Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Doctor Who

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Doctor Who

Old 24-04-2016, 07:09   #166
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Doctor Who

I remember the tour guides telling us we could take as many picture of inside the Tardis as we liked but requested we didn't do so of the outside which was basically a load of wooden planks and panels in the shape of a dome as they felt it could damage the 'magic' in fans' minds of the Tardis which I can understand if you saw how naff it looks.

However we went on over to the guy who designs the current Daleks, he took the 'lid' off from one of them and showed us how they are controlled which I didn't expect as by doing so would have the same effect.

Obviously wooden inside, there's a seat - in reality just a wooden plank - and no floor to it so the operator moves the unit around Fred Flintstone-style. Their left hand controls the gun and takes over if the remote controlled head fails, the plunger is connected to a handle that goes under their right armpit and the right hand controls the eye stalk from a modified handle.

That clip looks promising but although I'm not really sure what else I was expecting from inside a Dalek they don't really have the same impact anymore
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2016, 11:18   #167
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I think I'm going to like her. Seems fun. Reminds me of Ace a bit.
Old 24-04-2016, 12:07   #168
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Personally, I think the trailer just released makes the character look clichéd, cheesy and potentially irritating. In that sense, she is just like Ace.

However, I've been wrong before (I though Catherine Tate was going to be annoying, but she turned into one of the best assistants, IMO), so hopefully I'll be proved wrong again/
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 14:05   #169
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
In that sense, she is just like Ace.
Nothing like Ace (who I really liked).

Not particularly impressed by her in that clip, but I think it would be very foolish to base my like/dislike on one clip - so I guess we'll see in 2017.

(unless she's in the 2016 xmas special of course).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 03:30   #170
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Any idea how they plan to execute Matt Lucas's role as the comic relief over an entire season? Its all jolly for a single special episode but could they really get away with that over the whole series? I have a mixed view on it, I don't know whether I like him or its going to annoy me.

I've never disliked anything about the 2005 revival series thus far. There's plenty I've liked far more than others though. E.G being I don't dislike Martha Jones but she'd be down near the bottom. So here's hoping it continues with the new companion and whatever Lucas does over the series.

Truth be told however, I've never felt so disinterested and skeptical about a new companion as I have Pearl. As for worries about her being comic relief... As above, Matt Lucas is now in that mix.
Old 26-12-2016, 09:20   #171
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I did enjoy the christmas episode.

New series looks interesting. apparently they have gone back to basics.

Still not sold on the new companion though. Matt Lucas would be a better choice!
Old 26-12-2016, 10:04   #172
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Don't usually like the Xmas specials, but this was good and the only thing worth watching on Christmas Day. Tennant's first was the only other good one, last year's was appalling sentimental slush.
Hope Capldi continues for a few more years, however with a new producer coming and 3 seasons now being standard, this might be his last.
New companions are a bit of a worry. I like Lucas, but he should have ignored the critics and stuck to Pompidou (am I the only one who loved it?).
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:25   #173
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Did you mean Madam Pompadour?
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 11:50   #174
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Did you mean Madam Pompadour?
No, Pompidou .

Pompidou: why the critics are wrong about Matt Lucas's comedy

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-r...y_to_clipboard
Old 26-12-2016, 13:37   #175
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

This was the first Christmas Special I've actually really liked for quite a while (since Titanic).

Not sure about Matt Lucas, I think he may wear thin after a while.

Equally not sure about Pearl, but then I was very sceptical about Catherine Tate when we learned she would be a companion, and that worked out ok.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 16:56   #176
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
This was the first Christmas Special I've actually really liked for quite a while
Yep me too.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 22:19   #177
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Doctor Who Official ‏@bbcdoctorwho 2m
2 minutes ago

More
Peter Capaldi reveals to Jo Whiley that the new series of #DoctorWho will be his last…
Hear the moment now @ http://bbc.in/2kLA9hZ
Dave42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 22:25   #178
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

What is it with a few seasons and done? Is it a stepping stone? Like you can see American TV shows run for 10 years with the same lead actor.

I liked Capaldi but I can't see me missing him that much. Still Smith and Tennant here.

Alright then? Matt Smith to return? Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne.

More seriously of course, Jason Isaacs or Hugh Laurie? Anyone got some?

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 30-01-2017 at 22:32.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 22:35   #179
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Timmy Mallet, obvious choice.
Old 30-01-2017, 22:56   #180
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
What is it with a few seasons and done? Is it a stepping stone? Like you can see American TV shows run for 10 years with the same lead actor.

I liked Capaldi but I can't see me missing him that much. Still Smith and Tennant here.

Alright then? Matt Smith to return? Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne.

More seriously of course, Jason Isaacs or Hugh Laurie? Anyone got some?

Doubtful. They tend not to go for anyone particularly well known. Generally the actor playing the Doctor may have been a regular in a TV series, but he will not have been that well known. That said, there are exceptions. Peter Davison was already playing a major character in a successful TV series (All Creatures Great And Small), Christopher Ecclestone had already been in Shallow Grave and quite a few successful TV series and films and obviously John Hurt (who has been in a *lot* of successful films). I think they went for Christopher because they were relaunching the show. They needed someone relatively well known to increase the show's chances of being a hit. John Hurt was introduced because I think they felt they needed a really big star to launch the 50th Anniversary special.

I doubt it will happen, but I'd like to see Paul McGann have a crack at it again. I think that given a well written series with decent special effects, I think he would have made a great Doctor. I actually think he made a good Doctor in the TV movie, but while it also had excellent special effects (for the time) and a cool looking Tardis interior, I think that neither the writer nor director had any clue about what makes Doctor Who special and seemed to assume it was just a generic action/sci fi show. They assumed that good SFX, a few one liners and a story about time would be enough.

That's one think I like about Doctor Who. The stories. In the old series, they had a saying that you could spend a tenner on the special effects and still get change, but they had some great stories (The Caves of Androzani, Genesis of the Daleks being two). Yes, the sets looked awful, as did the SFX, but the story kept the viewer on the edge of his or her seat.. With the movie, the sets looked great, as did the SFX (for the time, although they look incredibly dated now), but the story was a bit.. meh.

Who would I like to see as The Doctor? Probably someone like Richard E Grant. I know he isn't the handsome heroic type, but the Doctor has not always looked like that handsome heroic type. Look at John Pertwee and Patrick Troughton. No disrespect to either, as I believe they both made good doctors, but I wouldn't say either looked handsome or heroic. I think Richard could carry it off, as he seems just eccentric enough.

I do wonder if the actors consider it a stepping stone (and it certainly seems to have been one for Tom Baker, David Tennant and Matt Smith), but the average stay seems to be 3-4 years.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote