Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V+ recordings inaccessible after replacement by Tivo?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V+ recordings inaccessible after replacement by Tivo?

Old 19-12-2015, 01:42   #1
AFC
Inactive

Services: TV BB Phone
AFC is an unknown quantity at this point
V+ recordings inaccessible after replacement by Tivo?

Hi All

First post, as have just joined.

I have just received Tivo and installed it, in place of my previous V+ box.

We had a number of recordings still unwatched on the V+ box, which we hoped to see.

Prior to disconnecting the V+ box, I disconnected its white "IN" cable from Virgin, and checked whether I could then still view and play back my recordings. I found that I could.

I then went ahead and installed the Tivo.

When, a few days later, I tried to fire up my old V+ box, purely to play back these already-recorded programmes, it would not even boot up, much less display the menu of recorded programmes for me to select from.

Have I effectively now "lost" these old programmes, locked away on the drive of the V+, but inaccessible?

Any advice or work-arounds welcome.
AFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2015, 18:13   #2
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS
Re: V+ recordings inaccessible after replacement by Tivo?

If as part of your upgrade the TiVo was a replacement to the vPlus then they will want it back, and the vPlus would have been cancelled / deactivated.

If you are still paying for the vPlus box then you will need to get the box reactivated to access the recordings
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 19:02   #3
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
If as part of your upgrade the TiVo was a replacement to the vPlus then they will want it back, and the vPlus would have been cancelled / deactivated.

If you are still paying for the vPlus box then you will need to get the box reactivated to access the recordings

I believe that they only want the V+ back if it is a Samsung, as that is capable of mpeg 4. The SA boxes can only do mpeg 2, so are of no further use.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 19:18   #4
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
I believe that they only want the V+ back if it is a Samsung, as that is capable of mpeg 4. The SA boxes can only do mpeg 2, so are of no further use.
Yeah thats right... we still install the Samsung V+
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 20:27   #5
djmagnifique
cf.geek

Services: XL tv with 2x V6 boxes, M phone, 350Mb broadband
djmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond reputedjmagnifique has a reputation beyond repute

I think what the OP is trying to do is play the recordings from the V+ box without it being connected to the Virgin network by the white coax cable. Don't VM boxes have to be connected to the network for them to work even just to watch recordings?
djmagnifique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 21:20   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Virgin disable the vplus features on the old box when the tivo is installed, its not a doorstop
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 13:08   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
The official line from the VM Community Forum team is that only TiVO's now need to be returned on the TV eqiupment side.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...t/true#M127633
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2015, 15:31   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmagnifique View Post
I think what the OP is trying to do is play the recordings from the V+ box without it being connected to the Virgin network by the white coax cable. Don't VM boxes have to be connected to the network for them to work even just to watch recordings?
Virgin's PVRs retain some functionality if the cable is disconnected - as long they are left powered on.

They work like that so if they're is an area or cable fault, you can continue to access your recordings until it's fixed.

However if the boxes are turned off, then they require an active subscription and connection in place during start up, otherwise they won't work.
Old 20-12-2015, 18:21   #9
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Virgin's PVRs retain some functionality if the cable is disconnected - as long they are left powered on.

They work like that so if they're is an area or cable fault, you can continue to access your recordings until it's fixed.

However if the boxes are turned off, then they require an active subscription and connection in place during start up, otherwise they won't work.
Not if it has been replaced with a tivo, a message appears saying your v+subscription has been deactivated
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:08   #10
Maccgordon
Inactive

Maccgordon is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: V+ recordings inaccessible after replacement by Tivo?

Yes, as per above posts, my V+ allowed me to play my recordings after disconnection until it was powered off by accident. Then it would not reboot fully. So over a month after Virgin discontinued the V+ and I disconnected mine, I reconnected it and that was enough to allow the reboot to finish, 101 to be displayed and my recordings to reappear. Lucky? I disconnected it straight away and will now renew my attempts to copy the recordings off before the next accidental power off.
Maccgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 00:03   #11
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccgordon View Post
Yes, as per above posts, my V+ allowed me to play my recordings after disconnection until it was powered off by accident. Then it would not reboot fully. So over a month after Virgin discontinued the V+ and I disconnected mine, I reconnected it and that was enough to allow the reboot to finish, 101 to be displayed and my recordings to reappear. Lucky? I disconnected it straight away and will now renew my attempts to copy the recordings off before the next accidental power off.
101 will work as the channel is one of only a few that are unencrypted & don't need a valid viewing card. As to whether your recordings will play, if the viewing card has been wiped off the system I doubt it.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:04   #12
Maccgordon
Inactive

Maccgordon is an unknown quantity at this point

I can confirm that AFC and BenMcr are correct in saying that recordings will still play when the V+ is disconnected by removing its cable. The recordings are stored locally on the V+
Maccgordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 19:25   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Are recordings also stored locally with the TiVo/V6?
RichardCoulter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:55   #14
bubblegun
cf.addict

Services: Virgin TV 360 Virgin 500Mb FTTP -AX86+AC86U AIMesh - O2 Mobile
bubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nicebubblegun is just really nice

FYI, This thread is quite old (~18 Months) and "AFC" never replied.

You should always watch the old recordings before you upgrade on any TV service as you are unlikely to be able to get them back.
bubblegun is offline   Reply With Quote