Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Old 03-12-2016, 11:27   #1
Bambamboyo
Inactive

Bambamboyo is on a distinguished roadBambamboyo is on a distinguished road
All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Makes for some interesting reading!
Hopefully Virgin will issue a firmware update to fix this issue affecting everyone using a hub3

http://m.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/0..._firmware_fix/
Bambamboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2016, 12:28   #2
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough
Re: All hub3 users affected by confirmed latency issue

Ninja'd!

This might go a long way to resolve some of the problems people were reporting with jitter.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 12:48   #3
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

honestly, what do they do with the results of these trials that they run?

just ignore them

absolutely ridiculous for a company of Virginmedia's size.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 17:45   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeninferno View Post
absolutely ridiculous for a company of Virginmedia's size.
Um... How is an Intel chipset issue the fault of Virgin Media

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:15   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
+ its not only Virgin Media who are affected there are other ISPs to.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 18:41   #6
nefu
cf.member

Services: XXL Broadband, XL TV, Tivo, V+, XXL phone, several mobiles!
nefu has disabled reputation

Quote:
It's Virgins fault because this latency showed up in the trials, but they went ahead and issued the faulty kit anyway.
nefu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 21:37   #7
greeninferno
cf.addict

greeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud ofgreeninferno has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefu View Post
It's Virgins fault because this latency showed up in the trials, but they went ahead and issued the faulty kit anyway.
exactly, that is the point of a trial.

same with those Tivos - ridiculously slow and released any way, total nonsense.
greeninferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 01:27   #8
ileikcaek
cf.addict

ileikcaek has disabled reputation

Great news that this is being fixed, it's really frustrating. I'm just hoping VM are fast at rolling out the fix in the new year.
ileikcaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 03:27   #9
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefu View Post
No, its not Virgins fault at all, its Intels fault.

VM obviously decided that the vast majority of people really dont care that much about it, and its something they can fix it by rolling out the fix at some point.
As I keep having to point out to all the SH3 doom and gloom merchants, my service is running just fine, using this so called "faulty kit".

The purpose of a trial is to gather information, and then use that information to make decisions, and clearly they decided they could live with this issue for now.

Old 04-12-2016, 11:04   #10
mike86
cf.addict

mike86 is on a distinguished roadmike86 is on a distinguished road

Finally! My latency went all over the place after getting a SH3.
mike86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 11:52   #11
Rexz
cf.addict

Services: VM 152mbit + TV + Phone
Rexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of lightRexz is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
No, its not Virgins fault at all, its Intels fault.

VM obviously decided that the vast majority of people really dont care that much about it, and its something they can fix it by rolling out the fix at some point.
As I keep having to point out to all the SH3 doom and gloom merchants, my service is running just fine, using this so called "faulty kit".

The purpose of a trial is to gather information, and then use that information to make decisions, and clearly they decided they could live with this issue for now.
Well it clearly is Virgin's fault then for brushing that issue under the carpet. If the problem was apparent and they knew about it then it comes down to Virgin.

If I own a fleet of vans and have purchased them knowing a horrifying issue with say vibration travelling at a speed and proceed to lease them out, who's fault is it? I couldn't just shrug and say it's not my fault, it's the manufacturers. I would end up losing business. I understand business decisions and sure they might have needed to these modems to progress further with their network upgrades, but you can't just wash your hand of problems that were in fact your own doing...
Rexz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 13:08   #12
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexz View Post
Well it clearly is Virgin's fault then for brushing that issue under the carpet. If the problem was apparent and they knew about it then it comes down to Virgin.

If I own a fleet of vans and have purchased them knowing a horrifying issue with say vibration travelling at a speed and proceed to lease them out, who's fault is it? I couldn't just shrug and say it's not my fault, it's the manufacturers. I would end up losing business. I understand business decisions and sure they might have needed to these modems to progress further with their network upgrades, but you can't just wash your hand of problems that were in fact your own doing...
Would you delay the introduction of the vans knowing that the vibration would irritate one group of users, but also knowing that (say) changes made in the engine would allow greater speed for most users? Would you delay the introduction introduction knowing that delaying it would also delay upgrades done elsewhere that benefit other users (how would it look if Virgin did an upgrade that caused further problems in this chipset?). Assuming they were aware of the problem, Virgin would have analysed the situation, and would have worked out whether the benefits of the new box outwieghed the costs (the problems caused by the chipset software being one).

Do I think Virgin is responsible for the problems with the chipset software?No. Do I think they are responsible for ensuring any fix is properly tested and distributed to their users? Yes.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 16:37   #13
The Installer
cf.addict

Services: Telewest Stuff
The Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to allThe Installer is a name known to all

Delay? Why?

Are you telling me that all the other modem manufactures also use the same chip sets in their kit too?

The same would apply for the van's, you'd just go and buy a vehicle from a different manufacturer, simple. And if you are having enough of a certain product, much like VM having modems, you can haggle with the cost too. So yes, if VM were aware of the problem, then either they couldn't be bothered to look at what other kit was on the market, or they have got the current SH3's so cheap that no one else comes close price wise, but you also get what you pay for in life too...
The Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 19:14   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexz View Post
Well it clearly is Virgin's fault then for brushing that issue under the carpet.
The only two things clear are its an Intel chip fault, and your desire to blame Virgin for everything.

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Installer View Post
Are you telling me that all the other modem manufactures also use the same chip sets in their kit too?
All ? I doubt it, but as the very first line says ;
Quote:
Intel's Puma 6 chipset, used in gigabit broadband modems around the world
(i.e. Comcast, Arris, and other un-named providers).

There are plenty of screw ups made by VM, but this isnt one of them, its Intels fault, no one else.

Old 04-12-2016, 19:32   #15
Bambamboyo
Inactive

Bambamboyo is on a distinguished roadBambamboyo is on a distinguished road

There is more being discussed on this issue over on the virgin community forum which gives more detail and makes for some interesting reading.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...e/td-p/3271492
Bambamboyo is offline   Reply With Quote