Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 08-10-2013, 15:36   #46
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Fixed the power switch on our dishwasher for the second time. It's a Hoover HEDS 668 and the mount where the switch is located started to disintegrate so I drilled a couple of holes further down, used a couple of tie wraps and it was ok for about a year then the plastic started to disintegrate even more so the ties were no good, had to drill through the front of the face plate, add a lid off of a drinks bottle and again use ties to secure the switch through the face plate.
What I'm wondering is why is the plastic becoming brittle and disintegrating.
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-10-2013, 15:44   #47
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
What I'm wondering is why is the plastic becoming brittle and disintegrating.
Poor quality plastic everything is built as cheaply as possible these days.
Old 09-10-2013, 20:23   #48
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Fixed the paper holder on a lever arch file. Spring had come out.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 20:55   #49
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Kinked / blocked waste pipe?
I did look and it appears that it does not kink as it flows out and the top of the machine stops it short of hitting the pipe pushed back. My old man said it might be flow and the stopping a time based error. Need to wait till it happens again now lol

---------- Post added at 19:55 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
Is it plugged into the mains behind the machine if so check if the plug is pushed fully in or if the socket is dodgy try wiggling the plug and seeing if the machine cuts out.

The other thing it could be is syphoning. Is your drain hose pushed down a drain pipe or is connected to the plumbing under the sink? If the former check the hose isn't going right down to the bottom of the pipe. Pulling the machine out could be pulling the hose back up the pipe stopping it syphoning

also what is the model of the machine?

It does not switch off it errors

It fits behind in a pipe but there is a ring on the pipe stops it going to far ( I believe will check that)

Whirlpool zwf 14070w
Old 10-10-2013, 11:32   #50
multiskilled
cf.geek

multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

I cant find this particular model in the whirlpool range only a zanussi. Do you get any fault codes on the display if it has one ie F07 or does any other lights flash when it stops.
Could you post a picture of the machine as this could help me identify the model.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:19   #51
Nidge41
Permanently Banned

Services: Sky TV, VM 100Meg Broadband
Nidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of lightNidge41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
That's an excellent result. Can't help wondering how many breakdowns could be so easily resolved.
There's nothing in the back of them, a drum, motor, pump and some wires. The pump was the first thing I went for was the pump for some strange reason. It worked and is still working so everyone is happy.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I have a strange fault. My washing machine was cutting out mid wash the run/pause was flashing and nothing helped it would not start back up. I cleaned the filter. Upon pulling the washing machine out it worked again pushed it in and it failed. It runs full cycle pulled out . I have checked for loose connections inside. Any ideas. It is s whirlpool btw
Sounds like your control board has had it's day. Is it still under warranty?

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
and you made £3.50 out of it
That was my bonus for the day.
Nidge41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:22   #52
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
I cant find this particular model in the whirlpool range only a zanussi. Do you get any fault codes on the display if it has one ie F07 or does any other lights flash when it stops.
Could you post a picture of the machine as this could help me identify the model.
sorry my old one was Whirlpool it is a Zanusi lol there is no display the pause play button just flashes

---------- Post added at 09:22 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidge41 View Post
There's nothing in the back of them, a drum, motor, pump and some wires. The pump was the first thing I went for was the pump for some strange reason. It worked and is still working so everyone is happy.

---------- Post added at 09:18 ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 ----------

Sounds like your control board has had it's day. Is it still under warranty?

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 ----------

That was my bonus for the day.
unfortunately not its not been used much. It is working now which is of course strange but when it dies I will buy cheap and not expect it to last lol
Old 11-10-2013, 21:42   #53
multiskilled
cf.geek

Zanussi not a manufacturer I do.From what I've read the number of flashes and the colour gives a fault code which helps point to the problem.
Try this site.

http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk
Old 22-10-2013, 11:02   #54
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

My rat mouse
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 11:50   #55
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

changed a lightbulb lol
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 12:18   #56
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Bedside digital clock. The time setting buttons went all floppy when I tried to put the hour back. Opened it up and a pillar supporting the switch PCB had broken off from the case.

I made up a "dam" from 2mm foam tape and this contained some Araldite to hold the broken pillar:

Attachment 25031

Here's the PCB assemblys, has "click domes" that are pressed by the buttons:

Attachment 25032

Removed the foam tape and reassembled. Works a treat now.

Did something similar when our bathroom DAD radio suffered a broken volume button. It turned out to be just a small broken piece of plastic which was there to secure the rocker type button in place directly above the actual switch. Managed to wedge something in there to hold the button in place and the set's been working fine for the last couple of years. If it goes again I know exactly what to do.

Yesterday I fixed a much loved glass clock given to us as a wedding present. The thing had stopped ticking some time ago and a new battery hadn't done the trick. Looking at it, I soon realised that the battery operated clock mechanism was exactly the same as another we had in a horrid cheap clock we were going to throw away. I disassembled the glass clock, removed the hands, then took out the clock mechanism and simply replaced it with the donor assembly. Unfortunately the hands aren't exactly the same as the originals from the faulty unit wouldn't fit on it but I don't suppose anyone else would notice.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2013, 17:03   #57
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Carry on like this and we could kill the economic recovery...
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 15:23   #58
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Quote:
A buddy asked me to look at an electric curtain controller. No display or action.

Turned out that a track on the PCB had cracked next to a (hot!) dropper resistor in the power supply regulator. Classic failure: Heat and cool cycles cause the copper track to harden and then crack just at the edge of the solder joint. I've lost count of the number of these I've seen and fixed over the years.

That'll be a few beers he owes me.
Thanks to RoHS I bet
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:33   #59
progers
Pete

Services: Broadband Up to 100Mb ~ TV Mix & TiVo 1Tb ~ Phone: Talk More Anytime
progers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these partsprogers is just so famous around these parts

The Vicar's laptop
progers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19   #60
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

The head on the vacuum cleaner (twisty bit separated from the main head). Bit of a struggle getting the spring back in place but I did it.

And replaced the boot handle on the car which contains the number plate lights.
Angua is offline   Reply With Quote