Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Digital Voice information and VM charging us twice for bandwidth?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Digital Voice information and VM charging us twice for bandwidth?

Old 24-07-2017, 01:14   #1
gimpymoo
cf.addict

gimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enoughgimpymoo will become famous soon enough
Digital Voice information and VM charging us twice for bandwidth?

Is there any information on VM plans for digital phone lines using the hubs to plug your phone into?

Cheaper tariffs?
Keep existing POTS numbers?

Any additional services being offered with it being on a digital platform?

Any idea what bandwidth calls will use?

I need my phone socket moving but will not bother if can just use the modem

Also, what with the V6 now piggy backing off our home connection and inevitably for cost, phone lines running off it too, are we not soon going to be in a position of us buying bandwidth from Virgin Media for them to then sell it to us again when we use their services?

Sounds like a good scam to me

Last edited by gimpymoo; 24-07-2017 at 01:20.
gimpymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-07-2017, 11:36   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Digital Voice information and VM charging us twice for bandwidth?

Same tariffs for now, yes you can keep existing numbers, no additional services currently, bandwidth is currently 128Kbps channels per voice call I believe and is segregated from your standard internet connection.

HTH

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 11:49   #3
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

You can't current choose which system your phone line uses.

Only customers in some FTTH areas have their VM home phone via the Hub 3.0 - everyone else has their landline via a separate cable.
Old 24-07-2017, 17:57   #4
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

It won't be charging you twice for bandwidth. Obviously VM will be earning a profit on it but the bandwidth won't be the cost to VM. It will be the backend equipment, costs to connect to other providers etc etc
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2017, 19:10   #5
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

A simple way would be to move your phone to a SIP or VOIP provider.

I moved my old POTS issued number over the Voipfone and use a Panasonic cordless which hooks into their service. Works a charm on Virgin and the call quality appears to be excellent. It's also cheap for what I need, especially since the primary reason to keep a land line is to keep call costs down for relatives calling from overseas.

Just ensure that you change your default security settings otherwise you may find people attempting to hack you if you leave the port settings default.
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 12:24   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelstar View Post
A simple way would be to move your phone to a SIP or VOIP provider.

I moved my old POTS issued number over the Voipfone and use a Panasonic cordless which hooks into their service. Works a charm on Virgin and the call quality appears to be excellent. It's also cheap for what I need, especially since the primary reason to keep a land line is to keep call costs down for relatives calling from overseas.

Just ensure that you change your default security settings otherwise you may find people attempting to hack you if you leave the port settings default.
This. VOIP is so cheap and there's no real reason not to use it.

With one slight exception - if your internet goes down, you have no phone to call support, so make sure you've got a backup mobile phone as well (and who doesn't these days).

As a final warning, remember that during a power cut there's a reasonable chance your mobile will go down as well, whereas phone lines tend to work.

We're talking serious edge cases at this point, though, so it's really only a concern for those who are vulnerable and have the lifeline systems.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2017, 16:42   #7
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

SIpgate provide a free number if you're just wanting to accept incoming calls.

I've got one for things like gumtree etc, so I don't have to give out my actual number, just have the SIP account setup natively in Android
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2017, 15:39   #8
Travelstar
cf.member

Travelstar is on a distinguished roadTravelstar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
SIpgate provide a free number if you're just wanting to accept incoming calls.

I've got one for things like gumtree etc, so I don't have to give out my actual number, just have the SIP account setup natively in Android
True, but customer service with them is dreadful. Also I don't think you can port numbers over to them (or at least there was an issue in the past).

Voipfone seems great and their outgoing call costs are reasonable for domestic calls. I use another SIP provider for international calls which makes all major providers look expensive (didlogic).
Travelstar is offline   Reply With Quote