Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PCAnywhere & NTL

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PCAnywhere & NTL

Old 26-03-2006, 11:58   #1
wibblemonster
Inactive

wibblemonster is an unknown quantity at this point
PCAnywhere & NTL

Can anyone help, I'm trying to use PCanywhere 10.5 to remotley connect to another pc (my girlfreinds) both of which are with NTL and both behind Linksys routers but cant seem to make it work. I've allocated static IP addresses for all the NIC's, machines are using norton firewall(remote) and windows firewall(host) and have PCA configured to allow with appropriate ports added. I've also set port forwarding on the routers for the ports 5631 & 5632 that PCA uses to the host static IP address behind the router.

I can ping the router at my girlfriends IP address over the WAN.
PCA is set for TCP/IP on the host and on the remote(mine) with the correct port numbers
Just cant get a connection.

I can remotely connect to my sisters who is with tiscali without problem
So what am I missing??

any help for a newbie most appreciated
wibblemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-03-2006, 12:10   #2
Tuftus

Re: PCAnywhere & NTL

Windows Firewall?
Old 26-03-2006, 12:20   #3
wibblemonster
Inactive

Sorry I incorrectly said was using norton FW on both, I am using windows firewall on host machine but I've already added ports 5631/32 to the exceptions list as well as the PCA programs with no joy.
Old 26-03-2006, 12:37   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Whatever it is, it's not ntl - I use PCA to connect to my home machine from friends & work. You do realise that PCA uses UDP on port 5632, not TCP ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 12:46   #5
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

You could also try using real vnc on port 5900
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 12:51   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

You can change the port number to whatever you like anyway. Also, you can disable the UDP 'handshake' if you want.

Old 26-03-2006, 13:06   #7
wibblemonster
Inactive

I've set both routers to accept ports 5631/5632 for both UDP & TCP anyway. Its a linksys 4 port router and I even tried creating seperate entries in the port fowarding for the TCP & UDP ports but no difference.
Old 26-03-2006, 20:04   #8
jellybaby
Inactive

Services: VM VIP50
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
jellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze arrayjellybaby has a bronze array
Send a message via AIM to jellybaby Send a message via MSN to jellybaby

Have you turned on Upnp on the router?
jellybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 22:35   #9
wibblemonster
Inactive

After a bit of investigation I've ruled out the router as I connect to my laptop via the host ip and router using the same ststic ip address. seems to be a problem with the pc or its NIC. It can get internet connectivity and can connect as a remote back to my pc but not the opposite way around for some reason.
Old 26-03-2006, 22:37   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Turn off / disable all firewall software on the pc.

Old 26-03-2006, 22:55   #11
wibblemonster
Inactive

Tried that too, I'm really scratching my head. Possibly a problem with the protocols?
Old 27-03-2006, 21:30   #12
wibblemonster
Inactive

Sorted.....corrupt winsocks. All tickety boo now.