Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wireless internet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

wireless internet

Old 26-03-2006, 21:55   #1
inviroman
Inactive

Services: 10 meg cable modem ntl 250
inviroman is an unknown quantity at this point
wireless internet

first i dont know a thing about wireless as i hard wired my house with cat5 but i now need to connect to the web via wifi anywhere i go ie airports cafes hotels etc can some one explain how i do it
thanks
my laptop has wireless enabled 11mb/54mb
inviroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2006, 22:16   #2
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star
Re: wireless internet

Usually it picks up the wireless signal itself, and there you go.

But, in some cases it will notify you with a "Wireless network found" message, on which you click and click connect.

Obviously if you miss this message you can double click the Wireless icon in your system tray.

Make sure your wiFi is switched on throughout this.

It's really simple

Also, to scan for new networks press "Refresh network list" in the menu that appears after double clicking the wireless icon.

Simple.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 22:23   #3
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

I've only seen prepay wifi... you pay for the amount of time you'll be connected and they provide you with the credentials you'll need to connect to their wireless access point.

Provided you've already got the hardware (which you have by the sounds of it) then you'd just need to pay the provider.

There are some free-of-charge wifi spots popping up over the place... Wikipedia has some info and some links to some interesting sites. I think the idea is that businesses, ie McDonalds, small coffee shops, etc... set up a wireless AP in the hope that you'll go there and buy their products whilst surfing the web for free, and that you'll potentially stay longer (and drink more coffee and eat more burgers) if you're happily surfing the web for 'free'.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:18 ----------

One thing to be careful of, however, is the presence of evil twin networks... these are wireless access points that are set up in the same location as legitimate access points with the sole intention of getting people to connect and then stealing any passwords, credit card numbers, etc... that they have used.

The customer is unaware that instead of connecting to the access point that they paid to use, they're really connected to the evil twin, so they quite happily access confidential information, buy stuff, etc... without realising what is happening.

The moral of the story is to check closely which network you're connected to if you ever use a public wifi spot.
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 16:14   #4
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

More on evil twin wifi points.......
Old 26-04-2007, 22:56   #5
Gareth
cf.mega poster

See, I wasn't just making this stuff up
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote