Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | outdoor wireless setup

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

outdoor wireless setup

Old 21-06-2009, 22:32   #1
imwporsche
Inactive

imwporsche is an unknown quantity at this point
outdoor wireless setup

Hi, I live in a 7 story old concrete and steel building. I am on the 2nd floor and my roof deck is 5 stories up. I have wi fi on my laptop in my aprtment and it works fine wherever I am in the apartment, but it does not work on the roof deck. Is there a booster I can buy toa send the signal either thru the building or up the side to the roof. My roof deck is directly above me and there is a building opposite me that I could bounce a beam off. Also we are no allowed to run any cables up to the roof. I use a Linksys device for my wi fi from the broadband connection.
Thanks,
Iain Watson.
imwporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-06-2009, 22:43   #2
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star
Re: outdoor wireless setup

Is there power on, or near, your roofdeck?
If so you could use a homeplug device to extend your wireless upstairs. Have a google for 'homeplug access point'.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 22:43   #3
Turkey Machine
Inactive

Services: Company LLU internet, soon-to-be company FTTC internet at 56Mb/20Mb!
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze age
Turkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze ageTurkey Machine has reached the bronze age

Give this template a go, attach it to your aerial on the router. http://www.freeantennas.com/projects...te2/index.html

The bigger it is, the better the gain on the signal, but too big and the gain is lessened. Standard A4 gave me a 3db gain to the top of my 3 storey house.
Turkey Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2009, 23:06   #4
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

From the IP of the OP I suspect he isn't UK based. Different standards may apply in his country.

In the UK running a cable up the outside of a block of flats would need consent of the other owners in the building. I'd be surprised if something like homeplug would work, even if the roof does have power, since three storeys away it's likely to be on a different power circuit / meter / phase.

I would presume you are using the laptop on battery power. You might just have to plump for a dongle to a mobile internet service.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote