Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will this do the job?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will this do the job?

Old 29-06-2008, 23:06   #1
KBV1
Inactive

KBV1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Will this do the job?

Hey there!

I have just joined virgin media on there xl 20mg broadband and the router they gave me for free is pretty naff,lol. The highest speed i can get wirelessly is 11mb.

I have been looking at buying a new wireless router to get better speeds and i have came accross this Belkin N Wireless router and adapter.

Im just wondering if this will do a better job with speed and signal as its wireless "N" and also has anyone else got one of these?

Many thanks in advance.

KBV1
KBV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-06-2008, 23:20   #2
Graham M
-

Services: FreeSat+ Tivo V-Box VM 60MBit
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Graham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny starsGraham M has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via MSN to Graham M Send a message via Yahoo to Graham M
Re: Will this do the job?

It should do, but as with anything RF-wise it all depends on distance, noise and quality of signal!
Graham M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 23:50   #3
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

try and keep the router as far away from any electrical fields as possible. i had my router under the tv and was getting some real bad connections even with the router in view.
now after moving router, great 54.0mbs all over the house

with Belkin N mimo router
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 00:21   #4
KBV1
Inactive

i might go out and buy one of these tommrorw then.... hoggie what speed are you getting now via your N wireless router? where did you move your router to as mine is under my TV LOL.
Old 30-06-2008, 00:27   #5
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

its now hanging on the wall behind the curtains lol.
as fare away from all electrics as possible.
i now get 54mb's all over the house and even my neighbour asked what i did to boost my strength.

and make sure you keep gap/dect phone bases as far away as possible.
Hope this helps
Phil

edit: router about 10 foot away from TV lol

i have turned down the N to run at G as i was being bit of a greedy pig with the connection. 100mb but 80mb easy
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2008, 21:22   #6
KBV1
Inactive

Right... i have bought the Belkin N USB dongle and the wireless router to match ( but the router has been ordered as its out of stoke). I have setup the dongle and i connected to the net and with it im getting 18,632kbps which is awesome.. and that is through the free wireless router from virgin.

As im getting them speeds now on my pc from just buying a better dongle.. is there any point keeping the Belkin N wirelss router?

Thanks
Old 30-06-2008, 22:46   #7
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star

sounds like you may have had a channel mismatch originally, which can reduce speeds, if not lose your connection completely.
Old 01-07-2008, 18:14   #8
KBV1
Inactive

Should i keep the router or should i send it back as im getting the 18.6+ meg speeds now by just buying a N wireless dongle?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:26   #9
Polevik
Inactive

Polevik is an unknown quantity at this point

you know what they say , if it aint broke it does not require fixing.
so if the N dongle does the job save yourself some money and send the router back , you can always but the router again when you need to :-)

although I agree with Bender that the issue you where having is most likely a wireless channel issue
Polevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:45   #10
Richy99
Inactive

Services: XL broadband
Richy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of lightRichy99 is a glorious beacon of light

id probably say the wireless dapater he had before wasnt picking up a very good signal from the router and the N series adapter which has a better range has picked up the signal better rather than it being a channel issue
Richy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:53   #11
Polevik
Inactive

Polevik is an unknown quantity at this point

thats another option :-)
Polevik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:00   #12
Druchii
cf.mega poster

Services: Canal Digital: 50/10
Druchii has a nice shiny star
Druchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny starDruchii has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy99 View Post
id probably say the wireless dapater he had before wasnt picking up a very good signal from the router and the N series adapter which has a better range has picked up the signal better rather than it being a channel issue
I agree with you.

He never changed the channel for it to be the causing factor.
Druchii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 14:58   #13
xxtomasxx
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Broadband Size L (No TV, No Phone Line, sweet!) £16pm for the year
xxtomasxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Im not sure what routers best... but I will let u know I found a website thats so cheap for routers and adapters... mostly reconditioned but well worth a look, I got a Netgear 108mg adapter for my laptop, usually about £20 for a fiver

www.digidave.co.uk

Im nothing to do with the site, jus love to share a bargain
xxtomasxx is offline   Reply With Quote