Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | please help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

please help!

Old 06-07-2009, 13:59   #1
chow
Inactive

chow is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry please help!

Hi all, hope you can help as im getting serious grief off the kids!
i had a linkys wrt 54 gl router which has worked great, however last week we had a new modem fitted with the new 10mb free upgrade, tried to use the router and it would not connect to the internet, tried going through the complete set up again using the cd rom etc, still no luck when you got to the stage where the router tried to configure itself it just kept saying no internet connection available tried linkys customer support, no luck, they couldnt sort despite costing me a fortune in phone bills, i suspected the router had developed a fault ,... as it happened a mate had a brand new router same model, so i bought it off him , tried again with the new router,..yeah you guessed same problem exactly!!!
Im a bit reluctant to spend a fortune with linkys again if i can help it so id thougt id ask you boffins first ,could it be this router is not compatable with the new virgin router? or is there some reset neede my PC? any help will be very gratefully received,
PS the internet connection is perfect if you disconnect the router and plug the cable from the modem directly into the PC
chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2009, 14:02   #2
moaningmags
Inactive

Services: 20mb, Tv, Phone
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
moaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze arraymoaningmags has a bronze array
Re: please help!

When you disconnect the modem from the pc and connect it to the router, are you rebooting the modem?
You need to reboot the modem everytime you change the device connected to it.

Turn off the modem and router.
Connect router to modem.
Power on the modem wait for the Ready light to stay on.
Turn on the Linksys, as long as the Linksys is set to use dynamic or DHCP it should then speak to the modem.
moaningmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:17   #3
chow
Inactive

Angry Re: please help!

Tried all that im afraid ,was on to linkys again for best part of a hour still no success, they reckon the router could be faulty, but seeing as the same problemas now happened to two routers one of which was working perfectly well before virgin fitted the new modem makes me doubtfull, the only other thing is im waiting for virgin to replace the cable section that comes into the house this week as it faulty and giving according to the engineer who came a very weak signal, however the cable has been faulty for some time and as said these problems only arised after the new 10mb modem was fitted last week.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:23   #4
zing_deleted

Has the modem been activated?

First of all forget the cd

There should be a little reset button on the rear of the router press and hold that for 30 seconds and release. turn off modem router and pc. Switch on modem and allow to settle turn on router and allow to settle turn on pc . Do you have a new connection now? If so good good

If all working open web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and enter the router pages open and request user and password admin admin.

Set up a wireless key selecting WPA2 personal as your type and TKIP/AES and use a password.

Goto admin section and change router password.

In your first post you say virgin router I take it you mean modem and you were not supplied with the netgear router as well as a modem?

If none of this works and you feel upto it we could try a custom firmware on one of the routers
Old 07-07-2009, 12:45   #5
snodvan
Inactive

snodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of lightsnodvan is a glorious beacon of light

These posts fill me with dread - "The Man" is due to arrive this afternoon to set me up with a separate modem / 10 Meg rather than the set top box/ 2 Meg I have been using for years (with no problems at all).

I also have a wireless router (elderly Belkin) which serves 4 machines on the house network.

Snod

Update - "The Man" came, fitted the separate modem, did some re-boots and left me doing the re-register. It all WORKS! The only very minor point is that the new separate modem is downstairs next to the set top box while all the computers are upstairs in the "office room". I will cope

Snod
snodvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:10   #6
chow
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zing View Post
Has the modem been activated?

First of all forget the cd

There should be a little reset button on the rear of the router press and hold that for 30 seconds and release. turn off modem router and pc. Switch on modem and allow to settle turn on router and allow to settle turn on pc . Do you have a new connection now? If so good good

If all working open web browser and type in 192.168.1.1 and enter the router pages open and request user and password admin admin.

Set up a wireless key selecting WPA2 personal as your type and TKIP/AES and use a password.

Goto admin section and change router password.

In your first post you say virgin router I take it you mean modem and you were not supplied with the netgear router as well as a modem?

If none of this works and you feel upto it we could try a custom firmware on one of the routers

hi, yes, i meant a virgin modem, i assume my modems activated as the system works fine with the broadband cable plugged directly into my pc problems only occur when i try and set up the router, as for your other suggestions all that was done when i was speaking to the linksys tech people with no success howeveri have been supplied with a virgin router are they worth using ?the thing i liked about my linksys was the fact it had a hard wired conection to my pc, which i beleive makes it a more reliable connection, or im i talking complete rubbish? thanks again
Old 08-07-2009, 11:12   #7
zing_deleted

you are right the netgear off VM allows that also. Your linksys dont work so the netgear has to bebetter if it does lol
Old 08-07-2009, 13:43   #8
chow
Inactive

Quote:
you are right the netgear off VM allows that also. Your linksys dont work so the netgear has to bebetter if it does lol
ive had the linksys for a couple of years and it has up to now worked fautlessly the problems have only arisen since the new modem was fitted so im interested to find out whats going on if poss, cheers
Old 09-07-2009, 13:04   #9
chow
Inactive

Quote:
cheers, looking at the instructions for my virgin router it says disconnect the cable from the modem to the pc as you do not need it any more, which is why i assumed you canot connect the router by cable to the pc, the other thing is my modem is a long way and three thick walls from my pc another reason why i wanted a hard connection if poss any help /advice gratefully received
Old 10-07-2009, 16:48   #10
chow
Inactive

Problem sorted, thanks to virgin who kindly sent me free router and a uk based tech guy all now working well, kids are happy, thanks for the replies
Old 10-07-2009, 18:31   #11
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

If I could just mention..... when you put "please help" in the subject/title I tend to ignore for quite a while where as if you put "please help, router " or "please help, modem" I know it will be something I can or cannot help with.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote