Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Undercover at Deliveroo - the reality of being a self-employed rider

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Undercover at Deliveroo - the reality of being a self-employed rider

Old 21-02-2017, 20:28   #1
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Undercover at Deliveroo - the reality of being a self-employed rider

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2017-...mployed-rider/

ach time l read, or hear of companies that do this type of work. Always puzzles me why people do this type of work.

Companies only operate this was, as they know people will do anything for money. Only to find out that they get a pittance of money for it.

When l was in employed. I was desperate for work and found an advert asking for people in my area delivering leaflets.

I called the number in the Advert. And was told that l would get £15.00 to deliver to 20 streets. And l could do it when l wanted. BUT, would get paid when l returned that day.

The funny part of the tv report on this. AFTER, the reporter told the company they were undercover. He was told that he would get a £50.00 bonus - what a load of tosh

After l delivered the leaflets, l went back for my money.Only to be told that 'they claimed l hadn't delivered to a certain street - as one of there Managers lived down there' I didn't get paid.

Companies will do anything t get round paying workers there rightful money.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2017, 21:54   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Undercover at Deliveroo - the reality of being a self-employed rider

You answered your own question.

Quote:
ach time l read, or hear of companies that do this type of work. Always puzzles me why people do this type of work.

Companies only operate this was, as they know people will do anything for money. Only to find out that they get a pittance of money for it.

When l was in employed. I was desperate for work and found an advert asking for people in my area delivering leaflets.
Old 22-02-2017, 09:44   #3
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I'm rather puzzled as to how someone can claim to be self employed yet only work for one other company. IR35 was set out to specifically exclude this.

In a nutshell if you provide services to one company only during a 24 month period you are deemed to be working for that company.
Old 22-02-2017, 13:37   #4
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I wonder if Big Issue resellers come under IR35?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:05   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I wonder if Big Issue resellers come under IR35?
No. The Big Issue is a wholesaler, the only employees are the journalists and those working in the distribution centres.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 17:22   #6
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I'm rather puzzled as to how someone can claim to be self employed yet only work for one other company. IR35 was set out to specifically exclude this.

In a nutshell if you provide services to one company only during a 24 month period you are deemed to be working for that company.
Not strictly true .I fit doors and windows on a self employed basis and i only work for one company ,i supply my own tools and my own van,all perfectly legit .However a few years ago i worked for a similar company as a self employed fitter but they supplied the van and when they went under i was granted redundancy as an employed person,i was classed as employed because they supplied the van .It's perfectly fine to be self employed ,working for one company as long as you maintain the ability to work elsewhere
Old 22-02-2017, 18:42   #7
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
....i supply my own tools and my own van,all perfectly legit .
I thought you didn't drive a van?

Quote:
....and who's the white van man you keep referring to ? cos it's not me....
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 18:46   #8
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It might not be white...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 18:47   #9
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Not strictly true .I fit doors and windows on a self employed basis and i only work for one company ,i supply my own tools and my own van,all perfectly legit .However a few years ago i worked for a similar company as a self employed fitter but they supplied the van and when they went under i was granted redundancy as an employed person,i was classed as employed because they supplied the van .It's perfectly fine to be self employed ,working for one company as long as you maintain the ability to work elsewhere
This was advice from my accountant about the 24 month limit.
Old 22-02-2017, 20:25   #10
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:
This was advice from my accountant about the 24 month limit.
I think a lot depends on the industry.For me in my industry it would simply be impractical for me and financially devastating for the company.I do appreciate though that some companies will take the pee and use self employment as a way of absolving themselves of responsibility when in reality it would be perfectly possible to employ their staff.As for the 24 month rule or IR35 as a sole trader it wouldn't affect me anyway

---------- Post added at 19:25 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
I thought you didn't drive a van?
I never said that ,get your facts right
Old 22-02-2017, 20:27   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
I think a lot depends on the industry.For me in my industry it would simply be impractical for me and financially devastating for the company.I do appreciate though that some companies will take the pee and use self employment as a way of absolving themselves of responsibility when in reality it would be perfectly possible to employ their staff.As for the 24 month rule or IR35 as a sole trader it wouldn't affect me anyway
I think you're right as a sole trader. I provide my services through my own limited company so the rule applies. Not a problem as I have a number of clients that give me regular work.

Strictly speaking I'm not self employed but employed by the company that I own. I could sack myself.
Old 22-02-2017, 20:34   #12
martyh

Quote:
I think you're right as a sole trader. I provide my services through my own limited company so the rule applies. Not a problem as I have a number of clients that give me regular work.

Strictly speaking I'm not self employed but employed by the company that I own. I could sack myself.
That's correct ,the rules for limited company owners and sole traders are different and one of the reasons i won't set up a limited company is because it gets so bloody complicated ,staying as a sole trader suits me just fine
Old 22-02-2017, 20:59   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:

You're fired for revealing company secrets on a public site!
Old 22-02-2017, 22:58   #14
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I think everyone is missing a big point here.
Major companies that are involved in all this stuff. Don't care a damn about rules and regs. If they can get away with it, they will.

You nly have to look at this rickshaw riders in Central London. Rip off merchants. And Westminster Council are trying to change things so that they pay a fare whack to them. And charge reasonable rate.

Its like Black cabs are fighting Uber, as there drivers don't pay charge at Heathrow to collect fares, whereas Black Cabs do.

Its like all these Zero Hour contract companies, they are the same.

Amazon for example, they were in the news recently for one of there warehouses and the strict guidelines they follow.

Its no good Directors or owners of companies saying that there employees are self employees, therefore cannot claim rights such as sick pay, Holiday pay etc. Its the money they make to get a huge profit on someone else's back.

When l delivered wine for a sub contractors. I fell into a similar trick. I was employed by a sub contractor. Delivered goods all over the UK. My boss was paid so much per box. If l broke anything, l had to pay out of my wages. If l got parking tickets, it came out of my wages.
I wasn't allowed sick pay, or even holiday pay.

When my wife was nearly killed in a car crash. My boss told me, when l visited my wife in hospital. That l had to return as soon as possible as l wouldn't get paid for it.

When l told the main company, that l couldn't do the work - they told me l hadn't got a job. And had to find my own way back from Bellmarsh, in Kent.

A good C.A.B advisor told me to go to a solicitor. I did. It went to a tribunal and l won.

I was told that, my employer told them l was employed. But to the main company l was self employed as a sub contractor.

My employer broke many Acts under the Employment rights of a worker. IF. people don't read the Contract of employment when you join a company. The company can do what they want to you.

Does any member of this forum read a contract before signing it ? Its in the small print. And this is where all these companies get you on.

I just feel sorry for any self employed driver / or worker. As companies will make you work your socks off. And wont give a damn. As there is always someone that will take your place
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 23:19   #15
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

IF I sign a contract of employment then I know who I am working for and on what grounds.

If I sign a contract as an a person who has put a price in for a specific, limited time job (erecting a building or whatever) I know what I will get providing I meet the terms of that agreement as I would have put a price in according to the terms and requirements.

Uber drivers have just won a case where they are employees. Black cabs as per regulations have to be self-employed and enjoy benefits that other "taxi firms" do not have.

Anything else Arthur?