Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Car VIN Question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

Car VIN Question

Old 06-11-2017, 12:53   #1
Central

Services: Sky + HD family pack 50mb XXL Phone M Sutton Coldfield TX
Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society
Car VIN Question

Hello,

On the 30th September 2017 I bought a 57 plate Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Ghia from a dealer. When I was there I looked over the paperwork and the logbook and matched the VIN to the sticker by the door. I also did a check on the car and nothing came back to say it was stolen or written off.

The new logbook came through with the same vin. I checked on Ford Etis and the vin thats on my logbook matches my car registration. However on the chassis stamp and window stamp is a different vin. I know I should of spotted these. I have checked this also on Ford Etis and it comes back the same car but on a 07 plate. Same colour, engine, fuel and a ghia. There are a few minor differences on the ford etis spec list.

I have also looked back at the MOT history on both cars. The number plate on my car has a history of a MOT done every year from 2011 when the car would of been 3 years old. The MOT was done for 5 years at the same dealership in Yorkshire. It then made its way down to Birmingham where a further 2 more MOT's was done at different garages. The next one is due March 2018.

The also checked the MOT of the VIN which is stamped into my chassis and it had 2 MOTS since 2010. One was in Ashford, Kent and the other was in Gillingham. But since then nothing. The mileages don't match for the first 2 years either.

Now I have done about 1200 miles in it since I bought it and have been through Birmingham city centre and up quite a few motorways and nothing has ever came back to me. I have never been stopped.

I am a bit worried as to what to think about it?

Any help or advice please.
Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-11-2017, 13:00   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Car VIN Question

VIN.Sounds like a cut and shunt. I would be worried as these are inherently unsafe. Get the AA or RAC to do an inspection and follow their recommendations.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 13:31   #3
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Contact DVLA with your concerns.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 14:08   #4
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

ouch

definitely a DVLA job, let them sort it out.

you could end up with no car too . . . guess it depends how you paid for it?
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 14:37   #5
Central

Central is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of societyCentral is a pillar of society

Paid for it with debit card
Old 06-11-2017, 16:29   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
VIN.Sounds like a cut and shunt. I would be worried as these are inherently unsafe. Get the AA or RAC to do an inspection and follow their recommendations.
Could alternatively been stolen and given a new identity. Do an HPI check as well as those suggested.
Old 06-11-2017, 18:39   #7
Central

Not registered stolen. And just took it around a mates house and the chassis vin is not correct. It is on a stainless steel plate that looks like it has been glued on top. No idea whats underneath as I am not touching it.
Old 06-11-2017, 19:32   #8
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Go back to the dealer and demand all your money back.

Then call the cops.
Old 06-11-2017, 19:48   #9
Central

I have rang DVLA who want me to write a letter detailing my findings, send in the V5 and all places the VIN is. I Will also send in photos to. But they will take 4 weeks. If the dealer want to resolve it before then what do I do as I don't have the V5?
Old 06-11-2017, 20:20   #10
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

It could be a ringer, if I were you I would get a RAC or AA inspection before any other further contact with DVLA as once their involved it is truly out your hands and you could be out of pocket. Whereas if you still have the car then you may have a chance of the garage offering you some money back as it's amazing what the mention of police and trading standards can do!

Just googled vehicle ring and this is what it came up with.
Vehicle ringing
A ‘Ringer’ is a stolen vehicle that has had its identification numbers replaced by a set from another written-off model and is supplied with bogus documentation.

Ringers have their VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) replaced, so look for evidence of tampering around where the number is recorded. You can find the number on a small plate riveted under the bonnet and stamped on the vehicle’s chassis, under the carpet beside the front seat. In addition, the VIN will sometimes appear in the door pillar or at the base of the windscreen.

If you buy a ringer, it doesn’t legally belong to you, and will be returned to the owner or insurance company if and when it is traced back to you.

Follow these steps to avoid that happening:

Ensure the V5C registration document (logbook) is genuine, with a DVLA watermark running through it
Check for tampering around the VIN numbers
Make sure there is a satisfactory amount of paperwork

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2005/dec/14/8

Was the garage that you bought the car from the one that did it's last MOT?

Last edited by weenie; 06-11-2017 at 20:25.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 23:56   #11
Matthew
cf.mega poster

Matthew has reached the bronze age
Matthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze ageMatthew has reached the bronze age

I can match a VIN to a registration if you need help feel free to drop me a line can possibly help but would report it to DVLA and get a log with the police to cover your back.
Old 08-11-2017, 20:31   #12
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Trading standards would also be interested... was the dealer a small medium or large company. The engine has a number probably on the block which will relate to a specific car. Ford can help you there to identify the car.

Wishing all the best.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote