Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wifi Buddy using lots of Data

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Wifi Buddy using lots of Data

Old 28-06-2017, 12:54   #1
skattie22
Inactive

skattie22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wifi Buddy using lots of Data

over the last 3 week the Wifi app has used 100MB of my data, the very thing which is supposed to save my data is using it!
Sorry I cannot provide more info because I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app, and turned data off until I get a new bucketful
but I'm using Samsung S3
skattie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-06-2017, 13:05   #2
arcimedes
cf.mega poster

Services: TV XL ,TiVo X 2, 200Mb Broadband XL phone
arcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond reputearcimedes has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Wifi Buddy using lots of Data

Are you in an area where it finds available wifi? Mine in 3 weeks has used 2.67 MB but there are only a few connections shown all of which are commercial.
arcimedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 13:16   #3
skattie22
Inactive

Yes there are hotspots all around, but it's pitiful that the app which is supposed to save my data is using it!

How exactly does it work anyway? because I connect to known networks automatically, but still have to sign in via the browser (e.g. _theCloud)
Old 28-06-2017, 13:54   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Is it WiFi Buddy or Virgin Media WiFi you're using?

If it's WiFi Bubbdy, as long as your S3 is on Android 4.3, you should look at upgrading the app to Virgin Media WiFi - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ewifi&hl=en_GB

That should stop the need to sign into the networks the phone connects you to, adds the Hub hotspots to the available networks you can connect to, and all the main networks are secure rather than open.
Old 28-06-2017, 14:02   #5
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

_theCloud is a free Sky service so no wonder you have to sign in.

Wifi buudy will only save your data allowance if there was a VM Hotspot nearby. If there's no VM hotspots near you it's useless and is likely to be using bandwidth to send telemetry back.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 14:09   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Wifi buudy will only save your data allowance if there was a VM Hotspot nearby. If there's no VM hotspots near you it's useless and is likely to be using bandwidth to send telemetry back.
That's not correct.

WiFi Buddy used third party hotspots - including the The Cloud.

Virgin Media WiFi also uses The Cloud, but uses the secure '_The Cloud X' version, alongside the hotspots created by the Hubs and the ex-Arqiva WiFi service in Airports.

Last edited by BenMcr; 28-06-2017 at 14:12.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 15:00   #7
skattie22
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Is it WiFi Buddy or Virgin Media WiFi you're using?
It was VM WiFi, after uninstall /reinstall it went back to Buddy and now I see it is VM WiFi again.
Old 28-06-2017, 15:40   #8
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That's not correct.

WiFi Buddy used third party hotspots - including the The Cloud.

Virgin Media WiFi also uses The Cloud, but uses the secure '_The Cloud X' version, alongside the hotspots created by the Hubs and the ex-Arqiva WiFi service in Airports.
OK Ben. I accept that now could you explain how the app can save you data.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 15:45   #9
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

How does it get the map data when not connected to Wifi? Is that the issue? It can't indicate "there's a VM hotspot 100m from you" without having to access a load of data from somewhere/
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 16:07   #10
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

Why would it need any map data?
It just needs to look for a wifi source, broadcasting with an SSID of Virgin Media.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 17:58   #11
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
It just needs to look for a wifi source, broadcasting with an SSID of Virgin Media.
How would it pick up SSID from two miles away?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0130.jpg (153.9 KB, 10 views)
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 18:23   #12
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
The app shows a map. Even if there isn't a hotspot in the immediate vicinity, it needs to tell where there is. I could be in London, but use it before a trip to Birmingham and find out where the hotspots are.

Not all VM SSIDs are a hotspot and not all eligible hotspots are VM routers.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 18:35   #13
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
OK Ben. I accept that now could you explain how the app can save you data.
It's designed to 'offload' your mobile data usage on configured WiFi services whenever you're in range of one, rather than your tariff data allowance.
Old 28-06-2017, 19:11   #14
roseandjim
cf.member

roseandjim is an unknown quantity at this point

I have installed Virgin Wi-Fi and when I am in range of my home Hub3 its seems to work and I get the pink circles but out of range of my home hub it doesn't work, is this because I have data permanently turned off?
roseandjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 22:54   #15
skattie22
Inactive

well I'm back... got a refresh on my data allowance so let's try again, after 1 day Virgin Media WiFi has used 10.65MB of data, so it's goodbye VM WiFi, I still don't know what benefit you are but you are using more data than you save, bye bye