Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Question

Old 14-01-2008, 15:59   #1
HoofHearted
Inactive

HoofHearted is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Question

I currently have a VirginMedia Cable Modem,but want to go wireless to get the most from my PSP and Ipod Touch.I phoned VM and they told me I had to buy one and set it up.

Now I know bugger all about PC's so do I goto PC World and just buy a good one they recommend, or can someone here help me with a choice.Any help is greatly appreciated.
HoofHearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2008, 16:07   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: Wireless Question

I would suggest a Linksys router, such as the WRT54G. You won't need a speedboost model (GS) as the PSP & Ipod won't support it.
The WRT54G can work out of the box although you may want to enable WPA security (which looks like it will work on both PSP and IPod).
If your only PC is next to the modem, I wouldn't bother with a wireless adapter for it.
You can get the WRT54G from PCWorld, but you can probably get it cheaper online.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 16:13   #3
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
... you can probably get it cheaper online.
Less than £40 on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Linksys-Wireless-G-Broadband-Router-2-4GHZ-WRT54G_W0QQitemZ200191955228QQihZ010QQcategoryZ449 97QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That includes P&P, and a guar...

Well, it includes P&P
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 16:20   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

A couple of our articles can give you a walk through of the setup and installation of a router. For most people if you follow the manuals it is straght forward.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2008, 16:27   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I can't remember the model as I am at work but I have a netgear router that is great.

Whatever you do, don't go to PC World. They'll try to sell you a fridge if you aren't careful!! They are dodgy if you don't really know what you are looking for.
Old 14-01-2008, 22:23   #6
HoofHearted
Inactive

HoofHearted is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your input and suggestions guys.I have gone for the Linksy's and see how I get on.No doubt I'll be returning to pick your brains once again.
HoofHearted is offline   Reply With Quote