Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Another Excel question!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Another Excel question!

Old 05-10-2006, 21:03   #16
LSainsbury

Services: TV: Sky HD, Landline: BT, Mobile: Orange, Internet: Quite Slow!
Re: Another Excel question!

Arrrghhhhh...Just one small issue....

When no times are entered, the total says "7:30"
Anyway of getting that to report 0?

Cheers

Lee
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2006, 21:11   #17
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Nest another IF dependent on whether A2 is 0/blank...
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 21:33   #18
LSainsbury

Grrrr - not sure I've done it right....
Old 05-10-2006, 22:07   #19
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Code:
=IF(A2<>0,IF((TIMEVALUE("7:30 AM")-A2)<0,0,TIMEVALUE("7:30 AM")-A2)+IF((B2-TIMEVALUE("18:30"))<0,0,B2-TIMEVALUE("18:30")),0)
Try that...
Old 05-10-2006, 23:42   #20
fireman328
Inactive

fireman328 has reached the bronze age
fireman328 has reached the bronze agefireman328 has reached the bronze age

My brain is beginning to hurt, I think I have opened a can of worms. I shall have to give her a severe talking to,
for bringing it up !!!!! (Double entendres intended)
fireman328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 23:47   #21
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman328 View Post
My brain is beginning to hurt, I think I have opened a can of worms. I shall have to give her a severe talking to,
for bringing it up !!!!! (Double entendres intended)
Ummm... Perhaps the wrong thread Fireman?
Old 06-10-2006, 07:36   #22
LSainsbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Code:
=IF(A2<>0,IF((TIMEVALUE("7:30 AM")-A2)<0,0,TIMEVALUE("7:30 AM")-A2)+IF((B2-TIMEVALUE("18:30"))<0,0,B2-TIMEVALUE("18:30")),0)
Try that...
That changes it to 00:00 but when times are entered it brings up a load of hashes!!

My brain hurts too!!
Old 06-10-2006, 07:47   #23
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsainsbury View Post
Arrrghhhhh...Just one small issue....

When no times are entered, the total says "7:30"
Anyway of getting that to report 0?

Cheers

Lee
OK, this will say "Blank" if the start time cell is empty:

=IF(ISBLANK(A2),"Blank",IF((TIMEVALUE("7:30 AM")-A2)<0,0,TIMEVALUE("7:30 AM")-A2)+IF((B2-TIMEVALUE("18:30"))<0,0,B2-TIMEVALUE("18:30")))

Replace "Blank" with "" or 0, or whatever you like.

Edit: Cobbydaler's formula works for me - did you paste it into the correct place? And change the cell format to hh:mm?
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 13:51   #24
LSainsbury

Still having a few issues with this - is it becuase 24hr clock and AM / PM has been mixed in the formula???
Old 09-10-2006, 13:55   #25
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Still having a few issues with this - is it becuase 24hr clock and AM / PM has been mixed in the formula???
The times entered will all have to be in 24 hr format...

The cells your entering into will have to be formatted hh:mm...
Old 09-10-2006, 14:27   #26
LSainsbury

Yep - done that - made sure all the cells are hh:mm.

Just done a bit of mucking about:

Quote:
=IF(ISBLANK(E10),"None",IF((TIMEVALUE("7:30 AM")-E10)<0,0,TIMEVALUE("7:30 AM")-E10)+IF((F10-TIMEVALUE("18:30"))<0,0,F10-TIMEVALUE("18:30")))

...works a treat!

Thanks to everybody who helped in the formula!
Old 09-10-2006, 15:15   #27
TheNorm
Inactive

Services: Sky TV, VM TV, 20meg bb, tel, and a lobster (but the lobster died).
TheNorm has a nice shiny star
TheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny starTheNorm has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Yep ...Just done a bit of mucking about:
Well, I can't see what you've changed apart from the cell references, but glad to see that you are happy! Excel can be both wonderful and wonderfully frustrating!!
TheNorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 15:51   #28
LSainsbury

I think it was something to do with my cell formats....I blasted them and re-did them...all now ok...
Old 18-10-2006, 12:45   #29
liamboyle06
Inactive

Services: 3 Mobile Sky+ HD NWE 2MB Wireless Broadband XBOX 360 PS3 Wii
liamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of lightliamboyle06 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to liamboyle06

If you do not mind me hi-jacking this thread, I have another Excel question.

I have lists of cells each containing a date and Time (dd/mm/yyyy HH:mm:ss), I can format the cells to show the dates of the months only (1 February 2006 etc), but when I pivot the table to get a count of the number of dates, it includes the time also.
Is there any way around this.

I have tried to format the pivot table for the dates only, but does not give correct results, i tried using ASAP to delete all characters after the 5th, still will not work - any ideas any one.

I have attached an example to show.
liamboyle06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2006, 13:07   #30
gazzae
Inactive

gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze
gazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronzegazzae is cast in bronze

Don't use pivot tables much myself so there may be an easier way.

But if you add another column use the following formula to grab just the date...

=TEXT(B2,"dddd, mmmm dd, yyyy")

and then do the count on this column,
gazzae is offline   Reply With Quote