Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 connection to Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 connection to Router

Old 21-01-2017, 22:34   #1
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold
V6 connection to Router

I feel I am perhaps being an idiot here, but I am unable to come to a satisfactory conclusion after reading up on the subject - so if you may indulge me.

Is the V6 box capable of WiFi connection to the SHub2? I note that the VM blurb on their website makes specific mention of the install of the V6 being done close to the modem and using an Ethernet cable; and doesn't really mention (as far as I can see) any WiFI alternative.
JackSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-01-2017, 22:44   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: V6 connection to Router

The preferred install is with a wired connection, however WiFi is possible if you can't do a wired option.

WiFi can be variable due to each your house construction and other factors, so there isn't an guarantee that it'll work, though some people on here have had no issues connecting the V6 via WiFi.
Old 22-01-2017, 15:58   #3
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ben!

Fortunately, the TivO and the Router are both in the same room, albeit opposite sides of an archway, so they are only 3 metres apart. I just don't want to have to reconfigure the room to snake around a cable if I can avoid it. Sounds like it should be ok.
JackSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 15:53   #4
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
The preferred install is with a wired connection, however WiFi is possible if you can't do a wired option.

WiFi can be variable due to each your house construction and other factors, so there isn't an guarantee that it'll work, though some people on here have had no issues connecting the V6 via WiFi.

Hi Ben, would the engineer be able to use the already connected cable that goes to my TiVo, on the V6?

Thx
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 16:00   #5
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

If you've already wired your TiVo up to the Hub using Ethernet then yes.

With the V6 box you need a seperate network connection to the coax.
Old 23-01-2017, 16:21   #6
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
If you've already wired your TiVo up to the Hub using Ethernet then yes.

With the V6 box you need a seperate network connection to the coax.
My TiVo isn't connected directly to the shub, it's connected from a box under my floor, the shub has its own separate connection from the same box/adapter
Old 23-01-2017, 16:25   #7
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

So you'll need the additional direct connection for the V6 then. Either via Ethernet, Powerline or WiFi.
Old 23-01-2017, 16:31   #8
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
So you'll need the additional direct connection for the V6 then. Either via Ethernet, Powerline or WiFi.
Ok, thanks for your help Ben.
Old 23-01-2017, 23:31   #9
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Just one thing Ben, why can't the cable that goes to my TiVo not be any use for the V6, isn't the TiVo connection something like 10Mb?
Old 24-01-2017, 10:45   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Because the V6 doesn't have a built in modem like the current TiVo does.

Even if it had done, you'd still have needed to connect it to the home network to stream recordings to the TVA app or to another box in the home.

Last edited by BenMcr; 24-01-2017 at 10:52.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 16:31   #11
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Because the V6 doesn't have a built in modem like the current TiVo does.

Even if it had done, you'd still have needed to connect it to the home network to stream recordings to the TVA app or to another box in the home.

Ah ok, thanks for that Ben.