Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | D-Link DWA-140 and Windows 7...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

D-Link DWA-140 and Windows 7...

Old 06-06-2010, 13:17   #1
bolt7
Inactive

bolt7 is an unknown quantity at this point
D-Link DWA-140 and Windows 7...

Hey Guys,

I've recently bought a D-Link Wireless N DWA-140 USB Adapter to connect to my wireless home network. I've tried setting up today, but am having a load of trouble getting the bloody thing working. =X

I'm attempting to connect it up with my DIR-615 Wireless N Router given to me by Virgin, but to no avail. I installed the software and drivers as instructed (I'm running on Windows 7 32-bit here) and tried plugging in my adapter when prompted. The little light on the adapter flashes, but goes off and remains off after no more than a second. My PC is recognising that the device is plugged in... but I'm getting no light, nothing.

Regardless, I opened up the 'connection wizard' and attempted to 'scan' for my home network. The adapter couldn't find anything... not one network! (I know there are other networks next door and in the area, but it didn't find any.) I tried the 'push button' method, but still I had problems, receiving a big fat red cross and 'connection failed' at my PC.

I've noticed if I wiggle the adapter round a bit, the light comes on for about 3 - 4 seconds, then disappears again. I'm not sure if it's a problem with the adapter itself... as like I said, even when the light is off, the PC picks up that it is plugged in no problem.

I've outsourced to some print screens I've taken while mucking about with the adapter. It seems my PC is telling me that it's locating the adapter fine, and that it's working no problems. The little light just doesn't come on at all though... and it doesn't seem to want to 'scan' for networks.

http://i46.tinypic.com/21ops9d.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/25t9m4o.png
http://i47.tinypic.com/ej5rlw.png
http://i50.tinypic.com/24l3c6h.png
http://i49.tinypic.com/aovq77.png
http://i49.tinypic.com/2iggn5h.png
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mow9si.png
http://i48.tinypic.com/98rrqx.png

I'm at the end of my tether here, and after researching online into the DWA-140 adapter, it seems like a Windows 7 problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
bolt7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-06-2010, 16:09   #2
JediMaster
Inactive

JediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these partsJediMaster is just so famous around these parts
Re: D-Link DWA-140 and Windows 7...

Before the D-Link USB adaptor, how did you connect to Internet??

I'm having trouble with Windows 7 & Wireless (not connecting) & just thought maybe yours is a similar issue?
JediMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 17:42   #3
Quam256
Inactive

Services: XL,Phone and 60mb .
Quam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of lightQuam256 is a glorious beacon of light

What version of driver are you using for the adaptor .
Just found it in your pics ,cant see that driver version on Dlink ,is it a driver windows or Dlink as latest driver from what I
can see is 1.2
Driver/Utility for Windows Xp / Vista / Win7 32 and 64Bit
30/11/2009

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:17 ----------

Are you using WPA2 or WEP ?
My guess WPA2 if you are try WEP see if any better.
Quam256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 22:33   #4
bolt7
Inactive

First, I must apologise for the huge delay with this response. I've been busy with other things (visiting my other half in Sweden) and checking back here at Cable Forum in regards to this problem completely slipped my mind. I really appreciate both of your advice though and thank you for that- but I'm happy to say the problem is now fixed.

I decided to forget the D-Link drivers and instead installed ones from Ralink. Apparently, the D-Link USB Adapter hardware uses Ralink's chipset, therefore installing the Ralink drivers should in theory still get it working- and it did!

Despite now connecting to my home network, the device itself kept mysteriously ejecting from my computer (with the OS beeping whenever it did, and then beeping again once it'd reconnected itself.) I fixed this by simply taking the device out of the USB adapter it came with (they're rubbish) and plugged it in directly. I wouldn't advise using it at all, just plug the D-Link device straight into USB, forget the crummy adapter!

Apologies again for the late reply.
Old 27-01-2011, 21:16   #5
bluebrigade
Inactive

bluebrigade is an unknown quantity at this point

Having problems with this, how do you install the railink drivers?
bluebrigade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 21:52   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You don't. The drivers install themselves automatically as they're built into Windows.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2011, 22:12   #7
bluebrigade
Inactive

Still cant get it working as it says that the device is not reckognised.

Any ideas?
Old 28-01-2011, 12:29   #8
bolt7
Inactive

Have you tried inserting it into another USB port?

To get mine working, I had to download the drivers from this link;

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php

The chipset included in the DWA-140 is the Ralink RT2870 drivers, so click the first link on that page and try giving them a download. I found the D-Link drivers were worthless, but thankfully installing those Ralink ones seemed to fix my recognition issues.
Old 28-01-2011, 19:54   #9
bluebrigade
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolt7 View Post
Have you tried inserting it into another USB port?

To get mine working, I had to download the drivers from this link;

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php

The chipset included in the DWA-140 is the Ralink RT2870 drivers, so click the first link on that page and try giving them a download. I found the D-Link drivers were worthless, but thankfully installing those Ralink ones seemed to fix my recognition issues.
I downloaded the drivers but when I unzip them there is nothing there to install.

Any ideas?
Old 30-01-2011, 12:02   #10
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

I have got this same adapter but never used it. I seem to remember the packaging warning you to install the software before connecting the adapter as perhaps this causes an issue.

Just a thought.
Old 30-01-2011, 14:10   #11
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Not on Windows 7, the driver is built-in to Windows and doesn't require installing.
Old 31-01-2011, 13:45   #12
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
I have got this same adapter but never used it. I seem to remember the packaging warning you to install the software before connecting the adapter as perhaps this causes an issue.

Just a thought.
The only reason for this is so they can install their own wireless connection control system.

When I install mine, I download the latest drivers from the D-Link website and plug in the device and point it to the drivers I've downloded; works fine.
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2011, 14:10   #13
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Funny, when you plug it in it *should* install itself. You shouldn't have to point it to anywhere, be online, or download anything.
Old 15-11-2011, 17:12   #14
rap220
Inactive

rap220 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have read through the post but am still having rouble with this adaptor. If i let windows install the drivers itself it uses the ralink ones but can not find any network to connect to.
If i use the d-link software i can see all the networks but can not connect to one.
The only thing it says is attempting to authorise. Any help would be very much appreciated.
rap220 is offline   Reply With Quote