Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Security on an Android tablet

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows 11 24H2 Enables Bitlocker by default

Old 09-05-2024, 10:16   #1
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Windows 11 24H2 Enables Bitlocker by default

I foresee this being a nightmare unable to access their PCs

From what I can gather this will only be with clean installs and not an upgrade. I will be creating my install media with Rufus with bitlocker disabled

https://www.windowslatest.com/2024/0...on-by-default/
Old 09-05-2024, 15:47   #2
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age
Re: Windows 11 24H2 Enables Bitlocker by default

Nice one Microsoft, make it even more likely that next year I get rid of Windows from my PC, it just depends on Bungie and their plans for Destiny 2 and possibly Destiny 3.

If Bungie add keyboard and mouse support to the Console version of Destiny 3 if it comes, then Windows will be ripped of this pc never to touch it again and a variant of Linux will be installed on it.
Old 09-05-2024, 18:14   #3
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

I haven't had the last several updates, which according to news articles are bad for a PC, and I won't be installing this one either.
Old 09-05-2024, 18:22   #4
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
Nice one Microsoft, make it even more likely that next year I get rid of Windows from my PC, it just depends on Bungie and their plans for Destiny 2 and possibly Destiny 3.

If Bungie add keyboard and mouse support to the Console version of Destiny 3 if it comes, then Windows will be ripped of this pc never to touch it again and a variant of Linux will be installed on it.
Well the only game i play regularly is Elite Dangerous and thankfully it works fine on Linux. Will Microsoft give me the excuse to jump ship.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 18:59   #5
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

It is easy enough to get around for those who know the score hence the reason for this post. No need for a knee jerk reaction
Old 09-05-2024, 19:20   #6
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
It is easy enough to get around for those who know the score hence the reason for this post. No need for a knee jerk reaction
It's not a knee jerk reaction. I have found Windows 11 to be at best about usable and at worst down right crap. I have a duel boot with Linux Mint which does everything windows does without the bloatware and adverts.

The only game i play all the time works perfectly in fact i get a higher frame rate. My PC boots quicker under Linux, it does not have all of the telemetry happening in the background that windows has, I can install software without the mandatory reboot you get with windows. I do think if more people were to try Linux they would find it no different to windows. As i pointed out the time for my complete move to Linux is gathering pace and on a personal level for me see no downsides to it.

Other peoples mileage may vary of coarse and linux is not for everyone. If people are happy to let Microsoft sell there data to the highest bidder good for them

As for work rounds

A. why should i have to.
B. Those who are not in the know or are not tech savvy what do they do.
C. Microsoft have a habit of removing work around's with every update which then forces more work arounds.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 09-05-2024 at 19:28.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 19:27   #7
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

TBH I do not see any ads and have all the telemetry disabled. It you install English international you get no bloatware and I run my games @1440p ultra on my 4070TI no issue. Have absolutely no issues with Windows 11. Gutted WSA is being retired though.

As you say mileages will vary. Last time I tried nix there were missing drivers and issues
Old 09-05-2024, 19:42   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Whats the issue with bitlocker ?

I've had it on my work laptop for years without any problem.

I just enter a password (that I set) on startup, its not exactly rocket science.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 19:57   #9
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Whats the issue with bitlocker ?

I've had it on my work laptop for years without any problem.

I just enter a password (that I set) on startup, its not exactly rocket science.
The issue here is it can be set automatically with a repair install and the user may not have access to the account. It will happen in a small amount of cases. The thing is to spread the warning so users can ensure they have all the details they need to recover the password/log in required just in case
Old 09-05-2024, 22:36   #10
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

you can disable it with rufus when writing iso to usb
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2024, 08:16   #11
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
you can disable it with rufus when writing iso to usb
The OP says that
Old 11-05-2024, 00:09   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I would imagine you can also turn it off in windows settings.

Old 11-05-2024, 08:17   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I would imagine you can also turn it off in windows settings.
Not when you are doing a recovery

Possible scenario

User ungrades to 24H2 using Windows Update. This does not enable BitLocker as the system settings are migrated

Down the line the system crashes and the user uses system recovery to do a repair install. This moves existing windows into a backup folder and installs fresh windows even if you save settings and files I believe Bitlocker will then be enabled once the repair has finished
Old 11-05-2024, 15:09   #14
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

I think you misunderstand, I mean once everything is installed and running.

Old 11-05-2024, 17:26   #15
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
No knee jerk reaction mate, I have been saying the same thing with Windows 11 since they removed the ability to have a local account without needing to go round the houses to create one.

People should not need to have a Microsoft Account if they don't want to, people should not have to go and download possibly dangerous tools to turn off the data collection that Microsoft are doing in Windows 10 and Windows 11.

People should not have to pay for an Operating system only to be told they cannot run it how they want, without needing to purchase additional software or install backdoor hacks that mess with the Registry files in order to run it how you want to run it.

I also don't want to have to lose performance of my pc due to Microsoft supposedly wanting my PC to be "Secure" and also increasing the reads and writes on my SSD, which is what happens when you have Bitlocker enabled.

I am currently looking at creating a custom ISO or possibly installing a fresh copy of Windows and some other bit's then creating a "Install ISO" from that.