Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Phone Time........Again

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Science & Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New Phone Time........Again

Old 06-01-2017, 16:55   #1
Down the Pub
Inactive

Services: Phone/TV/50meg
Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute
New Phone Time........Again

Afternoon people......... didn't realise I'd been away from here so long 😀.

My sim free mobile is playing up, so looking to replace but can't afford another sim free. now I can upgrade ee sim only contract to phone deal, but it's phone that stuck on.......On their website it keeps offering me the iphone but preferably want to stick with android.

Now one of the deals looking at in my price bracket is the Huawei P9.

Has anyone experience of Huawei or the P9? keep reading that the hardware is spot on but huawei's gimped emotion ui hampers it........although that and despite slow updates it's still a really good usable phone.

Other options are the LG G5's - the full fat 5 and the diet SE versions which are virtually the same, only difference is that the SE has snapdragon 652 and 3gb ram as opposed to the 825 chip and 4gb on the full G5 so wonder if it's a bit gimped with the slower chipset in it?.......And the hi-fi card bundled with the SE make it an attractive propersition but still not sold.

Do like look of iphones and if I didn't have loads of stuff tied on play store and stuff might consider one.......although at 4" the SE model is a bit small for my liking...........Unless someone can convince me otherwise. Also like the pixels but not going to over stretch the budget to have one.

Help as my indecisiveness doesn't help 😂
Down the Pub is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2017, 17:25   #2
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: New Phone Time........Again

I know you said you can't afford another sim free, but how about the OnePlus3, which is only £329, and has 6GB memory and 64GB storage (and is twin sim).

http://www.trustedreviews.com/oneplus-3-review
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 17:54   #3
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I will be upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy S6 sometime this month.

The reason ive not opted for the S7 is that ive read a lot of reviews that state that upgrading from the S5 to S7 just isnt worth the cost.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:08   #4
Down the Pub
Inactive

Down the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond reputeDown the Pub has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I know you said you can't afford another sim free, but how about the OnePlus3, which is only £329, and has 6GB memory and 64GB storage (and is twin sim).

http://www.trustedreviews.com/oneplus-3-review
Like the look of the 3, but haven't got that spare at and won't have that spare for a bit due to work. nice phone but not bothered about dual sim. what happens with updates now cyanogenmod have stopped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I will be upgrading to a Samsung Galaxy S6 sometime this month.

The reason ive not opted for the S7 is that ive read a lot of reviews that state that upgrading from the S5 to S7 just isnt worth the cost.
But wasn't the S6 where Samsung dropped the SD card only to bring it back on the S7
Old 06-01-2017, 22:33   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

No SD Card on the 6 or 7 i dont think but the 6 is 32GB anyway.

If u need more memory you can always attach one of those micro USB drives to port on phone to move images to. I picked up an 16GB one for £8.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 22:56   #6
Down the Pub
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
No SD Card on the 6 or 7 i dont think but the 6 is 32GB anyway.

If u need more memory you can always attach one of those micro USB drives to port on phone to move images to. I picked up an 16GB one for £8.
no the S7 has SD card, it was only the S6 which Samsung realised was a bit of a mistake.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:28   #7
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Yep the S7 has a dual slot tray which takes both the sim and micro sd card. It's a really nice phone and the Edge display is glorious but it's expensive. Samsung also tend to drag their heels a bit when it comes to updates.

My other half has the G5 and there's not much to fault apart from the battery life which I don't think is fantastic. Great camera too.
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 14:18   #8
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads

Have you heard of One Plus? I have their One Plus One, very happy with it overall for the price. Their latest model is One Plus 3T. I know someone that has it and they are very happy with it!

It is available sim free at: https://oneplus.net/uk/3t else O2 do it on a contract if you prefer.

Another phone I came across that looks really good is the Axon 7.

https://www.debenhamsplus.com/p/1162...FRITGwodqOQGHw

However I don't know anyone using this but reading reviews it seems it is on par or even better than the One Plus.

EDIT: just saw the comments re: One Plus. Just to note the One Plus 3 has been discontinued. The new model is 3T which mainly has a better processor. This model is c. £400 but available on contract from O2.

To note re: iPhone, I have the SE (work phone), good phone but very small screen. You might want to go for the iPhone 6S which is same performance pretty much with a bigger screen. I got my wife one for Xmas. She is not "loving" it as you cannot do everything you could on an Android but I guess with an iPhone everything just works. Personally I would never move from Android to iOS anytime soon...

Last edited by dcclanuk; 07-01-2017 at 14:22.
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 15:14   #9
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I would really look at the One Plus 3 as its a cracking phone at a great price.

Also the Galaxy S7 and the LG G5 are brill. I had the S2 through to S5 and currently have the LG G4.
Old 07-01-2017, 18:48   #10
Down the Pub
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcclanuk View Post
Have you heard of One Plus? I have their One Plus One, very happy with it overall for the price. Their latest model is One Plus 3T. I know someone that has it and they are very happy with it!

It is available sim free at: https://oneplus.net/uk/3t else O2 do it on a contract if you prefer.

Another phone I came across that looks really good is the Axon 7.

https://www.debenhamsplus.com/p/1162...FRITGwodqOQGHw

However I don't know anyone using this but reading reviews it seems it is on par or even better than the One Plus.

EDIT: just saw the comments re: One Plus. Just to note the One Plus 3 has been discontinued. The new model is 3T which mainly has a better processor. This model is c. £400 but available on contract from O2.

To note re: iPhone, I have the SE (work phone), good phone but very small screen. You might want to go for the iPhone 6S which is same performance pretty much with a bigger screen. I got my wife one for Xmas. She is not "loving" it as you cannot do everything you could on an Android but I guess with an iPhone everything just works. Personally I would never move from Android to iOS anytime soon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I would really look at the One Plus 3 as its a cracking phone at a great price.

Also the Galaxy S7 and the LG G5 are brill. I had the S2 through to S5 and currently have the LG G4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Yep the S7 has a dual slot tray which takes both the sim and micro sd card. It's a really nice phone and the Edge display is glorious but it's expensive. Samsung also tend to drag their heels a bit when it comes to updates.

My other half has the G5 and there's not much to fault apart from the battery life which I don't think is fantastic. Great camera too.

the oneplus is a nice phone, but is only on o2 - and staying well clear, was with them from like 2000 until few months ago as their signal coverage was just plain crap - 2 phones one on o2 and the other on voda and the signal on them was night a day so now with ee and not really anywhere I don't get signal.

the zte looks nice but out of price range on that.........anything to do with bmw's hand in it never used zte and o idea on update speed.

now the kicker is the G5 and the SE variant. heard the vanilla one is pretty good, its just LG's software lets it down - compared to emui (not good) and then the SE which is the same phone except for a cut down cpu and 1GB less ram and comes with hifi card.

reading more on the p9, and it seems like although emui can be a pain but if you can work with it and put up with the quirks then it is a good phone.

bloody hell...............this happens everytime, esp with the likes of the S8 and G6 round the corner which will inevitably bring the likes of the S7 and others down in price and on more generous contract deals - or will it?
Old 07-01-2017, 20:00   #11
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down the Pub View Post
bloody hell...............this happens everytime, esp with the likes of the S8 and G6 round the corner which will inevitably bring the likes of the S7 and others down in price and on more generous contract deals - or will it?
You'd think, but it doesn't seem the be the case. I got my S5 two years ago, just as the S6 was about to launch. I paid £100 up front, then £18.50 per month. Due an upgrade now so I've been looking at S7s but can't get anywhere near a similar price. Even looked at the S6, but again they are IMO pretty expensive for a two year old model.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 20:59   #12
Down the Pub
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
You'd think, but it doesn't seem the be the case. I got my S5 two years ago, just as the S6 was about to launch. I paid £100 up front, then £18.50 per month. Due an upgrade now so I've been looking at S7s but can't get anywhere near a similar price. Even looked at the S6, but again they are IMO pretty expensive for a two year old model.
nothing is that cheap now but just did a quick comparison between then as near as I can get to package needed....... wasn't surprised

S7/32GB UL T/T 15GB £50
S6/32GB UL T/T 15GB £45
G5/32GB UL T/T 15GB £40
G5SE/32GB UL T/T 15GB £40
P9/32GB UL T/T 15GB £35

many permutations, but current top phone only £5 more than phone nearly 2 years old and cheapest phone isn't that bad a phone despite it being bottom.
Old 07-01-2017, 21:20   #13
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Some good deals on Tesco mobile, you can pay for the phone over two years and usually a good price
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 21:59   #14
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Oneplus 3T
Old 07-01-2017, 22:10   #15
Down the Pub
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by progers View Post
Some good deals on Tesco mobile, you can pay for the phone over two years and usually a good price
that looks an awfully like o2's refresh contracts, but staying off o2 network mate as places I go and work signal is very hit or miss, so staying with ee for time being just because I've not lost signal since been with them.

---------- Post added at 22:10 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Oneplus 3T
hello matey, long time ..........oneplus not available on ee as its an o2 exclusive on contract and not entertaining o2 in near future.