Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Favourite Sitcoms

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Favourite Sitcoms
View Poll Results: What is your Favourite Sitcom
Steptoe and Son 5 14.29%
On the Buses 5 14.29%
Are You Being Served? 5 14.29%
Some Mothers Do ‘Ave ‘Em 4 11.43%
The Last of the Summer Wine 3 8.57%
Porridge 5 14.29%
It Ain’t Half Hot Mum 1 2.86%
Fawlty Towers 13 37.14%
Open all Hours 5 14.29%
Only Fools and Horses 7 20.00%
Hi-de-Hi! 3 8.57%
One Foot in the Grave 7 20.00%
The Vicar of Dibley 7 20.00%
Dads Army 5 14.29%
Yes Minister 5 14.29%
Blackadder 11 31.43%
Seinfield 0 0%
Father Ted 15 42.86%
The Office 3 8.57%
The Royle Family 3 8.57%
Birds of a Feather 1 2.86%
Bilko 2 5.71%
Hancock 0 0%
Friends 7 20.00%
Frasier 5 14.29%
The Simpson's 10 28.57%
South Park 2 5.71%
Others 8 22.86%
Not in the list 9 25.71%
None 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2011, 21:05   #31
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Favourite Sitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltiger View Post
I forgot Home to Roost.
Was not the late great John Thaw in that.
denphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2011, 21:08   #32
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, and it was probably his first comedy role as up till then was type cast as the great Jack Reagan From the Sweeney. Reece Dinsdale played the son.
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 21:19   #33
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Oh, and Love Thy Neighbour.

Another very unfunny sitcom.
Old 02-07-2011, 22:49   #34
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
My Family is well past its sell-by date, for example. Goodness only knows how it has kept going for so long ... a house full of characters that are still utterly two-dimensional after so many years on-screen is unforgivable, even in a sitcom. And its writers have still not twigged that if you derive all your comedy from making your characters irritating and unsympathetic, you make your entire programme irritating and unengaging.
I think that My Family is average comedy at best. I also think that the reason it's still going is simply because we have very little home produced comedy on TV now.

The only terrestrial channels I can think of who produce even a little comedy are the BBC and Channel 4. Of those two, only Channel 4 appears to be investing in a lot of new comedy series. The BBC is investing in 1 or 2, but that's it.

ITV and Channel 5, for their part, appear to be investing nothing in comedy at the moment.

ITV have apparently said that when Coronation Street moves back to Wednesdays next year, they are hoping to use the prime-time slot that it's vacating to introduce new comedies, so hopefully that will happen, and hopefully whatever they produce will be funny and successful.

I also hope that if the comedy produced is good, and not successful, that ITV stick with it for more than one series. Some shows do take a series or two to really get the formula right. Look at Only Fools and Horses (the first series wasn't that good, but future series have produced what are arguably some of the funniest storylines in comedy) and Men Behaving Badly, which didn't really take off until they paired up Martin Clunes and Neil Morrissey.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 23:35   #35
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Another very unfunny sitcom.
Do you have any favourite sitcoms you would like to list Maggy?

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:31   #36
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Outnumbered
Dinner Ladies
Just Good Friends
Keeping Up Appearances
Open All Hours

Scrubs

To name but a few.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:43   #37
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles Crane View Post
Most of these aren't in the poll unfortunately:

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Seinfeld
Frasier
How I Met Your Mother
The Big Bang Theory
The Office (US)

Peep Show
The Inbetweeners
The IT Crowd
3rd Rock From The Sun
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
The King of Queens
Nice to see someone mention these two in particular as they are my two favourite current comedies.
Other favs of mine (Most of which have ended) include....
The young ones
Bottom
Father Ted
Black Books
Arrested Development
Green Wing
30 Rock
Friends
Game on
Garth Marenghis Dark Place.
Modern Family
Phoenix Nights
Scrubs
Red Dwarf
Spaced
The IT Crowd
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:59   #38
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZrByte View Post
Nice to see someone mention these two in particular as they are my two favourite current comedies.
Other favs of mine (Most of which have ended) include....
The young ones
Bottom
Father Ted
Black Books
Arrested Development
Green Wing
30 Rock
Friends
Game on
Garth Marenghis Dark Place.
Modern Family
Phoenix Nights
Scrubs
Red Dwarf
Spaced
The IT Crowd
Sorry l could not list a lot of sitcoms in the poll but it is so difficult but yes some real gems in your list.

---------- Post added at 08:59 ---------- Previous post was at 08:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
Do you have any favourite sitcoms you would like to list Maggy?
Yes Maggy tell us something you like.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:00   #39
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Only fools and Red Dwarf.

I have liked many over the years but frankly after you have seen some of them repeated endlessly they do lose their charm.

My Family has to be one of the very worst of the modern offerings. Well I thought so until I saw an episode of Outnumbered and realised that it could get worse.One could let the kids write the lines...
Old 03-07-2011, 10:32   #40
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Only fools and Red Dwarf.

I have liked many over the years but frankly after you have seen some of them repeated endlessly they do lose their charm.

My Family has to be one of the very worst of the modern offerings. Well I thought so until I saw an episode of Outnumbered and realised that it could get worse.One could let the kids write the lines...
Yes there were some classic episodes in OFAH like Del-boy when he is standing by the bar,The chanderliers, Batman and Robin and the inflatable dolls just to name but a few.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:54   #41
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Not a great lover of Sitcoms and never watched an episode of Only fools and horse and only one episode of Dad's Army... but the three that I most enjoyed was

Open all hours
Red Dwarf

and the best one of the lot...

THE BRITTAS EMPIRE
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:18   #42
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Not a great lover of Sitcoms and never watched an episode of Only fools and horse and only one episode of Dad's Army... but the three that I most enjoyed was

Open all hours
Red Dwarf

and the best one of the lot...

THE BRITTAS EMPIRE
Open All Hours was a favourite of mine with the legendary Ronnie Barker as Arkwright and David Jason as Granville.
Old 03-07-2011, 15:51   #43
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I think that My Family is average comedy at best. I also think that the reason it's still going is simply because we have very little home produced comedy on TV now.

The only terrestrial channels I can think of who produce even a little comedy are the BBC and Channel 4. Of those two, only Channel 4 appears to be investing in a lot of new comedy series. The BBC is investing in 1 or 2, but that's it.

ITV and Channel 5, for their part, appear to be investing nothing in comedy at the moment.

ITV have apparently said that when Coronation Street moves back to Wednesdays next year, they are hoping to use the prime-time slot that it's vacating to introduce new comedies, so hopefully that will happen, and hopefully whatever they produce will be funny and successful.

I also hope that if the comedy produced is good, and not successful, that ITV stick with it for more than one series. Some shows do take a series or two to really get the formula right. Look at Only Fools and Horses (the first series wasn't that good, but future series have produced what are arguably some of the funniest storylines in comedy) and Men Behaving Badly, which didn't really take off until they paired up Martin Clunes and Neil Morrissey.
Am I right in thinking the first series of Men behaving badly was on itv, then it moved to bbc
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 15:59   #44
MadGamer
Eva Longoria Fan

Services: Sky multiroom (Sky Q) Sky Fibre Unlimited Sky Landline
MadGamer has a nice shiny star
MadGamer has a nice shiny starMadGamer has a nice shiny star

Just Good Friends was another one. My mum got me into that show
MadGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 16:04   #45
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGamer View Post
Just Good Friends was another one. My mum got me into that show
Yes it starred Paul Nicholas and Jan Francis and was underrated in my mind.

---------- Post added at 16:04 ---------- Previous post was at 16:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltiger View Post
Am I right in thinking the first series of Men behaving badly was on itv, then it moved to bbc
Yes you are right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Men_Behaving_Badly