Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Router bought BUT not happy!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Router bought BUT not happy!

Old 27-06-2008, 23:41   #16
Realist
Inactive

Realist is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Belkin Router bought BUT not happy!

ok guys, no luck with this stupid router.

Can anyone recommend me a good one? Something which will tell me which machines/devices are connected to it.. and also something which is good and also possibly futureproof.. around the mark of £60-80.

Thanks!
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2008, 07:34   #17
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
ok guys, no luck with this stupid router.

Can anyone recommend me a good one? Something which will tell me which machines/devices are connected to it.. and also something which is good and also possibly futureproof.. around the mark of £60-80.

Thanks!
Personally i would recommend the d-link dir-635 or dlink dir-655 the 655 is better as it has 4 gigabit ports on the back and it looks a bit better being mostly white (if it's going to be on show) other than that they are pretty much the same they are both 'n' wireless and both have very very good range.
I have had both and have still got the the 655 and i can't fault it, but they are a bit more expensive than your £80 budget
hth
P.S Ebuyer sell them both

I would never buy belkin (pc world is great for looking at not what to buy) everything they tend to push like belkin and norton antivirus are rubbish
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 07:56   #18
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Lucky you, I have the same one down stairs which my laptop won't even find. Not only that, but since I bought the router, it no longer gives me my 10Mb, more or less 4 - 6. Also, I can't take it back because when we set it up in Currys using the very router I bought and my laptop it worked straight away with no problems. Is your modem an Ambit 110 or 120?
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 08:08   #19
saabmania2

saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
Lucky you, I have the same one down stairs which my laptop won't even find. Not only that, but since I bought the router, it no longer gives me my 10Mb, more or less 4 - 6. Also, I can't take it back because when we set it up in Currys using the very router I bought and my laptop it worked straight away with no problems. Is your modem an Ambit 110 or 120?
hi,
no i've got the 255 modem if your getting problems like that then take it back or send it to d-link for warrenty repair these routers do have an 11 year warrenty on them since buying these i always get 18+mbs (except when stm'd) even down the bottom of my garden which is nearly 200ft long
Old 28-06-2008, 08:16   #20
cimt

Currys won't take it back because it works perfectly for them. I was thinking of phoning VM and seeing if it's a problem with the modem conflicting with the router.
Old 28-06-2008, 08:53   #21
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Currys won't take it back because it works perfectly for them. I was thinking of phoning VM and seeing if it's a problem with the modem conflicting with the router.
The modem cannot effect the security set on the modem or change or stop a connection to the wireless. The modem is sat on the WAN side not the LAN side.. Sorry this is NOT a virgin problem. There is clutching at straws but in this case even that will not work .

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 12:50   #22
saabmania2

Quote:
how old is the router? if it is less than 3 months old then currys have to change it all curry's do with returned items is send them to another store to be sold it's cheaper for them to keep rotating the faulty items than to send them back to the manufactuers.
have you got a differant store near you? if so try changing it there by law curry's should change it as it not doing what you need it to do so it is not fit for purpose.
i take it that have you tried updating the routers firmware and the drivers on the wireless laptop? there maybe an update or too
Old 28-06-2008, 13:35   #23
cimt

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmania2 View Post
how old is the router? if it is less than 3 months old then currys have to change it all curry's do with returned items is send them to another store to be sold it's cheaper for them to keep rotating the faulty items than to send them back to the manufactuers.
have you got a differant store near you? if so try changing it there by law curry's should change it as it not doing what you need it to do so it is not fit for purpose.
i take it that have you tried updating the routers firmware and the drivers on the wireless laptop? there maybe an update or too
Yup, I've tried upgrading the firmwire. We've only got the one store. Thing is, Currys have to pay for the product now if there's a replacement or refund, so when it goes back to the manufacture if the product works then Currys have to pay for it. This is why they test things.
Old 28-06-2008, 17:25   #24
Realist
Inactive

Realist is an unknown quantity at this point

Apart from the D-Link ones, anyone else recommend any other Cable Wireless Routers?
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2008, 17:27   #25
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

I would personally go for anything by Linksys, on the basis that they're fairly bullet-proof.

Whether you'd get any additional mileage out of them though I don't know, as I don't know if the newer models have the features that you require (I have two older models which have served me very well for years, so I've never upgraded to a newer model).

Hopefully someone with experience of the newer ones will know for sure.
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 09:39   #26
Polevik
Inactive

Polevik is an unknown quantity at this point

Cimt
You do know that belkin gives you lifetime warranty on the product , so forget going to curry's as long as you have a receipt call belkin and after some troubleshooting they should replace it for you.
there was a problem with a belkin router and VM. that belkin have fixed by applying a new firnware .

so its worthwhile giving them a call :-)

realist
you also need to speak to belkin support, because the problems you are explaining are weird, dont understand why a wep key will effect your wireless connection if key is correct. it seems that you need to understand the hex and passphrase options. I perosnally think you need to change a channel.
Polevik is offline   Reply With Quote