Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | complete beginner

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

complete beginner

Old 29-01-2009, 21:19   #1
bonkers82
Inactive

bonkers82 is an unknown quantity at this point
complete beginner

Son get a laptop for Xmas and is connecting to Internet wirelessly. Desktop PC is hard-wired as his Xbox £360). The problem being although we can access all sites using the desktop we can only get onto a few with laptop. Have been in touch with makers of laptop and they have no idea regarding the the problem with the laptop. Am thinking that the problem might be with the router as opposed to the laptop. The router in question is a Dynamode BR6004-1.
Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
bonkers82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-01-2009, 21:41   #2
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Re: complete beginner

Try and swap the laptop with desktop, see if hard wiring it works ?
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 09:29   #3
bonkers82
Inactive

tried swapping laptop with desktop and it works a treat so what can I do to make the laptop work properly wirelessly(wi-fi)?
Old 30-01-2009, 09:46   #4
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

What message are you getting from the sites that don't connect. Are the sites that you can connect to ones that you've accessed when hard wired (wondering if it's cached pages you're getting, i.e. pages the computer is retreiving from it's own memory rather than the internet)

When you are connected wirelessly go to a command prompt and type ipconfig/all and post the results here.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 10:42   #5
bonkers82
Inactive

When trying to connect via laptop the message I am getting is that Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage.
Went to command prompt like you said. This is the results:

Host name: Bonkers-PC
Primary Dns Suffix:
IP Routing Enabled:No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Medfia State: Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:cahooneys
Description:NVIDIA nForce 10/100/1000 Mps networking controller
Physical address: 00-1D-72-67-36-6B
DHCP Enabled:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled:Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection
Media State:Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix:gateway
Description:ATheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
Physical Address:00-22-68-93-52-F7
DHCP Enabled:Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes

Hubby was trying to sort it out last night and now I can't get on the internet at all vis the WiFi.
Old 30-01-2009, 11:01   #6
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star

This isn't a router I'm familiar with. Do you have a set up guide?
You may be better to reset the router to it's factory settings and set it up from scratch. There's usually a little button you access with a pin or paperclip that takes it back to original settings.

Reset the modem too.

From your main PC open internet explorer or whatever browser you use. Log in to the router.192.168.1.1 (I'm not sure what the default name and password is but it should be in your manual - if not try admin/admin or guest/guest. There will be WAN tab or button. Click and check that you have Dynamic or DHCP chosen.

There may be a Wireless tab or button. Ensute the Disable Wireless box is NOT chosen.
In the SSID box type a name for your network and ensure Broadcast SSID box is Enabled.

Save these settings and restart the router.

Now start laptop and see if it can find the SSID you just created, then see if you can get connected to the internet.

If so you can log back into router to set up Security.
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2009, 11:09   #7
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I believe there is a problem with Windows and the Atheros wireless card. I had trouble getting wireless working when running Windows on my Mac. There's a fix from Microsoft which solved it for me, but I've not been able to find it (yet).

Edit: OK: what wireless security are you using? The problem on my Mac was that Windows has trouble using WPA2 on that (maybe different, but definitely Atheros) card. When moving to WPA it managed to connect. Alternatively, apply the update from here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917021

You might want to try changing the wireless security setting first, to see if that solves it.