Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

[GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Old 18-05-2010, 10:39   #61
mjpartyboy
Inactive

mjpartyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: [GUIDE] Dir-615 to dd-wrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
I have managed to flash it to the 2nd firmware, can access the gui fine.

However when I have the cable modem plugged into it, it does not pickup the wan ip and I have no internet access. I plug the cable modem back into the pc and the pc picks up the wan ip fine.

In the setup page I have the wan config set to automatic dhcp configuration which the help slider on the right says is correct for cable isp's.

any ideas?

---------- Post added at 05:16 ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 ----------

Ok I got the net working, I had to clone my pc mac on the router.
I've never had this problem with DD-WRT.

I always unplug the power from the modem when updating the router's firmware, then once that's done I power up the modem and let it settle down before powering up the router. It will then grant the router's MAC address a new IP, which will be different to the IP the modem issues to your PC's MAC address. I'm guessing you haven't unplugged the modem, which explains why cloning your PC's MAC is working with the router.

Quote:
If I upgrade to this 14311 version do I just upgrade as normal or do I need to reset all my settings first?
The DD-WRT forums always recommend doing a 30/30/30 reset before and after updating the firmware. This will wipe all settings and restore the firmware to default settings.
mjpartyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-05-2010, 11:46   #62
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

yes I deliberatly kept the modem powered up.

so the issue perhaps was I didnt let the dhcp expire.

shame on the firmware upgrade procedure, I dont really fancy reconfiguring it all again, but probably later on I will do it.

browsing speeds seem to stall sometimes using this router which is why I want to try and upgrade the firmware.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2010, 13:46   #63
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
shame on the firmware upgrade procedure, I dont really fancy reconfiguring it all again, but probably later on I will do it.

browsing speeds seem to stall sometimes using this router which is why I want to try and upgrade the firmware.
A 30/30/30 reset is usually the best thing to do for any router before and after upgrading the firmware. It makes sure all settings and memory stores are dumped, so that you start with a clean router for the new firmware.

I've had the most success and stable performance with DD-WRT build 14311 on my DIR-615 D2.
Old 18-05-2010, 13:59   #64
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
JFYI, I didnt do any resets and Im working just fine.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 03:07   #65
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

thanks, but for now I decided to stay on this firmware. Seems stable now and performs well enough.

is a bit annoying that when reconfiguring settings it resets tcp connections but other then that seems a decent router feature wise.
Old 20-05-2010, 10:22   #66
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

I ended up upgrading , the old 13xxx version was for the dir600 which bugged me, I did the same as paul didnt bother with the 30/30/30 rubbish and works fine.

ran that command to fix the red led and saved it as a startup command.
Old 20-05-2010, 15:41   #67
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
ran that command to fix the red led and saved it as a startup command.
I haven't botheresd to run the commands to change the lights, but it's reported that the reset light reverts to red after the router has been power cycled.
Old 20-05-2010, 16:11   #68
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

yep thats why I added it to startup, I assume that will fix that problem. If it doesnt it will be ok I guess as I dont plan to power cycle the router and will probably be powered on for months at a time.
Old 21-05-2010, 14:14   #69
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
yep thats why I added it to startup, I assume that will fix that problem.
Apparently it makes no difference and it goes back to red on reboot.

I've set DD-WRT to reboot the router early every morning, just to flush any possible memory leaks, etc.
Old 21-05-2010, 14:36   #70
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

is it supposed to be blue instead?

on the old 13xxx version there was no led permanently lit.
on 14311 it defaults to red and reverts to blue after the command.
Old 21-05-2010, 19:36   #71
mjpartyboy
Inactive

Quote:
is it supposed to be blue instead?
I'm sure the last time I put D-Link firmware back on the side light was never lit during normal operation and only lit up blue when pressed.
Old 22-05-2010, 04:43   #72
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

yeah I am thinking of going back to 13xxx, as I understand it the only real issues 13xxx has is wireless, I can avoid using wireless on this router and I will just put up with it saying its a dir600. This new version seems to have occasional problems browsing and the blue light is annoying me.
Old 23-05-2010, 20:15   #73
DanFerret
Inactive

DanFerret is an unknown quantity at this point

Been reading about this DD-WRT update for the last few days after not being too impressed by the standard D-Link firmware and the general performance of the router.

I'm wondering though does the DD-WRT firmware really improve performance? Or does it just allow you to change more options?
DanFerret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 20:48   #74
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
yeah I am thinking of going back to 13xxx, as I understand it the only real issues 13xxx has is wireless, I can avoid using wireless on this router and I will just put up with it saying its a dir600. This new version seems to have occasional problems browsing and the blue light is annoying me.
Blue light ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2010, 07:14   #75
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Blue light ?
on the side of the router, on original VM firmware and the 13xxx by default it turned red during flashing (so you should know which light I mean).

after flashing 14xxx the red stayed on all the time, I then ran a command which made it blue all the time.

However I have now managed to solve it and stay on 14311, there is another command that turns it completely off again.