automatically given IP addresses to manual in the DHCP section, thanks for the help. I'd already done this a few wks ago for my PS3. Come to think of it, I should be able to get the mac address for the wireless adapter from this menu, i'll just change the IP addy from auto to manual, that should then make it static. Does this sound right.

I'll get shut of the AOSS when it next goes crazy and do a manual setup. Am I better sticking with the AES security or should I use another? And is there any other settings I should be aware of?

Thks again
Old 14-02-2008, 08:28   #9
southwell
Inactive

Services: Sky HD Virgin Phone + 50mb
southwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation erasouthwell has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Thanks for this, will try it over the wkend. Is there another way to find the Mac address of the wireless adapter, last time i tried using IPCONFIG in run, the window opened and closed, think the computer might need a re-install, but thats another story
Thats because you have to open up command first

start
run
cmd
then type ipconfig /all

HTH
southwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2008, 08:42   #10
middlefinger
Inactive

Quote:
FLASHING INTRUCTIONS:

The one critical step to a successful flash is to set the host computer to a static IP in the range matching the router- 192.168.11.x (x can be anything between 2 and 254).

My computer wired to the router is set on a manual IP, im taking manual means static, as the others I haven't set still say auto. The IP is 192.168.11.X, x being the number i've gave it.

Set the pc IP to 192.168.11.1, browse to your intended .bin (firmware) file and select it, leave the password blank and set the retries to 99 (20 is usually enough).

This bit has got me abit lost, I thought the IP of the wired computer should be as point 1? Sorry but i've never done this before so pls go easy. Or do you mean change this on the PC and not the router?

Make sure your ethernet cable is connected to the NIC on the computer, and a LAN port on the router.

Im guessing here but should I only have the host computer connected to the router and nothing else? Take out the cables running to my PS3 and take out the cable from my modem to my router (or will the modem need to be connected). I always have the router connected to my main PC but would the cable need to be in a different port?

Click "Upgrade" on the tftp utility, and casually put power to the router. The utility will attempt upgrades and fail.....that's fine. Watch the LAN icon in your task bar as it attempts to acquire an IP. Just as you see it connect and find an IP, the utility will begin to flash the upgrade to the router. After it's complete, sit and wait about 2 minutes (more or less, depending on variables) and the router will reboot itself. When it's finished booting, it's done.

This bit sounds ok, except for casually add power? Please can you explain abit more.

Reset your host computer to its previous IP configuration. This has to be either DHCP or static in the range of 192.168.1.x., because now that the router has DD-WRT flashed, it's IP has changed from 192.168.11.1 to 192.168.1.1. Do a hard reset on the router and it's ready to configure.

This bit, im all confused . Sorry mate but these instructions are sending me dizzy. I think I might be out of my league here. I think I need a flashing guide to a complete DIVVY. Im confused with keep changing the IP address.

This above method is easy and i've done it a few times on the same router, MY DDWRT is v2.3 sp2 and does not include the latest ddwrt which has a more features on it.

If you can be assed going through my points i'd be mucho grateful but if you can't be bothered and think this is a to big a job for me, NO problem sir. I know i've asked alot but thanks for the information you've given me so far.

Hope that's helpful.
Old 21-06-2008, 11:23   #11
vbnmu
Inactive

vbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about themvbnmu has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
I flashed it using the standard flashing tool used to flash a linksys unit from their site:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/tftp.exe

This tool also worked with my Buffalo whr hp g54 1:

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop...ProductID=2324

FLASHING INTRUCTIONS:

Hope that's helpful.
Hi...

I did what you said, except that I used another tftp program that has a working link on the dd-wrt website. I am now able to access the dd wrt control panel on my buffalo whr-hp-g54 but I do not have an internet connection. I also flashed with the latest firmware, v2.4.
I am on cable and if i connect the modem directly to my laptop it works fine.
any idea what am doing wrong?

PROBLEM SOLVED

Simply had to reset my modem.
Did it last night but it didn't work coz the modem was conected directly to my laptop.
reliefff.......................
vbnmu is offline   Reply With Quote