Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Strange wireless problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Strange wireless problem

Old 09-10-2009, 20:33   #1
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Strange wireless problem

Code:

> PC
Modem > Router > 8 Port hub > Belkin wireless access point to 2 laptops
                            > 5 Port hub to xbox + HTPC
We have 2 laptops that run through the belkin, on the odd occassion one will drop to local access only and no amount of trying will get the net back where as the other laptop will still have full access to the net & the network.

The only way to get it back is to shutdown the whole network from modem down and then restart it.

Twice today, once on each lappy, earlier in the week on my wife's and a few weeks ago on my wife's.

Any idea's

cheers

Al
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-10-2009, 22:30   #2
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Strange wireless problem

So it's only the wireless devices that are effected? You should only need to reset the wireless access point and nothing else to temporarily solve that.

Are you using hubs like you said, or did you mean switches? Hubs will cause a lot of problems on networks.

I think it'd be easier to buy a wireless router with a built in 4 port switch. That will eliminate the 8 port hub and wireless access point. Also replace the 5 port hub with a port switch.

Other than that, I don't really know what to suggest, unless the wireless access point isn't configured correctly.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 22:46   #3
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

My understanding is that Wireless access points will only allow access to one device at a time.

When you say the odd occasion - does that coincide with the times that you want more than one device to access the internet.?
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:45   #4
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHiLL View Post
So it's only the wireless devices that are effected? You should only need to reset the wireless access point and nothing else to temporarily solve that.

Are you using hubs like you said, or did you mean switches? Hubs will cause a lot of problems on networks.

I think it'd be easier to buy a wireless router with a built in 4 port switch. That will eliminate the 8 port hub and wireless access point. Also replace the 5 port hub with a port switch.

Other than that, I don't really know what to suggest, unless the wireless access point isn't configured correctly.
My bad they are Newlink 5 Port 10/100 Switch http://www.web-systems.co.uk/?page=Products&pid=3130 1x8 & 1x5 the wireless belkin access point is also a router with no ports but configured as an access point, everything is configured ok and the vast majority of time everything can be on without problems.

---------- Post added at 06:45 ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonRoad View Post
My understanding is that Wireless access points will only allow access to one device at a time.

When you say the odd occasion - does that coincide with the times that you want more than one device to access the internet.?
No I can have the media centre on DL'ing playing XBL with both laptops online and the pc up stairs without any problems.

Its actually done it again this morning, restarting the access point had no effect but when I restarted the linksys router then disconnected & reconnected the laptop from the network all is fine.

Off out now but will add more info tomorrow if required.

Cheers

Al
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:42   #5
CHiLL
cf.geek

Services: Sky+ TV and Virgin Media 10MB Internet.
CHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of lightCHiLL is a glorious beacon of light

Unless someone can come up with a solution, maybe the best bet is to get rid of the Belkin access point, and Linksys router and replace them with one single Linksys wireless router.
CHiLL is offline   Reply With Quote