Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | some webpages make my modem reboot??

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

some webpages make my modem reboot??

Old 21-03-2006, 15:17   #1
parkie
Inactive

parkie is an unknown quantity at this point
some webpages make my modem reboot??

Originally this only occured when I visited the bbc weather page, now I've found another of my bookmarks that makes it happen quietpc.com. Is there any reason why this would happen? is it the modem? is it some code in the pages themselves? I click on the bookmark link, all activity stops on the modem and then it reboots??? New modem? I've got an engineer coming friday to install Digital TV, would he be able to change my modem if I asked customer services? I currently have the Motorola Surfboard 4100, would that fix it? Anyone else having this problems?

cheers

p
parkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-03-2006, 17:44   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: some webpages make my modem reboot??

Does it happen if you type the URL in manually or use an external link to it (google etc)?
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 20:13   #3
parkie
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Does it happen if you type the URL in manually or use an external link to it (google etc)?
just tried, it does the same thing either way, very strange!!

p
Old 21-03-2006, 20:37   #4
torque
Inactive

torque is an unknown quantity at this point

It seems to be, according to other threads here, issues with 10Base-T Nic's or routers with 10Base-T Wan ports. My router has been suffering this problem for a month or so now and has finally got annoying enough for me to order one with a 100Base-T Wan port.
I'm using SB4100 also.
torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2006, 22:04   #5
parkie
Inactive

I've got a Netgear WGR614, it's 10/100, so it can't be that.
Anyone else have this problem?

p
Old 22-03-2006, 23:07   #6
torque
Inactive

torque is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm using a Netgear RT314 which has served me fine until this problem. If you're having this problem on 100Base-T Wan then I'm stumped and annoyed as I thought a new router would sort things out Guess we need new modem firmware or new modem.
torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2006, 23:40   #7
parkie
Inactive

I phoned broadband support today and the guy I spoke to had never heard of the problem, one thing I do know is it's definately the router, I plugged my modem straight in to my PC and all those pages worked without a problem. Safe to say I'll be emailing Netgear tomorrow about this, maybe I'll get them to send me one of their new routers!!!

p
Old 22-03-2006, 23:42   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I'm hard pressed to see why it would happen, a router does not normally scan the content of what it's receiving, other than to know where to send it.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 09:54   #9
r1ch
Inactive

r1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation erar1ch has entered a golden reputation era

Is there anything in the router or modem logs that might help?
r1ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 11:03   #10
alick
Inactive

alick is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a SB4100 and have the same problem - I can force a modem reboot if I visit the messageboard on www.b3ta.com.

The thing is, this page contains a lot of external links to images on other sites - my suspicion was that it was either an overload of DNS request or perhaps just an overload of UDP packets going via the modem. It's not a general problem with large numbers of connections as P2P type stuff (e.g. BitTorrent) works fine.

This has only started in the past few weeks. I'm guessing that it's not the local modem but more likely the head-end equipment that has been 'upgraded' at some point.
alick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 12:47   #11
OldGeezer
Inactive

OldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enoughOldGeezer will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkie
I phoned broadband support today and the guy I spoke to had never heard of the problem, one thing I do know is it's definately the router, I plugged my modem straight in to my PC and all those pages worked without a problem. Safe to say I'll be emailing Netgear tomorrow about this, maybe I'll get them to send me one of their new routers!!!

p
I had the same problem with a Netgear WGT624 (I think - it's been in the cupboard about a year). Replaced it with a DrayTek and never looked back.
OldGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 19:07   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Moved to Networking as the router is the problem.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 19:22   #13
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M
I'm hard pressed to see why it would happen, a router does not normally scan the content of what it's receiving, other than to know where to send it.
The router might scan if there is some sort of content filter running on it.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 20:26   #14
parkie
Inactive

could it have anything to do with port forwarding? thats the only router setting tweaked (bittorrent).

cheers

p
Old 24-03-2006, 00:24   #15
parkie
Inactive

Sorted it, all I did was change the port setting in the WAN setup section from 10M to AUTO and now everything works fine. I'm not sure what the default setting is but putting it to AUTO has solved my problem so I'm chuffed

p