Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vista and Cable Modems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Vista and Cable Modems

Old 26-06-2008, 18:28   #1
museltof
Inactive

museltof is an unknown quantity at this point
Vista and Cable Modems

I have finally gopt myself a vista Home Premium system - very nice indeed.

However, my NTL USB Cable Modem 351000 does not love Vista!

Basically, there is a compatibility issue.
I rang Virgin Media. The guy (in an accent which I struggled to understand) told me that Virgin don't currently support Windows Vista, however, he assured me that my problem could be solved by buying an e-connect cable (presumably between my modem and computer). However, when I then did a little research I found that nobody seems to know what an 'e-connect cable' might be!
Can anybody help me with this?
museltof is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2008, 18:37   #2
homealone

Re: Vista and Cable Modems

I believe the agent meant 'ethernet' cable, not 'e-connect'

To use one you will need an ethernet card / connector in your computer - if it doesn't have one they are very cheap & pretty simple to install.

The 'problem' is that no Vista compatible USB drivers have been written for the various modems VM supply. The latest modems don't have an USB connector, at all - only ethernet.
Old 26-06-2008, 18:40   #3
museltof
Inactive

Thanks for that.

Where can I buy a new modem for Vista and how much. Will it come with the correct modem to computer cable??
Old 26-06-2008, 18:40   #4
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130633

Only thing is it's only worth getting there if you want something else from ebuyer at the same time, since otherwise it will cost you more for the postage than the cable
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 18:46   #5
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by museltof View Post
Thanks for that.

Where can I buy a new modem for Vista and how much. Will it come with the correct modem to computer cable??
You cannot legitimately buy a modem from VM, you can only rent one - and as I said, the latest modems only have an ethernet connection, so you would still have the issue of needing the network connection on your computer - most computers have a network connector as standard, nowadays & the cable is easily obtainable from any computer shop - or mail order, as linked by dragon ...
Old 26-06-2008, 19:01   #6
museltof
Inactive

My new Vista computer does indeed have an etrhernet point for the network at the back. There is also an ethernet socket on the back of the modem (never used) but unfortunately I now find that it is dead - no power activity at all.
Old 26-06-2008, 19:12   #7
homealone

Quote:
My new Vista computer does indeed have an etrhernet point for the network at the back. There is also an ethernet socket on the back of the modem (never used) but unfortunately I now find that it is dead - no power activity at all.
You won't see any activity on the network connection until you have removed the USB cable, uninstalled the USB drivers, turned everything off, connected the computer & modem with an ethernet cable & switched it all back on again. (modem first, the first time & allow it time to 'pick up' the new connection, before turning on the PC)
Old 26-06-2008, 19:13   #8
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
If the modem is dead call Tech Support on 151 and they will sort out a replacement modem.
Old 26-06-2008, 19:39   #9
museltof
Inactive

To Homelaone.
What you say is interesting but I am scared stiff to uninstall the USB drivers in case I am left with nothing. How would one even uninstall the USB drivers???
To why Do I need a Tech:
The modem certainly works but not the ethernet connection.
Old 26-06-2008, 19:47   #10
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

It needs to only have one connection to it and it also needs to be powered down when switching connections.

It will not work if you simply change from USB to eithernet without Powercycling the modem.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 20:08   #11
homealone

Quote:
To Homelaone.
What you say is interesting but I am scared stiff to uninstall the USB drivers in case I am left with nothing. How would one even uninstall the USB drivers???
To why Do I need a Tech:
The modem certainly works but not the ethernet connection.
I'm assuming you do have the USB drivers installed, in which case it should just be a case of going to 'add remove programs' in control panel to uninstall them.

- I have to admit I've never used USB for connecting my modem, so I'm not 100% on that & it may be it has to be done via the device manager.

I'm not even sure that you HAVE to uninstall the usb to use ethernet, I was just trying to eliminate any source of conflict. The important thing is to only plug one in at a time - it won't work if both ethernet & usb cables are plugged in at the same time.

does reading this

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/ethernet/index.php

help any?
Old 26-06-2008, 20:12   #12
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

You don't have to uninstall the USB drivers:

1. Turn everything off
2. Disconnect USB cable
3. Connect Ethernet cable
4. Turn Modem on
5. Wait 5 minutes
6. Turn PC on

All should now be well.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 20:17   #13
whydoIneedatech

Services: VIRGIN MEDIA , 20 Mb BB, V+ Box, XL Phone and 2 Virgin Mobiles

Quote:
If you are on Vista and you have a Virginmedia cable modem then you cannot get it to work via a USB lead as the Virginmedia CD is not compatible with Vista and you need the disk to load the USB Drivers from.

You need to purchase a CAT5E Ethernet Cable connect it between the modem and the computer unplug the power from the modem for 30 seconds turn power back on and you will be online, plus you will have a faster and better connection.
Old 26-06-2008, 22:13   #14
museltof
Inactive

Thank you. I'm really grateful to you all for explaining this!!

I will set this up tomorrow and just post back to tell you how I have got on.
Old 27-06-2008, 15:11   #15
museltof
Inactive

Sorry guys. I really appreciate your help but none of these tips have worked.

There is an ethernet light on my modem but it never lights up when I connect via ethernet (It did briefly light once but immediately went back out).
It could be that this modem has used usb for so long that it will never recognise ethernet although everything appears to be in place. Since this computer is new it must have an ethernet card fitted, I would have thought.
Any further suggestions appreciated. Since Virgin Media don't yet officially offer support for Vista they will not change a modem which worked fine with XP.

Any further suggestions??