Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Adding a wireless printer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Adding a wireless printer

Old 09-09-2011, 17:10   #1
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Adding a wireless printer

I've only just found out that the printer I've been using for months is actually wireless-enabled, the question is how do I connect it to my LAN?

I have a desktop with XP and a laptop with 7, the router is one of VM's Netgear jobbies, how do I link them all up?

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2011, 18:04   #2
Waldo Pepper
Inactive

Waldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation eraWaldo Pepper has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Adding a wireless printer

Assuming it has an ethernet port connect direct.
1. Ensure the SSID of the printer is the same as your network.
2. Enable DHCP.
3. Ensure you add the wireless network key should it be enabled.
4. disconnect ethernet
5. Add printer from control panel.

A bit vague but could do with more info like model of printer.
Waldo Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 18:08   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Continuing the instructions.. Once you have it recognised by your wireless router allocate it a reserved address from the dhcp pool.. Then on your PC just go into the printer properties (I presume you currently have it installed as a local printer) and add a new TCPIP port giving the IP address you reserved for it.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 20:33   #4
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
Assuming it has an ethernet port connect direct.
1. Ensure the SSID of the printer is the same as your network.
2. Enable DHCP.
3. Ensure you add the wireless network key should it be enabled.
4. disconnect ethernet
5. Add printer from control panel.

A bit vague but could do with more info like model of printer.
Um...in English please?!

It's a Canon MP495.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 10-09-2011, 14:56   #5
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

*bumpage*

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 10-09-2011, 16:08   #6
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

If you have the original cd that came with the printer there are instructions here:

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consu...ial%20Setup%29

scroll down to
"Wireless Connection Connecting the Machine to the Network (Initial Setup)"
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 00:21   #7
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

So the printer needs to be physically connected to the router - am I reading that right? I was under the impression that was not necessary.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 11-09-2011, 06:30   #8
Dai
Inactive

Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze

Yes. It's a bit like setting up the wireless on a router. You need to have a cabled connection while a few initial settings are made such as the gateway (router) address. Once that's done the printer knows where to look for a wireless connection.
Old 11-09-2011, 16:48   #9
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Most printers let you set their settings by pressing the buttons on the printer.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 17:25   #10
Dai
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Most printers let you set their settings by pressing the buttons on the printer.
I know the HP printers that I have set up would allow that to a limited extent. Not sure about the Canon which is why I suggested going this route.
Old 11-09-2011, 22:33   #11
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

OK cheers for all this so far - another stupid question (I really know nothing about networking) - which cable do I use to connect the printer to the router? The only output on the printer is the standard square-ish shaped socked and the cable that cable with it has a USB on the other end which of course doesn't fit anywhere on the router which has ethernet ports.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 11-09-2011, 23:32   #12
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

You connect the printer to your computer.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:03   #13
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

It's been connected for the last 4 months lol

I'll explain the situation in full.

Wireless router is connected (by wire) to computer with XP.

In another room, the printer is connected (by wire) to the laptop with Win7.

The laptop gets used far more than the desktop so what I'd like is to be able to use the printer whatever room I'm in.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 12-09-2011, 11:56   #14
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Does the software currently installed allow you to alter wireless settings on the printer? If yes then you need to configure it the same as any other wifi device with the SSID/Encryption/Key of how your wifi is set-up.

Once that's done you can unplug the printer from your PC, let it connect to the wifi and then in the printer device set-up (customize/properties) you just need to alter the port from USB to standard tcpip port (click add port) giving it the IP as allocated by the router. You may though need to check the IP issued by the router (probably in Attached devices) and also you may want to allocated a reservation for it so the printer always gets the same address.

Once that's done the PC will print via the IP given instead of the USB
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 11:58   #15
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura

The software seems to 'scan' for the printer but for some reason does not find it and asks me to plug the cable in, this happens on both computers.

Vote #AnyoneButTory