Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless modem/router with no wireless card installed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless modem/router with no wireless card installed

Old 16-01-2008, 18:11   #1
bip30
Inactive

bip30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless modem/router with no wireless card installed

I recently purchased a used wireless modem/router, SMC 8013WG. When it arrived I noticed there was no wireless network card installed, so this would currently only work as a wired modem/router. My question is, if I plug a wireless network card into the slot in the back, will this simply do the trick? I've been searching online, and all I see are wireless network cards for laptops and desktop computers. Would these work if I plug this in? Or is there something else I would need to get? Thanks.
bip30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-01-2008, 18:24   #2
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Wireless modem/router with no wireless card installed

Do you have manual for it?

Just looked (Googled) some photos of it - the slot looks as if it's a PCMCIA Card slot but without checking the manual I wouldn't go shoving anything in there just yet.

---------- Post added at 18:24 ---------- Previous post was at 18:21 ----------

Ahh - found it.

Is there a bulge next to the power socket? If so - that's the wireless....
Old 16-01-2008, 18:40   #3
bip30
Inactive

yeah it has that bulge like in the photo, and i unscrewed it and it seems like its a port for a wireless card. So a standard card should work if I put it in there? the same type that go in laptops?
also, on the bottom of the modem it says "IEEE 802.11b Wireless card". Would I have to get this type, or do the newer 802.11g cards work as well, because I think they are compatible with each other, right?
Thank you very much for your help.
Old 16-01-2008, 18:54   #4
LSainsbury

Was it sold to you as wireless capable / ready? If so - you need to take it back as you have not got what you paid for.

I wouldn't go putting anything in there just yet...it may need a special type of card from SMC.
Old 16-01-2008, 19:10   #5
bip30
Inactive

It was sold to me as a wireless capable modem/router. I didnt spend much at all on it so it wouldn't even be worth the hassle to return it, if I could at all. I was basically just wondering what type of wireless cards go in these wireless modems, and if they are the same as the ones for laptops, because that is all I see on the internet.
Old 16-01-2008, 19:28   #6
LSainsbury

As I said before - it may be some special wireless card made by the manufacturer. I'd checkout the manual to see if that yields any clues or contact SMC to see what cards go in there.

I would not put anything in that slot until it's confirmed what actually goes in there as you may damage the device.